Nature Journal | Teen Ink

Nature Journal

Day 1: October 13, 2014
Today I was sitting on my porch and I heard a cricket chirping in the blackberries. It would stop as a car drove by, but then it would go right back on its way. The tune was so distinct as it echoed throughout the night. I sometimes thought I could hear two, and then more and more joined the chorus of little critters. Then, like a flash of lightning, they stopped and only one was left.

The river drowned out the crickets, and new thoughts of the night flooded through my mind. There was a pathway down to the river. It was overgrown with poker bushes and logs. This reminds me that the right path isn't always the best, but we must persevere and dodge the obstacles. The night was coming on, and the wind was dying and all over the sky light faded. My porch light penetrated the night on a patch of dandelions that were closed. The breeze blew past. The majestic movement of the flowers, was made even more beautiful trying to hide from the moonlight. Like them, we experience change even if we are not in favor of it so work with whatever comes your way.

Day 2: October 14, 2014
I caught a glimpse of the sunrise as I rode on the bus but then the trees blocked my view.  After the school day I went to soccer practice. The dark green trees stood tall like a rocket about to blast off, as the ant astronauts load to go to mars. The sky was dark blue, like the color of the sea with the essence of mist. The canvas above us was so blue that I could see pirate ships floating on a sea far away, yet closer than ever because when I'm away from friends I feel sad and alone so I keep friends close but enemies  closer. The seasons change from summer to fall, from winter to spring, Trees change with the seasons and the get cut down but new ones grow. As I walk through life, I might lose people and new people may come into it. People come and go, but the force of love lasts forever.

Day 3: October 15, 2014
  The cold night air slightly blew my hair around; the light shone throughout the night challenging the darkness. Mosquitoes flew to and fro, as the light hit their wings at just the right angle, their veins pulsing nano-pints of blood through the bugs little infrastructure. Tree tips glistened in the setting sun. Darkness can be scary, but there are lights of the world spreading joy to everyone. The leaves sat still, but their color was moving rapidly as fall was setting in. The fall atmosphere was very strong in the scent in my house but, as I walked outside the pine smell increased, the dewy air enhanced it ten times over. 

I have worked really hard and long on this work challenged by my teacher to write a better journal than others.