The Day I Felt Accomplished | Teen Ink

The Day I Felt Accomplished

May 19, 2015
By AlannaE BRONZE, South San Francisco, California
AlannaE BRONZE, South San Francisco, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was the beginning of school, once we arrive in the class we always had to do a prayer, stretch, and do a journal prompt. My teacher wanted to talk to my three friends as well with myself. It was too early to talk to my teacher, in my head I was thinking about all the stuff I did that week making sure I did not do anything bad. If I did I needed to find a cover up story so I will not have to get sent to the principal’s office… ooo I hated going to her. My teacher talked to all four of us and told me that I was going to be salutatorian for my class of 2014. I did not know how to feel, all these emotions were going through my head. I was nervous, had anxiety, and was happy that I got the position. I have been attending my school for ten years and ever since I started school I always imagined myself speaking in front of the school as salutatorian. I always wanted to be salutatorian so I could make my grandparents and parents proud. I never saw myself good enough for my parents, my parents were not always there for me growing up. I tried to be as active as I can so I could make my parents proud. I also wanted to make my grandparents proud so they could understand how much I have accomplished with all their help. I just wanted to be an accomplisher, not a failure.

Once I had got the news I could not tell anybody except my family. I only told my grandma and when I told her the news she was astonished with joy and I knew she was very proud of me. My grandma had told everyone about my news which made me feel proud of myself. I did not want her to tell my parents so that they could find out the day of. It was no problem making the speech but presenting it in front of my family was the big problem. I had to seek for hope in finding what to write and what would make my speech significant.I had practiced so many times at school and was reminiscing throughout all the years that I have been through hell and back with my classmates and will still miss them. It was finally the day of my graduation late May; I had to recite my speech in front of the whole school in the morning and to my parents at night. I walked on to stage having butterflies in my stomach and when I let the words come out of my mouth the butterflies flew away.


The author's comments:

Shoutout to my parents and grandparents.