Understanding > Memorizing | Teen Ink

Understanding > Memorizing

By BoopBopZoopityZop BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
BoopBopZoopityZop BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

On the night of an unknown date in the Spring of 2015 I found myself lost, wandering in the depths youtube. The videos I watched were not adorable baby tiger and seal videos, although I do find myself there from time to time. I was drifting in a sea of lectures given by some of the most famous and well respected physicists in the world. Eventually I stumbled onto an interview of Richard Feynman. In this interview he told a story about understanding. One day he was walking through the park with his dad. His dad asked him what the name of a bird that was off in the distance was. Feynman had no clue, and his dad explained to him that it was a brown throated thrush, in japanese it is a katano tekeda, in spanish it is … and so on. His dad then said, now that you know all the names of this one bird, you still know nothing about the bird. This story he told had my brainstorming with all the possible things I probably know nothing about. Even though I thought I did. The video ended, I shut my computer off and went to bed. Six hours went by, I woke up, did my morning prep, and went to school. First hour passed slowly as usual but then second hour came around and I walked down the hall to my math class. Mrs. Johnsen handed back our quizzes. “37/34” it read on the top, I was relieved. This meant I could keep the 108% in the class for a little bit longer. I could hear the sounds of complaining students through the melodic guitar music I was listening to. “They probably all failed” I thought to myself. As that thought ran through my mind, that second people were asking me for help on their corrections. And by help that either means they needed to copy my quiz or they actually wanted help. By the time the people who needed to copy me left, I was stuck with about four people around me while I explained my method of solving these problems. The way I solved the problems was a bit different than they learned so they were a bit confused. As they looked at my quiz then back at theirs, the only questions I really got from them was “How do I do this?” and never “Why did you do this?”. Once they finished asking their questions and completed their corrections, the small group of kids left. All of them seemed to only want to memorize what I did and not understand why I did it. This is kind of like Richard Feynman’s story about the bird. The kids in my class knew nothing about about why they solved the questions the way the did, but instead just knew how to do it.