A Quick Chat | Teen Ink

A Quick Chat

August 6, 2015
By jackchase PLATINUM, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
jackchase PLATINUM, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
27 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I'm currently experiencing something very strange. Strange enough that I deem it worthy to tell you about it, old friend. This guy is talking to me, I think about two years younger than myself, and I have absolutely no clue as to what he is saying. I know he started off talking about my movie, but he could be anywhere at this point. British parliament, monks, monkeys, I couldn't tell you. As he began talking to me, I became increasingly aware of the situation around me. That isn't to say it was boring (not too boring, anyway), I only couldn't focus on a first person point of view. I was unwillingly removed from myself and shown the conversation and setting around it from an omniscient perspective. The music playing in the background was sharply yanked to the foreground, drowning out any hopes of audio coming from the talking guy's mouth. I briefly tuned into the conversation of the group of four directly to my right; something about lesbians, not too sure. I went further, and saw the entire room. I noticed that, at this distance, I was merely an inhabitant in a space. Nothing more than a warm body amongst a sea of inanimate objects. My omnipotent view's extent ended there, but even as the talking guy ended his conversation, the music returned to a respectable level, and I lost track of the lesbo-convo, I was not completely present. I was beyond the moment, planning my writing this little recollection of the experience. It was the first time that I was completely detached from a moment in life, albeit for only about four minutes. It was interesting at best, but scary at worst. Is this what's waiting for those who get so dulled out by normal life that they are forced to view their stupid and meaningless conversation from a point of view other than their own? Probably not, but at least I know the difference between autopilot and manual control, now having firsthand experience. If I ever get detached again, I'll come back here. If this sentence is the end of the recollection, I guess I switched over to manual for good.