Tell Me | Teen Ink

Tell Me

October 12, 2015
By stephanieelise SILVER, High Point, North Carolina
stephanieelise SILVER, High Point, North Carolina
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You yourself, as much as anybody else in the entire universe deserve your love and affection."


Tell me how I'm supposed to be held accountable for knowing my worth when I haven't been exposed to what I deserve.


Tell me how I should know that I can do better than the guy who I fell in love with, the guy who treated me with no respect and appreciation. The guy who told me I wasn't good enough for him and that I'm just a worthless s***. The guy who led me on for two years and then suddenly dropped me like nothing ever happened.


Tell me how I should've known that a father shouldn't scare his child to the point that she cries herself to sleep every night  wishing she could just run away. Terrified to the point, that she's afraid to listen to her own music, express her own thoughts and feelings, to the point, where she's afraid to even ask a question in fear that she'll be yelled at or beaten.


Tell me how I was supposed to know what a friend was like when my closest one told everyone all my secrets and abruptly turned her back on me?


Tell me how I was supposed to know that none of this was normal and that life didn’t have to be this hard?


And please tell me how on Earth I was supposed to know that I shouldn't be the one to blame, the one to loathe? It seemed that everyone was disappointed in me so why shouldn't I have been too?


So tell me how I should’ve known. How I should’ve not spent time caring for people who didn’t deserve it.
Tell me because I’d like to know.