Home Is Where You Make It | Teen Ink

Home Is Where You Make It

By RyanPaul BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia
RyanPaul BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia

The home where I want it to be is where I was born, Michigan.

I really like to spend time with my family that lives in Michigan. But living so far away makes that experience a very rare one that I don’t have often, but I cherish the experience every time I get it. I think family is the main reason that I want to move back to Michigan, but my parents both have jobs and we aren’t moving any time soon.

Basically my whole family was born in Michigan. My parents were born near Lansing and I was born in Grands Rapids. My parents moved around a lot and we moved when I was two. We moved to Florida and then we moved again to a different place in Florida. After that he got a job in Georgia and we moved here in 2007.

Another reason is I like the Michigan sports teams. I like the Lions, as bad as they are, Red Wings, and Pistons. My favorite sport is hockey and there is no team here, but a successful one in Michigan. There is also very few people who like hockey.

We get to visit my family every once in awhile, so I at least get to see them sometimes, which is better than not at all. We usually go during spring break or during the summer, like we did this past summer. Me and my mom are going to see them again this summer and it’ll be more planned and coordinated so I’ll see everyone.

Here I feel like I only partially fit in with people. Most people don’t talk to me, but the people that I do talk to, I love like family. I feel if we moved back to Michigan I would fit in because I know my cousins and I think their friends would at least make an effort to like me. I would also make an effort to fit in with them and not change them or myself.

So I where I really want to be is in Michigan with my family and making new friends, but I’d want to bring one of my best friends.

This article is about how I miss where I come from and how I miss my family that lives there.