You Shot Two | Teen Ink

You Shot Two

By Andrew24 BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Andrew24 BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

I got my orange vest on and grabbed the .22, my grandpa grabbed my rifle just in case. It was September 22, 2013. We were planning on going out for a normal squirrel hunt but we did not know what was in store for us.

We were sitting in my grandpa’s rifle blind, watching one squirrel. All of a sudden the squirrel started chattering, ran up a tree, and started twitching its tail. We scanned the surroundings and there was a small deer standing in front of us. I  was watching it as my grandpa kept looking around.
Then he said ‘’There it is!’’ But he was not looking in the same direction as me. He then told me,  ‘’Get the gun up, your going to shoot’’.
I got the cross hairs on the deer I saw and shot. The gun kicked…. so lost where the deer was.
My grandpa said ‘’Why are you shooting over there? The deer is right there-Now shoot it!’’
I moved the gun over to that deer, racked another bullet in and shot. Both deer were gone and the woods went silent. We had no clue what just happened. Every time I have shot at a deer I have had high hopes that I got it, but this time I was not so sure I had gotten it or not.
We did not know if I had shot the deer; so we called my uncle over to go check. We have had past experiences where the deer just lays down when we shoot at it: so if I missed and and the deer laid down we wanted my uncle to spook them out so I could try to get another shot on it. Five minutes later we saw my uncle come off the trail and he walked way out in front of us and gave us the thumbs up, but he looked a little confused. We walked out about 50 yards and saw the deer.
My uncle explained ‘’why would you shoot so small of a deer’’.
I said “he told me to shoot, so I did!’’.
My grandpa very confusingly said ‘’that is not the deer I was looking at’’. So he walked over to the spot where he saw the deer, he stepped over a pile of brush and tripped on something and excitedly said “you shot two’’! Then it all finally started to come together. He saw a big deer so he told me to shot. I didn’t see that deer so I shot at the one I saw. Then the confusion was gone and we all got a big laugh out of it.
We laughed as we took the deer to the buck pole. We hung them up, cleaned them, skinned them, and we all took a shot of Peppermint Schnapps. I learned a big lesson that I should check my surrounds better and I still get teased by my family too put some glasses on and looked around better. But we knew from all the laughter that this would be a story that would live on forever.