The Shot | Teen Ink

The Shot

January 3, 2016
By Anonymous

If you had a chance or a risk to change everything would you take it.

It was a Monday night basketball game, late in the 3rd quarter I started to get a hot hand with my shooting shots. My shots started falling in for our team that's when we realized our game was getting a little more difficult for us because they were playing harder defence and playing man to man and also, 2-3 zone.


“Here’s something to know about a 2-3 zone: Two people stand up front by half court line spread out three people stand back by the rim


4th quarter had arrived that's when everything started to change, I started to get most of my shots in and it felt good when I released the ball.


I took the ball down the court I could see the time ticking counting  down with just one minute left I hurried up trying to call a good play, that's when it happened Conner M had set a good pick for me I had jumped up and took the shot feeling relaxed and comfortable I had shot the ball right by the three pointer line with a quick shot i’d felt a good release on my shot ………………………. “BANK”as the ball went in with 31.0 seconds left I did a quick celebration doing the DAB.


“Subs” I heard as I saw Kenny he had went in for me I saw my team was happy especially coach. I felt a warm pat on my back I looked over my shoulder, it was coach giving me a good smile and saying good job.


I sat down next to James B, I took a sip of my Powerade; feeling a sweaty and a hot sensation--that's when the buzzer went off.


Even though we lost by two that was the best game I played in a while, and I learned one thing is that if you never take risks you will never know what the outcome will be like.