The Jump of Doom | Teen Ink

The Jump of Doom

January 19, 2016
By MaryRagheb GOLD, Wyckoff, New Jersey
MaryRagheb GOLD, Wyckoff, New Jersey
10 articles 0 photos 2 comments

I stood at the edge of the cliff. My fists were a pale white from the effort of clinging to the rail. Below me was a large pool, but to me it appeared to be a pit of death. My friends behind me stood clustered in a group cheering me on. One of them emerged from the cluster. Maureen offered to jump with me. I took a deep breath and nodded. I looked straight ahead. The trees that once loomed above me were now at eye level, yet some how they were more intimidating. A cool summer breeze sent a shiver down my spine. It was the perfect time to be at the waterpark with my friends.

 

As the breeze picked up, for a moment, the vibrant green leaves on the trees rustled. The leaves appeared to be laughing at my feeling of angst. Before I knew it, Maureen had jumped. I lifted one foot off the ground, but the other would not move. I looked down to see her plunge into the water. As she sank down deeper into the pool, she gradually became harder to see. Had it not been for her bright red bikini, she would have been invisible. I could see her reach the bottom of the pool, propelling herself up by her legs. Her head broke the surface of the water and an explosion of laughter broke the silence.

“That was awesome!” she exclaimed. “Come on Mary! Jump!”


I can do this. If Maureen can do it than I can too, I thought to myself. How hard can it be? Just step off. Right foot then left. “Here I go.” I took a step forward. My right foot hovered over open air. The trees were watching me. Waiting for me to push off the edge. Maureen swam out of the pool allowing the lifeguard to give me the thumbs up to go. Thoughts began to swarm my mind. My brother laughing at my fear. Bullying me into jumping. Although he was not there. He had always pushed me to try new things and face my fears. I had to jump for him. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath trying to relax. All I had to do was push off the ground. I imagined my brothers face of pride he would have when I hit the water. With my eyes closed I pushed myself off the edge of the cliff into the open air.


I plummeted down for what felt like years. I felt like I would never reach the water below. I just kept falling. My body was stiff. My arms directly at my side. My feet pointed down. I cut through the air and finally felt the cold water rush around my body. Then it hit me. I was underwater, traveling down to the bottom of the pool at a forceful speed. I had to push up to the surface. I needed to breathe. I frantically launched myself up through the water to the surface. As I approached the top of the water, I could hear voices screaming my name. I finally emerged from the water. A chorus of cheers greeted me sending warmth through me in contrast with the freezing cold water. I smiled with glee as I looked up to see the towering cliff I had just jumped off of. My friends, looking much smaller then when I had last seen them, stood at the top of the cliff congratulating me. I turned around and swam out of the pool. My smile stretched from ear to ear and my heart was beating out of my chest. I had done it. I had jumped of the cliff. I had conquered the jump of doom.