The Cave | Teen Ink

The Cave

By Brendan1530 BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
Brendan1530 BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan

I sat on my bed, watching TV when I heard my name being called from downstairs. “Brendan! Come downstairs!” My mom shouted. Thinking I was in trouble, I nervously walked downstairs, anxious about what was about to happen. I walked into the living room, and saw my parents sitting on the couch, with long faces. My sister walked in and we sat on the couch. “We have something we need to tell you guys” My dad said. “Your mom went to the doctor today and she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She’s going to start chemotherapy soon, and we’re going to get through this.”

The next day, I couldn’t focus during school. I didn’t have any of my homework done, and I just zoned out during my classes. I was in geography class when I got called into the counselor's office. My counselor talked to me about my mom, and told me that I had to do whatever I could to help out, including to help around the house, do the dishes for her, etc. I took this advice and tried to help raise money for my d mom’s treatment. I started making bracelets to sell at school. I made them every day when I got home, and sold them before school started, and during lunch hour. I got an enormous amount of support from the school. People came after school and helped make bracelets, they helped make signs for me to hang around school, and more. I ended up raising about $250, and used the money to help pay for treatment.

About a year later, my mom had finished chemotherapy treatment and began radiation treatment during the summer. She ended up beating cancer, and she has been cancer-free for about 2 years now. This was one of the hardest things that my family has ever encountered, but we made it through it.

This piece is the story of when my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer