Good Mistake | Teen Ink

Good Mistake

By CoolLee BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan
CoolLee BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan

I have a nickname since I was young: a “daredevil.” Everyone calls me a daredevil because I am always trying to challenge risky things. I love success and the failure that come from my challenge. When I was 11 years old, I did not know any English at all. Then, I had a chance to go to Philippines to learn English from a canadian teacher. My parents were hesitating whether I should go there or not, while I was already determined and felt so excited to learn a new language in a foreign country. It was very difficult for me because I seriously did not know anything, even the alphabets. By the end of that year, I found myself speaking and writing English just like normal american kids. That was my starting point of being a challenging guy. I realized how fun it was to achieve something that other people would have avoided. Since then, I was not afraid to try new things. Coming to United States was the biggest obstacle that made me hesitate little bit. I knew nothing about US and had to adjust into new culture with food and friends. At that time, I thought for a long time and then decided to come to US. “Opportunities are always around you. It is just that people don’t know how to use with those opportunities.” This is what my dad used to say when I had difficulty figuring out what to do. Because it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance, I finally came here. Now, I am proud of myself for choosing it. If I wasn’t a daredevil, I could not have had such experiences and educations in american high schools. Challenging did not always gave me positive ratifications. About two years ago, I went to try snowboarding. It was my first time in my life. I learned how to go left, right, and stop. When I felt comfortable, I went to hard courses right away. Then, I saw a course where people could do tricks. Maybe I shouldn’t have seen that course, but because I did, it became the most regretful day. I tried to do tricks and fell on the box. I did it again, fell, again, and fell. Total of three, I found myself crouching on the ground and found out that I dislocated my shoulder. I was on the top of the hill and I decided to walk down by myself. Every time I walked, the pain seemed to get worse. One woman saw me in pain and she got my snowboard. I took some steps and went back to the top of the hill. There was one guy that was watching people, so I asked him that I hurt my shoulder. He called the aid-people and put me on a sled thing. I was closing my eyes all the time because the pain made to do so. I have never had such pain so I hated that. By the time I got to the hospital, the doctor told me that I tore something related to my shoulder really bad. He said that I will heal sometime. If I pop it again, that was the time to have surgery. Last year, I popped my shoulder more than ten times. I did not tell anyone because I was playing sports and I did not want to stop playing. I am going to have a surgery next summer and now can’t play any sports. This has become my worst and favorite mistake in my life. My friends told me I was too confident. Thanks to this experience, it has taught me not to be over proud of anything. I have to be calm and careful whatever I do. Challenging has lots of risks, so it is not good.