Turning Point | Teen Ink

Turning Point

Leaving from with my parents from a couple of days out the week to be with kids my age made me realize how much more my life wasn’t as bad as I was making it seem. I was in a group with kids around my age to the age of 18. We all connected with the each other because of what we have been thru in our life we all seem to have a connection. Our first trip was to a place where people went to change their life around. I walked into a brown big building surrounded by teenagers and adults. They all had a dull look on their faces I could tell most of them didn’t want to be there.

“Hello I am Tina and I’m here because I’m trying to change my life not only for me but for my child, Which I no longer have” she had long black curly hair with over 100 tattoos she had a pretty brown skin tone she wore a long black bath robe and white socks with a pink bow. She told us a little more about her life and warned us how we shouldn’t go down her path. She was also the youngest one there she told us she had to gain her respect just like when she was in jail which she also told us was a horrible experience she also told us how she started off just like us wouldn’t listen and thinking she knew everything. I look around and just thought to myself how this was so much related to me and how I was misbehaving in school and not listing to my parents. We then went upstairs to where she would sleep with many other different ladies. The floors where brown and really shinny everyone walked around in their bath robes with either a newspaper or coffee. She walked us into her room the beds where really small they were twin size and hard. They shows us a very small bathroom which all of them had to share and they also couldn’t shower unless they left their room and went downstairs where everyone else showered. After lying down on the beds I felt as I had no one in that cared for me no one that loved me. The older ladies then came into the room and told us how they didn’t want to see none of us in this place and they want us to change our ways. Everyone begin to get a little emotional because they told us this isn’t the life anyone should be living we should be enjoying our life as teenagers. At the end of the program the ladies told us that once they get out that we could call them for anything to talk, to express our feelings. Whatever.  What made me changed that night was knowing that I’m a teenager who should be enjoying my life without worrying about going to jail or going to places where I won’t be able to connect to my parents or important people in my life. I also learned that whatever you do has a good or bad behind it. So I should make good ones so I would be able to have a good outcome. We all took the numbers and left that night a changed person.  The next month after we came back and told the people how their life affected us as people and how we changed because of their advice they told us they were really happy about us and they believe that we can do whatever we set our mind to.