Dear Bullies | Teen Ink

Dear Bullies

By SupahAce15 PLATINUM, Marietta, Georgia
SupahAce15 PLATINUM, Marietta, Georgia

"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

This is not a letter about how you caused me pain, how you're a bad person, or how life will treat you as you go on. This letter is about forgiveness. I need to heal and move on, and I can't do that until I forgive and let go. 

You all made my middle school experience a living nightmare. Every day I carried my backpack in fear, about what you might say. Every day, you never missed an opportunity to say that I was a ugly beast, or a black wolverine. You called me that because I had hairy legs, and you thought it was funny to talk about. You told me that I was a loser, because I like to read and I care about school. Every time I spoke you never hesitated to mock my speech, because I didn't use slang and teachers could understand what I was saying. You never missed the chance to point out my insecurities, you talked about how I would never fit into this world. I love superheroes, old school music, movies, current events, and great pieces of literature. And you had the audacity to try and take away that from me. You never tried to stop being the villians and yet I got stuck with the role of being the underdog, instead of being a normal kid. 

Now we're in high school, and I'm doing good. I have great friends, I'm doing nice in classes, and I have clubs that I love being a part of. But now I realize that you left resentment and sadness within me, and this void of loneliness that I can't seem to escape. Your verbal abuse made me distrustful of others, this paranoia that people will want to cause me pain. Now I realize that's not true. So now I write this letter saying I wish you would have given me a chance that if you had gotten to know me, you would have liked me. But you can't change the past, you can only fix the future. Do yourself a favor: Get to know people, don't judge them and don't spread cruelty. Otherwise you won't get the chance to evolve. I wish you the best in all your endeavors, and I sincerely hope you find happiness.

I've carried this with me for a very long time, and it feels nice to get it off my chest.