Broken Bones | Teen Ink

Broken Bones

December 14, 2016
By SkyShane BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington
SkyShane BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Oaks Park Roller Skating Park! Feeling very confident I’m going as fast as my legs could go. Zooming past everything in my sight, the food court, family, people I’ve never met or seen before. It was creating wind that was going through my hair then BOOM! I fell and heard a snap. 


It was November 8, 2015. I was on a visitation with my two younger sisters, Kelly, who is an average sized 9 year old monkey, and Jenna, who was a very little 6 year old peanut. My step-mom,who I call my mom, was driving my other younger sister, Haley, who at the time was pretty small for the age 8, and I, to Elmer’s where we were going to meet my Grandma, who is pretty short with grey short hair, Aunt, who is the tall one at this visitation over 6 feet tall, and sisters for brunch. After brunch we were going to head to Oaks Park for some roller skating. You should know that roller skating and I, we don’t really get along. Whenever I go roller skating I fall and usually sprain something. After we were done eating we headed off to Oaks Park.


We soon arrived to our destination. We all walked inside the big roller skating rink together that had a little fast food restaurant in it along with a small arcade, and I instantly smelled hot dogs and fries. Kelly, Jenna, Haley, and I got our skates on and went out onto the rink. I didn’t go too fast at first but then I thought that I was super cool and started going pretty fast, in my opinion. I lost my balance and fell for the first time that day, really in no shock, I shot right back up and started skating again. About a half hour past and I was picking up the speed and then BOOM! I fell again. I heard a pop in my left wrist, I panicked and sat there on the ground for a minute. Soon a staff, who looked pretty young probably in his late teens to early twenties, came over to see if I was alright.


“You okay?” asked the staff on skates.
“Yeah I’m okay, my wrist just hurts a little.”  I replied with pain in my voice.
“Shake it off it’ll help.”  he told me like it was no big deal.
“Okay, thank you” I said as I did what I was told.


I then started to skate again and I started feeling really dizzy. My eye vision started to blur and my legs were starting to shake. I quickly got to the closest seat possible and sat down. My sister Kelly came over and asked if I was okay. I had told her that my wrist was hurting, my vision wasn’t really working properly, and that I was really dizzy. She sat there with me, like a sweet little girl until I was ready to go tell my mom what had happened.


“My wrist hurts really bad,” I told my mom trying to stay strong.
“Did you fall on it,” she asked with a little bit of worry on her face.
“Yeah” I answered with a few tears rolling down my face.
“Okay come sit down and we’ll get some ice”
“K”


Tears were still filling my eyes because of the pain. Many thoughts were going through my head while I waited for ice to come. Is it sprained? Is it broken? If it is broken, what will happen? Will I be able to play volleyball in January? The manager soon came with a bag of ice in his hand.


“Hello, here’s some ice. Can you wiggle your fingers for me?” The polite man asked me.
“Yeah,” I answered while wiggling my fingers.
“So, if she can wiggle her fingers then it's not broken. It’s probably just sprained.” He explained to my mom. 
“Okay” I replied 
“Okay thank you.” My mom said with a small smile.


My sisters skated for a little longer while my mom helped me get my skates off. She helped put my shoes on too because of the pain I was feeling. After I had my shoes on I told my sisters and grandma, I loved them and that I’ll see them again soon. I got in the car with Haley and my mom. We started to head home.


We were stuck in traffic when my mom asked me how my wrist felt.
“How's it doing?” my mom asking with more worry in her voice.
“It hurts really bad” tears still in my eyes, because of my pain.
“Take the ice off for a while so the redness goes away and then we can see how it looks.”  she said.
About ten minutes past and we saw that it looked kinda bruised.
“It looks bruised” I said
“Yeah, it does, I guess we’ll take you to the ER,” my mom said sounding a unhappy.


Later we got to the ER, signed in, and waited for my name to be called. It seemed like hours until the nurse gave us a room. I sat on the bed nervously. Then the doctors came in and asked what happened. They then asked my sister and mom to leave the room so they could take some x rays. They took the x rays with my arm in a few different positions. One of the positions
actually hurt a little.


Time had past and the doctor, who was a bit old came in to tell us what happened to my wrist. He was using his big doctor words confusing everyone else in the room. My mom probably asked him if my wrist was broken eight times before he said, in english, yes her wrist is broken. He had put my wrist in rock hard splint, put my arm in a sling and also told me how to put it on. The doctor told my mom when we should come back for an actual cast and we were off. It was finally time to go home.


That day was definitely a crazy day. I think back to that day sometimes. I think to myself that the staff who asked if I was okay probably made my wrist worse, and the manager, was clearly not a doctor. Breaking my wrist, thankfully, didn’t effect me playing volleyball in January. To this day I still have my sling, cast,  x ray picture, wrist brace, and nice raised bump on my left wrist. I also learned a lesson from that day. Don’t ever go roller skating again.