Gaming: Its Ups and Downs | Teen Ink

Gaming: Its Ups and Downs

By ChargeYellow BRONZE, New York, New York
ChargeYellow BRONZE, New York, New York

"May the force be with you" - Gandalf

Gaming. Whether you love it or you hate it, you can't deny that it’s a staple in history, and something that isn’t to be taken lightly. For example, there are some games now in VR (Virtual Reality)! But I think I’m getting ahead of myself. Let’s take it back to the good old days, when Nintendo was still a Gaming Giant.

It still is, don’t get me wrong, but back then, they were freaking worshipped. They were the megaminds behind the fat italian plumber we all know and love; Mario! Not only that, they also came out with (prepare yourselves) The Mega Man trilogy, Super Metroid, Castlevania, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Super smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, Street Fighter, Tekken, and even Mii! That last one wasn’t that impressive, but regardless, I think you’re getting the idea.

They also made some of the most ground breakingly impressive (at the time) consoles. If you’ve never heard of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, frankly I don’t believe you. We haven't even talked about the handheld consoles (Don’t worry, I won’t)! But enough about what Nintendo did in the gaming market, did you know they started off as a playing card company. Yeah, they made these low quality playing cards, and they were losing money fast! They decided to pivot their audience focus, and dear lord did it work.

Their first real game; “Donkey Kong” was an instant success, and this is when they realized that this is what they have to keep doing to succeed. Well, as you can guess, one thing led to another, and here we are, looking forward to Nintendo’s new console, the ‘Nintendo Switch’ I’ve already almost written a page, and we’ve only talked about Nintendo so far. Isn't that crazy! So anyway,  Gaming for me, personally, has always been a passion. I have over (don’t judge) 847 hours on one game. That’s about 35 days. Well, I hope I’ve intrigued you enough with my essay that you’re reading this, and with that, signing off.