Golden State | Teen Ink

Golden State

By nayru BRONZE, San Jacinto, California
nayru BRONZE, San Jacinto, California

It was cold, which was odd because it was nowhere near winter. Everything about that day was odd, actually. The night before, I was sleeping on my parents floor in Arizona, crying over all the things I would miss. My dogs, my mom, and everything else about the Grand Canyon State. I woke up that day before the birds could sing and before the sun had poured itself over the valley. I went outside. It was warm. After what seemed like hours of lamenting my departure, it was time to leave my whole life behind.

That day. I can’t stop thinking about it. The whole journey to the Golden State felt like an eternity. It wasn’t exciting for me, but everyone else thought it was. I didn’t talk to my mom that day, or the night before. My dad feared that she would make me feel guilty and change my mind. He didn’t know I already changed my mind long before he mentioned the idea of moving. I did my best to cover up my sadness in a thin blanket of serenity. It worked. The ride was peaceful.

My new house was big. I would say home, but it didn't feel like home. In school, I felt lonely. I would always sit alone before first period, thinking about how much I wished it was a dream. It took a long time for anyone to approach me, and even though they invited me to be their friend, I still felt like an outcast. All I could feel was that they pitied me, but they soon became real friend to me. As the school year progressed I grew more and more happier to be in California. My eighth grade year was a blur, with a couple of significant events. My ninth grade year wasn't too memorable.

Now I am a sophomore. I must say that this year might be one that is the most memorable. I'm in a club. I have a best friend. I’m in driver's education, and I'll be able to get my permit in early March not I am open to so many new opportunities that I'd never be able to find in Arizona. I used to be sad a lot, but now I realize how free I can be here. This state really is golden.