The Big Hit | Teen Ink

The Big Hit MAG

It's full count.

I was six years old, and the ball was sitting on top of the tee. There was a man on second and third, two outs, and I was up. I hardly remember, but I know the sun was out. It was a hot day, good for shorts and a T-shirt, but I had on my team's uniform which was a half red and white T-shirt, grey pants and my new cleats. I was sweating to death. The air was very light and on days like that, the ball usually carries; in other words, the air helps the ball to fly. On a humid cool day, the air would be heavy. My parents were there, watching me from the side of the third-base line.

The air smelled from my team's new leather gloves and from the dust. I stepped back into the batter's box and looked around. I saw all the fielders looking determined except there was nobody covering center field. I took a deep breath and focused on the ball.

The red-stitched white tee ball with its black writing looked huge. I took an enormous swing and hit it solidly. It rolled past the short stop and second baseman into centerfield where nobody was. The men from second and third scored, and I was rounding third base when the ball was on its way in. I was running as fast as I could, but the ball got there before me. I slid into homeplate, but the tag was not applied. I was safe! I had the first homerun of my life. I was completely out of breath. My team all stood up and hugged me over and over. It was a great feeling hearing everyone cheer for me, especially my parents.

After the game, both teams shook hands. The other team was so depressed about losing that they all had their heads down, but they were all congratulating me on my game-winning hit. My team and I went out for pizza and ices at Mr. Pizza. We all sat at one table and I was at the head. I had two big slices with juicy cheese, hot tomato sauce and soft crust. I also had a big blue Italian ice that I ate it so fast that I got a headache.

On the ride home I got the front seat over my mother, sister and brother. I didn't feel the heat any more, just the great feeling of my homerun and my victory. I saw the beautiful green hedges and trees and the paper boy on his bike delivering papers. I walked into my house, barely even able to pick up my legs because I was so sore and I started to get ready for the next game. l