The Mind of a Basketball Player | Teen Ink

The Mind of a Basketball Player

March 13, 2011
By Tgentry15 SILVER, Moses Lake, Washington
Tgentry15 SILVER, Moses Lake, Washington
8 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Celebrate your successes and stand strong when adversity hits. For when storm clouds roll in, eagles will soar while small birds take cover. BE AN EAGLE


Sprint, six seconds, jump and turn, feel your fingers drag across the wood, next sideline, repeat. Check the clock, seconds tick, you’re slowing down. Push, you’re faster than her, prove it. They yell, they call your name, they call you out. Embarrassed, wipe away the sweat, get to the baseline. Eight dribbles, outside pivot, avoid the trap. Line to line, nonstop, can’t stop. Free throw line, control your breathing, use your legs. Soft touch, rolls right, down and back. Water, cotton mouth, empty bottles. Team dinner, laughter, family. Game time, center tip, battle. Loose ball, beat her, throw an elbow. Substitution, towel and water, cheer. Back and forth, sixteen minutes, d-up. Drain the three, get the steal, adrenaline. Double bonus, sprint the floor, play smart. Play until the buzzer sounds, not enough, emotional. Change quick, postgame talk, game ball. Long bus ride, quiet seats, sleep. Early morning, long day of school, no focus. Bell rings, practice gear, prepare for running. Sprint, six seconds, jump and turn, feel your fingers drag across the wood, next sideline, repeat. Worth it.

The author's comments:
Any feedback would be much appreciated!