The Big Game | Teen Ink

The Big Game

As I stepped up to bat, I could feel the adrenaline rush through my body. By habit, my feet drifted to shoulder-width and my hands gripped the bat over my right shoulder. The pitcher wound up and threw and I jumped back.

“INSIDE!” yelled the umpire as I resumed my stance, “BALL 1!” I narrowed my eyes and focused on the pitcher, who looked a bit nervous. As she wound up again, I bent my knees a little farther. The ball came hurtling towards me and I heard metal hit leather. As if all in one motion, I followed through, dropped my bat, and ran like the wind to first base. I couldn’t hear anything except my heavy breaths and my feet hitting the ground. Then, I hit first base and was pulled back to reality as Coach Hastings was congratulating me and directing me on what to do next.

I got into a running position and watched as Leichtnam got up to bat. She hammered it clear out to left field and I sprinted to second base. I glanced around quickly and kept moving on to third base. I stopped to take a breather, but the third base coach was screaming for me to go. I hesitated for only a second before racing full-speed to home plate.

As I made my way to the dugout, I heard the fans screaming and cheering. I whipped my head around to see Megan crouching down, preparing to slide into home. The outfielder had thrown the ball and it was flying through the air towards the third baseman. I unconsciously started jumping up and down and hollering.

“GO, Megan, GO!” I yelled, as she focused her eyes on the white bag planted on the dusty field. She slid headfirst and the umpire said she was safe. She grinned from ear to ear and jogged over to the dugout, where we both got high-fives from everyone.

“Great job, Lyss,” someone said.

“Nice hit guys,” yelled another.

“Incredible hit, Megglio,” added someone else.

“Way to go guys, you rock!” another girl piped in.

I heard a chorus of congratulations and the buzz of excitement as the next girl got up to bat. I sat down and the world became a blur around me. I finally found somewhere that I truly belong.

Teresa C. said...
This is an awesome story. Very well written. I almost feel like I was there.

painter1 said...
great job, keep up the ggod work!