Monday Night Miracle | Teen Ink

Monday Night Miracle

The Superdome, once home to the New Orleans Saints and many other venues was reduced to a giant landfill on August 29, 2005. Used a shelter of last resort, the Superdome had become a home to thousands of New Orleans residents during and after Hurricane Katrina. After the people were evacuated, Superdome officials finally saw the task which lay before them. Trash was everywhere, people's belongings, human waste, and even a few bodies were strewn about here and there. The Saints played their home games in San Antonio, Baton Rouge, and other places and finished with a 3-13 record. Even after the trying year of 2005, Owner Tom Benson decided to stay in the Big Easy. After a year of hard work and preperation, the Superdome once again reopened. The Atlanta Falcons came to New Orleans for a Monday Night Football game and will not soon forget it. Only 90 seconds into the game, Steve Gleason blocked a punt which bounced into the end zone where Curtis Deloatch recovered it. That one moment will live forever in the minds of all who seen it. The Saints went on to win 23-3, and finished the season with a 10-6 record and made their first trip to the NFC Title Game before enduring a disappointing loss to the Chicago Bears, but they will be back, as they say around New Orleans,"This ain't your Daddy's Saints."