Wolf for Life | Teen Ink

Wolf for Life

With the fifth pick in the 1995 NBA draft, the Minnesota Timberwolves select forward Kevin Garnett from Farragut Academy. Those words David Stern, the commissioner said still ring in my head. How championship hopes seem to simmer for the young wolves, Garnett has moved on, to a new team, a new destiny, and most of all, a new hope. From the chest-pump to the fade-away jumper at the baseline, Garnett showed passion like no other Wolve. He brought intensity to every game. Yet Garnett had no support and had only one chance to reach his dream, an NBA championship in 2003. With help from guard Sam Cassell and forward Latrell Sprewell the Wolves’ run was cut short by the Los Angeles Lakers. It was the first time the T’Wolves had gotten past the first round of the playoffs in franchise history. KG’s talents were being used to its fullest, averaging at least 20 points and 10 rebounds throughout his days in Minnesota. He is a rare player to come by with the fifth pick. Nowadays, it has also become tougher to find a workhorse player, who plays both offense and defense. Garnett was special that way. He could post up Duncan or Nowitzki and score at will. But the catch is he could plant his feet on the low-block and play straight-up man-to-man defense. Defending guys like Shaquille O’Neal or Amare Stoudemire are a task in itself. Bad defensive players refuse to move their feet or get into early foul trouble, but not Garnett. Kevin’s also not a show boater. He wouldn’t go for the stuff and put his team in jeopardy. The question I have for you is: how does Garnett look in a Celtics jersey? I prefer him in blue, with the classy 21!