History of Soccer | Teen Ink

History of Soccer

By Alex Gilland BRONZE, Fort Hood, Texas
Alex Gilland BRONZE, Fort Hood, Texas

The sport of soccer has a history dating back three thousand years to the Asian countries of China and Japan. There is also evidence of the game being played in the Olympic games of Greece and Rome. Today, soccer is the most popular sport in the world; it is played in just about every single country on earth.

Many years ago, a game similar to the sport of soccer was developed and played in Japan. The sport of soccer originated from this game; in the first of these soccer games, people would simply kick and chase a ball around a large field. In China, researchers have found that people played soccer using a hair-filled leather ball. They also discovered that soccer-like games were played between the Chinese and Japanese.

Also, evidence shows that soccer was a very violent sport hundreds of years ago; during the medieval era in England, it was banned from being played by the people. Players would punch, kick, bite, and gouge other players; sometimes, fans would start rioting, which also added to the unnecessary violence. King Edward of England put in regulations stating that anyone caught playing soccer would face imprisonment.

Today, soccer is the most played sport everywhere in the world. It is most popular in Europe and South America though. Some famous players include Cristiano Ronaldo, who plays for Real Madrid, Lionel Messi, who plays for F.C. Barcelona, and David Beckham, who now plays for Paris St. Germaine. These three players are a few of the best in the world.

Soccer is a fun and exciting sport to both play and watch. At any moment, the game can change, which is why it is so exciting. It has been around for thousands of years, and has basically stayed true to its roots, other than the fact that a hair-filled leather ball isn’t used!