Crazy Basketball Upsets Rule in 2012-2013 | Teen Ink

Crazy Basketball Upsets Rule in 2012-2013

May 20, 2013
By Anonymous

This year in college basketball there have been crazy upsets and no consistent number one team throughout the season. Currently sitting in at the number one spot is the Indiana Hoosers.

At the beginning of the season, Indiana was ranked number but since then, the number one ranking has changed seven times throughout the season. In one week alone, the top five teams all lost the same week. It affected the standings by completely changing the top five.

College basketball has never been this inconsistent in ten years. Over the last years, there has been one defined number one team. But this season, it is shaping up to be an interesting March Madness.

On December 15th, Indiana played Butler. Indiana was the number one team in the nation with a 9-0 record, while and Butler was 7-2. The game was played in Indianapolis where Butler won in overtime 88-86. That was the first major upset of the season.

Duke was 22-2 and coming into the game against Maryland on February 16th. Maryland played a good, tight game and handed the number 2 team in the nation an 83-81 loss.

Syracuse has been ranked in the top ten the whole year. But they lost to the unranked Temple on December 22nd, 83-79. During the game Temple dominated the second half after being down only two at halftime.

College basketball has been a mystery all season long and still continues to be a tight race for the top four seeds in the March Madness tournament. March Madness is arguably the best tournament in all of sports, and has the recipe for another great tournament. Currently the top five is Indiana, Gonzaga, Duke, Michigan, and Miami. Personally, I believe the final five teams will be Gonzaga, Duke, Indiana, Kansas, and Miami.