Final Goal | Teen Ink

Final Goal

I had only been playing soccer for about three weeks and our first game was just around the corner. And I don’t know if I am going to do really well, or just flat out horrible. We were all very nervous. But I was most nervous because I was the youngest on the team by about two to three years. And the team that I was on, “The Stingrays” was the best team in their league.

It was finally game day. My ten other teammates and I rapidly ran out onto the dry, freshly cut, bumpy field of “Swinson Park”. Before the reff blew his whistle for the first kickoff, I said to myself, “oh my lord….they’re giants”. They had to be at least a foot taller than me. And they looked like they had been playing forever.

Wwwwwweeeeeeee, the whistle blew and we were off. I was starting center forward and I didn’t really know what to do so I just ran as fast as I could and chased the ball around. I caught up with the ball and grabbed it. No one said I was doing anything wrong so I ran with the ball and tried to shoot on goal. But as I looked up I saw Madison, the goalie on my team. Everyone on the sidelines was yelling “Go Back, Turn around!” I was confused so I looked behind me and no one was chasing me, so I thought to myself and said “shouldn’t they be fallowing me”. I started to realize that maybe; I should take the hint and run to the other side of the field. So I ran back to the other end of the field as fast as possible.

Just as I was about to make a beautiful pass the reff blows his whistle again and says, “Half Time!” We all jog to my coach and she says to us “Girls we have one whole half left, I know you can score at least one goal!”

Wwwwwweeeeeee, the reff’s whistle blew again. I had to sit out the first few minutes of the second half. And as I was watching the other girls on my team I noticed how my team was using their heads and making great shots.

We had about twenty minutes of game time left. So my Coach Bee Bee sent me out onto the field.

After watching my team play, I decided to try to make a goal myself.

We had kick off. As the reff blew his whistle I passed the blue Sea Shore Soccer ball to the left forward. She made a beautiful pass around the defenders to the left forward. The left forward passed to me, and at this point, we were so close to goal, I could just smell victory! I dribbled right up to the six point line and I took a great shot that went right into the goal! “Wwwwweeeeeee” the game was over, and we had won the game! So after all that doubting I had in my mind, we had still won the game.
After we were off the field my coach, family and friends all came to congratulate us on winning our first game off the season. As we walked away to our cars I could still here people yelling “Go Stingrays, Go Stingrays, Yay Wahoo”

I stayed on that team for about seven years. As the years went by and we all got older our all girls soccer team was transformed into a co-ed tea. Coach Beth Lilly retired so we all had to go our separate ways. I really miss my teammates; half of them are sophomores in high school now, but that doesn’t mean that I will never play with them in years to come.

The past two years I have been on two REC teams and one challenge team. Right now I am on the girl’s school soccer team “MCMS Minutemen” and I am also playing for Mr. Healey’s Girls U14 Challenge team. I am looking forward to be playing soccer all throughout college. Maybe one day you will see me on television playing soccer for Brazil or Columbia.