NBA Finals: Game 6 2012-2013 | Teen Ink

NBA Finals: Game 6 2012-2013

By Juan Rodriguez BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida
Juan Rodriguez BRONZE, West Melbourne, Florida

It looked as if Tony Parker and Tim Duncan were going to lead the Spurs to winning the NBA Finals for the fifth time in the last 15 years. The closing minutes of the fourth quarter had everyone on the edge of their seats, even standing up., but they all shared one common trait: Not one of them would dare say a word. The Heat were down by six points and it appeared they were going to lose on their third straight trip to the Finals and not win back- to- back titles. The Spurs had the game, just a bunch of old, experienced guys playing smart basketball. Everyone watching could feel the tension beginning to grow, even the guys at home or at a bar could feel the heat in the stadium. Not even the Spurs fans would dare say anything, not yet, the stakes were too high to predict and many teams had come back before. A limited amount of people thought it was in the bag and decided the Miami Heat were going to need a miracle.

Neither Lebron James nor Dwayne Wade had taken many threes this year due to settling to better shots and a higher field goal percentage. They weren't bad shooters, but they sure weren't lights out. The Heat decided to keep their Big 3 consisting of Chris Bosh, Wade, and James, as well as substitute in some shooters. The referees blew their whistle signaling that game play was about to resume. Lebron got the ball off the inbound and hurried up the court. He was not planning on losing Game 6 of the NBA Finals. He had been named MVP( Most Valuable Player) for a fourth time and had been nothing short of that. He went around some screens using his shooters as decoys. James settled for a three. It was as if the ball was moving in slow motion as the viewing audience just followed the ball with their eyes. The ball hit the rim and went in with about 45 seconds left to play. Some people went wild, while others couldn't bear to watch. It was a clutch shot but the Heat were still down by three.

The Spurs put Manu Ginobili in the game who had been struggling during the series and took out Tony Parker who had played like a star. Ginobili had been turnover prone and lost his confidence. The Spurs milked the clock as far as far as the 24 second shot clock would allow them. Ginobili goes through a pick and immediately heads towards the rim. He finds skyscrapers around him and throws the ball out of bounds. Quickly, the Heat call a timeout to talk it over. Time went by fast and before you knew it, Lebron had the ball with about 12 seconds left. He shoots another three and this one looks perfect but it bounces off the rim. Chris Bosh, who had barely scored in the series, jumps over all the Spurs players around him and manages to tap the ball to Ray Allen. Allen was the current record holder for most three pointers made in the history of the NBA. He was a veteran and had enough sense to be in a stepping back motion towards the three point line as he was getting the ball with about 6 seconds left. All of the Spurs near Allen tried to contest the shot but it was no use. Allen's shot is to good and he manages to get it off over all the defenders. “Swish”. Nothing but net. Half of the viewing audience goes crazy as the other half can't believe what they've just seen. The Spurs get the ball with a few seconds left and get it to their star and franchise player, Tim Duncan. This was his team and if anything happened, it was on him. He was able to find a great shot at point- blank range. A lay-up. He lays it in and the ball hits the back iron and bounces out. Overtime.

This shot by Allen as well as the course of events will go down as one of the best in history. The Heat forced a Game 7 in overtime and went on to win their second straight Finals. Some say the Spurs gave away the Finals. Others say the Heat were true champions and a dynasty for the ages. All we know for sure is it was a great ending to the NBA season and spark for something in the future...

This piece is a snapshot moment of Game 6 of the 2012- 2013 NBA Finals between the Miami Heat and the San Antonio Spurs.