New York Yankees | Teen Ink

New York Yankees

By idriveamustang BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
idriveamustang BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida

"Snap. Spot. In the air its got the distance it is NO GOOD!!"

Not only are New York Yankees my favorite team, but they are known for being the best team in baseball history. So good, they’ve won 27 world series between 1923-2007 (they’ve been to the world series 40 times). They have also only entered the playoffs as a wildcard 4 times, the rest they were AL East division champions.

New York Yankees were founded in 1901 as Baltimore Orioles (now, Baltimore Orioles are our division rival). We only stayed the Baltimore Orioles for 2 seasons. We then became New York Highlanders for 10 seasons and ever since then, we’ve been New York Yankees.

New York Yankees have retired 18 numbers (Billy Martin, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Bill Dickey, Yogi Berra, Roger Maris, Phil Rizzuto, Thurman Munson, Whitey Ford, Don Mattingly, Elston Howard, Casey Stangel, Mariano Rivera, Reggie Jackson, Ron Guidry and Jackie Robinson). They also have much more hall of famers.

New York Yankees had had many stadiums in their time. Their first stadium was Oriole Park in Baltimore, they only used it for 2 seasons when they were Baltimore Orioles. After they were done in it, it was home to a minor league team. Oriole Park was a huge success until a fire broke out late one night (unknown cause, thought to be a disintegrated cigarette) that burnt down the park. The stadium they played in next was Hilltop Park, when they moved to New York to become the Highlanders. In 1913, they changed their name to New York Yankees and they moved to Brush Stadium for a short period of time and then the Polo Grounds for an even shorter period of time. In 1923, they built a new stadium for the team on 161 street in Bronx, (old) Yankee Stadium. They played there from 1923-2008 (except 1974-1975 they played in Shea Stadium). They now play in (new) Yankee Stadium.

In 2013, Yankees made a rarity. It is known as one of the longest and one of the most exciting plays of Yankees history. Present-day Baltimore Orioles 3B Manny Machado grounded into what is known as the “4–6–5–6–5–3–4 triple play”. Later that season in Mariano Rivera’s retirement game, Yankees lost to Tampa Bay Rays to eliminate them from playoff contention for second time in team history.

Go Yankees.

This is a piece about my MLB team, New York Yankees.

FlipFlop said...
I am proud to say this articale was written by my 16 year old nephew!  This kid knows everything about any kind of sport! Any editors would be wise to snatch him up now. Remember his name....because he is going to be top notch viewing within the next few years!  Also...to watch him bowl a 300 game...is like no big deal to him.  The other bowlers stop and watch in amazaement as he just goes about it in a normal every day routine.   I'm telling ya...he is on his way!  Watch!