A Swim Meet | Teen Ink

A Swim Meet

December 7, 2015
By 19millerj BRONZE, Decatur, Indiana
19millerj BRONZE, Decatur, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Swimmers  step up…Take your mark… “BLEEP.” A large light shot off telling my fellow swimmers game on. It’s us against the clock (and the other team). Its the 200 yard freestyle. I was in lane one, heat three.

I jumped and had a streamline to the middle of the pool. I was falling behind. Overtime I took a breath; I could see one of my two coaches. He started yelling for me to kick harder and stretch my arms. It was only the first twenty-five. I still had a long way to go before I could finish. I was singing a song in my head to keep myself going the same pace. I flipped on my first flip turn, and I took a breath. I was catching up with everyone. I was getting more and more self confident.

I starting singing the song a bit faster and faster and faster. My second flip turn was coming up, and I completed my first fifty. Only one hundred fifty left. I was at the front of the pack. I was getting so confident that I sprinted to the other end of the pool and I did my third flip turn way before anyone else. I was being cheered for and my coach was still telling my to kick and stretch. In my head I was thinking everyone would be so proud of my accomplishment.

All the sudden I couldn't feel my thighs and it was getting extremely hard to breathe. I was in so much pain. I took it easy, but the fifth flip turn was coming up. I was already halfway done with the race. I was doing extremely great from my standpoint. I started to slow down; I knew I was still a bit ahead of everyone.

I started breathing regularly again, but it still burnt. I thought it was just the chlorine in the water affecting me but then I realized I was pushing myself too hard. Everyone started catching up, again, I noticed as soon as my coach raised both of his hands like a “Touchdown” sign It got smaller the slower I went. I started to pick up the pace; I only had a fifty left and I had a lot to accomplish: beating my record, beating the school’s record, and beating the other five swimmers in my heat. I wanted to prove to my coach I could do it and let her realize she made the right decision with letting me swim.

I did my final flip turn and all I heard was my team-mates screaming and shouting to get me to swim faster. I was sprinting to the fishing line. It came down to me and this other girl in lane three. We were neck in neck. I kicked the hardest I could and used as much arm muscle as possible to drag my body through the water. I got down to the last set of flags and she was one marker behind me. I took one last breath and I kicked as hard as I could then “THUD!”

My hand hit the wall. As I stood on the ledge in the pool, I frantically turn around and look at the score board. Lane one, first place, Time of 2:13:05. Lane three. second place. Time of 2:13:09. I did it. I beat her.

 I jumped out of the pool, and I congratulated her. As I walked back to my own team, trying to catch a breath,  all I could hear was screaming girls running up to me. A hug here, a high five there, a secret handshake there. I look up at the stands and saw a very proud mom and dad staring back at me. After I heard feedback from my coach, I ran up the bleachers and I gave my parents a big hug, even though I was soaked and smelled like chlorine. I was so proud of myself. All of the hard work at practice and extra time in the school’s weight room helped me out.

I strive to be the best I can be each and everyday.


The author's comments:

This story was about my first swim meet as a freshman in high school.