Wardell Stephen Curry | Teen Ink

Wardell Stephen Curry

Wardell Curry was born in Akron Ohio. He was born in the same hospital as LeBron James. Wardell’s full name is Wardell Stephen Curry. Everybody calls him Steph or Stephen. Steph is the son of former NBA player Dell Curry. He has a brother Seth, who is also an NBA player. Steph’s mother is Sonya Curry he also has a sister named Sydel Curry.

Steph Curry had a good childhood. His father made plenty of money from basketball. Steph had to move around a lot because his father was traded to different teams. Curry attended middle school in Ontario. Even during middle school Steph was much better than the other players on his team.

Steph had a great high school career. However, most of the other great NBA players of today had an even better high school career. Most other NBA stars win state for their high school very handedly. Steph led his team to state, but never won a state championship. Steph still had a good enough high school career to go to a division one college. His father went to Virginia Tech, so naturally Steph wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps and also go to Virginia Tech. However, Virginia Tech did not offer Steph a scholarship. Steph was offered scholarships to Davidson, VCU, and Winthrop.  Steph chose to go to Davidson.

Davidson was, and still is a very small school. Davidson also never had a very good basketball. Curry made his college debut against Eastern Michigan. It was a terrible game. He was okay at scoring with 15 points, but turned the ball over 13 times. His second game was very different from his first he had 32 points and 4 assists. Curry went on to have a spectacular freshman season averaging 21.5 points. This made Curry the second highest scorer in the nation, only behind future NBA MVP Kevin Durant. In most of his games, Curry had around 20 points, but every once in a while he would have a 30 point game. Curry was the best basketball player to ever play at Davidson in only his freshman season. Davidson would go to the Southern Conference tournament that year. Curry and the Wildcats would end up winning the championship of the Southern Conference. Curry beat the school single season scoring record during his freshman season, and led his team to the NCAA tournament where they would be placed as a 13 seed. Their opponent would be the Maryland Terrapins. Curry scored 30 points in their 12 point loss to Maryland.

Curry is the type of basketball player who always gets better every year. Curry also reached his full height of 6’ 3”. Curry upped his freshman scoring of 21.5 points per game, and averaged 25.5 points per game. After a very successful freshman season, most people would think that it would be hard for him to set many more records. The truth is that although Curry did not set more records than his freshman season, he achieved more prestigious records and accomplishments. Davidson went undefeated in their conference matchups in Curry’s sophomore season, a perfect 20-0 with a record of 26-6 overall. With another conference title, and great record, the Wildcats received another spot in the NCAA tournament. Davidson was given another very tough matchup in the first round, Davidson would play Gonzaga. After trailing 11 going into the second half, Curry scored 30 in the second half and led Davidson to a great comeback victory. Curry scored an amazing 40 points in the game against Gonzaga. Davidson would also go on to beat second-seeded Georgetown. The Wildcats met Wisconsin in the sweet sixteen. Curry had another amazing game in Davidson’s 73-56 victory. Curry scored a new record of 159 three-point shots in a single season in their loss against Kansas. Curry was then named most outstanding player of the Midwest division.

Most players that have even one college season like Curry’s first two seasons go to the NBA, but Curry elected to return to Davidson for his junior year. Curry did remarkably well in most of his games in his junior year. However, there was one game where Curry never scored a point. Davidson played Loyola. Loyola was not even near the skill level of the Wildcats. Loyola chose to shutdown Curry by double teaming him the entire game. This strategy works for guarding a single player, but it leaves at least another player wide open. Davidson would still beat Loyola by 30 points. Davidson finished the year with a conference record of 18-2. Davidson would advance to the semifinals of the Southern Conference Championship where they played Charleston College. Davidson would lose against Charleston. Since Davidson did not win their conference, the Wildcats would not make the NCAA tournament despite best efforts from both Charleston and Davidson. Both coaches from Charleston and Davidson lobbied the NCAA about Davidson not making the tournament. The NCAA placed Davidson in the National Invitation Tournament. Davidson would only make it to the second round of the NIT before losing. Curry averaged 28.6 points his junior year.

It was obvious that after the type of season that Davidson had, Curry would declare for the NBA draft. Curry still had a very impressive season, but the Davidson team as a whole was only an above average team. Curry did not finish college so he did not earn his degree. Curry was exempt from having his jersey being retired at Davidson until he finished his degree. Curry was selected as the 7th pick of the 2009 NBA draft. Curry would be playing for the Golden State Warriors. Curry signed a four year deal for 21.7 million dollars.

Curry had 14 points and 7 assists in his NBA debut. Curry had a very exceptional rookie season, he had a triple-double and finished second for the rookie of the year award. Curry averaged 17.5 points a game in his rookie season.

Curry’s second season with the Warriors was a record-setting season. Curry won the NBA all-star skills test over the NBA’s all-star week. Curry set a new Golden State record for free throw percentage at 93.4%. Lastly, Curry upped his scoring average with 18.6 points per game. One downside to his second season is that he hurt his ankle during the season.

Curry’s third season was a much different game for both Steph and the NBA. In this season, there was a nationwide player lockout of the NBA.  Curry had surgery on his ankle, but he did not miss a game because of it. The lockout ended shortly after Curry had recovered from surgery, and Curry went on to play in the season opener.
In the 2012-13 season, which was Curry’s fourth season, Curry continued to set new personal records. Curry scored a new personal high of 54 points in a single game. Curry re-signed with the Warriors with a 4 year, 44 million dollar contract. Curry helped lead his team to the NBA playoffs. The Warriors won their first series against the Denver Nuggets in six games. Their next opponent was the Spurs. The Warriors and Curry lost a tough series in six games.

In the 2013-14 season Curry started to break records in just his fifth year in the NBA. Curry made his 1000th three-pointer and did it in the fewest seasons ever. Curry went to the all-star game again. Other than those few events, Curry had a good season, but not as good of a season as you would expect from Steph.

The 2014-15 season was a huge season for Curry, where Curry became the season’s MVP. Curry gained the most votes to go to the NBA all-star game. Curry received more votes to go to the all-star game than LeBron James. Curry broke his own record for three-pointers in a season. Curry led the Warriors to become the top seeded team in the Western Conference of the NBA. Curry also led his team to the National championship. The Warriors beat LeBron James and the Cavaliers in six games to win the title.

In the Current NBA season Curry and the Warriors are doing amazing things. They currently have a perfect 23-0 start to their season, an NBA record. Curry is the top scorer in the NBA with 32.4 points per game. The Warriors beat the Memphis Grizzlies, who were a playoff team last year, by 50 points. Curry has several triple-doubles along with many 50 and 40 point games. Curry is trying to earn his degree to have his jersey retired at Davidson. Curry recently crushed the Charlotte Hornets on a night the Hornets dedicated to his father, Dell Curry.

Steph Curry is a player who has improved greatly every season. He is already considered by many one of the best shooters ever. It is only Curry’s sixth season in the NBA and he continues to break records. Curry and The Warriors are still fighting to keep their perfect record alive for this season. The Warriors will most-likely not go undefeated the entire season. The NBA record is a 33 game win streak at any point in a season. The Warriors have a chance to beat the record, the Warriors 34th game of the season is right before Christmas.