We're All Insane | Teen Ink

We're All Insane

I have tried almost every sport a girl can do. I have tried softball, volleyball, cheer, track, and cross country. But, I only have a burning passion for one; cross country. Something about running three miles makes me anxious and eager. Running is a mental sport, and we’re all insane.'

Ever since I was little I knew I liked to run. I could run all day when I was a kid. I was running laps at my softball practice when I realized I hated softball. The only thing that I actually good at was running the bases. I was the fastest girl on my team. But i could not catch the ball to save my life. Let alone hitting the ball.
I started this wonderful sport when I was in seventh grade. I have loved every minute since then. I love going to practice in the middle of summer. I love waking up at 6 in the morning every Saturday. I love running in the rain, snow and sun. I love everything there is to cross country.

I remember my first cross country meet. It was so chaotic but I loved every second of it. We went to the school early in the morning and we rode the bus to some college about 20 minutes away. It was the beginning of September. It was cooler in the morning but warmer in the afternoon.

When the bus dropped us off we immediately found a place to set up our tent. Then we got the map from our coach and we set out to walk the course. Everyone is half running, half walking. We only ran two miles back in middle school. It only took about half an hour to walk the course. Everyone is always goofing around even though it is about 7 in the morning.

When we got back to the tent our coach started passing out our bibs. We stretched and drank some more water. There was a group of girls running to the bathroom every other 5 minutes. We threw on our uniforms and lightly jogged to the start line. After some more stretches we ran out about 100 feet. We started to do our annual chants and cheers like we do before every race. The gun shooter yelled “Last call for a run out.”
While everyone does one final run out, my team was telling each other “good luck.” I was so nervous. The gunman raises his arms. My heart skipped a few beats. I felt like I was about to puke on the girl next to me. Then the gun went off and I realized what what going on. I started off slower than I should have. I felt like I was dying. Then remembered to breathe in through my nose, out through my mouth. Running was easier after I remembered how to breathe.

As I approached the finish line, I suddenly felt so relieved. It was the last 100 feet. I remembered my coach telling me at practice to give it all I have left. I heard parents yelling at me “LAST 100, FINISH STRONG!” I immediately ran as fast as I could. I felt like I was floating. I could not feel the cramps anymore. I knew I could not let any other girl pass me in the last couple yards. I even passed a few girls.

By the time I finished, there were girls crying and/ or vomiting. It was pretty traumatizing back in seventh grade, but now I am used to it. We walked through the line, some volunteers passed out waters. There were women collecting a part of our bibs. Then before we got out of the line someone handed me a medal.
Since it was my first meet I was not expecting a medal. I was just proud to finish let alone get a medal. The medal read “ 2012 Circleville Kiwanis Cross Country Invitational 25th Place.” I have never felt so great in my life. I was so proud to report to my coach about how I did.

After just one cross country meet I knew that it was the sport for me. I have done cross country every year since seventh grade. Now I am in the tenth grade in high school. Cross country is my life. I have loved every second of it.