Sweet Little Janelle | Teen Ink

Sweet Little Janelle

By jordanrseiler BRONZE, Austin, Texas
jordanrseiler BRONZE, Austin, Texas

A cold breeze brushed my feet as the air from outside of the plane seeped through. My blue eyes opened slowly, as I wiped away the crusties from my eyes. I looked up and realized that we were only an hour away from landing in the Philippines. When we arrived I stretched my tall, aching body. We hopped on a bus and headed to the Masa Ati School. Driving by the water, I realized that it was a perfect blue and green. Almost like Jello, with its pure sweet color. Meeting the kids melted my heart. Their love and kindness was so unbelievable. Teaching them and experiencing their culture was life changing. I started to become more humble to those in need of some food, shelter and love. Through the week, I fell in love with the cute 4-year-old girl named Janelle. Her laugh danced through the air and created smiles on everyone's faces. Playing on the playground with her, and running around with bare feet, I felt like a little kid again. The cold, brown dirt felt good against my feet, as the sun blazed down my back. I wasn’t worried about anything. Janelle didn't speak any English, but I didn't care. Her joyful facial expressions gave so much emotion on their own. Coming home and thinking of how much I miss being there made me cry. I will never forget the beauty of this trip and how sweet, little Janelle made it so amazing.