I’m denied the right to speak my own language in my own country? | Teen Ink

I’m denied the right to speak my own language in my own country?

By CosethSuarez BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
CosethSuarez BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

There is been a lot of discussion about if English is killing other languages ,but first we need to define the English language as a powerful language.However powerful languages thrive on the weakness of other languages. So yes it’s killing other languages in the same way that every language associated with a state kills other minority languages.

In the United States English has killed hundreds of Languages counting numerous of dialects including  the Algonquian, Iroquoian and Athabaskan families. 

English language also has killed other languages in other nations.In the UK and Ireland, English has killed Celtic, Gaelic .And in Australia, English has killed many Australian aboriginal languages.

I would like to focus on the state of Oklahoma where the Euchee people live ,the native tribe have only four remaining fluent speakers, and they are each over 70 years old. 

The Euchee case is not an anomaly: According to UNESCO, half of the world’s more than 6,000 languages are spoken by fewer than 10,000 people—and half of those are spoken by fewer than 1,000.

I focused in  Euchee case because  English is killing indegeneous languages ,that  makes me sad ,since the loss of indegeneous languages it means the loss of cultural diversity.

Suzanne Talhouk an lebanense activist ,shares that language is an expression of identity and culture, which makes a group of people unique; it is not simply a collection of words, Talhouk worries that English is effortlessly becoming the world's default language, and sees English's invasion of Lebanese and Arabic culture as harmful to the rich history of the Lebanese people.

Race,culture,and language are factors that makes the world a diverse place,that makes a group different from others,minority languages disappeared because the world is changing and those who couldn’t survive die out.

There are reasons why minority languages are dying,first the education system says that nationalized schools are successful in practically speaking the dominant language;to find a job it is crucial to know the dominant language and social pressure to fit in.

I said the negative points, but experts say that “the entire world language system is restructuring,” and English is just  the main character .There is evidence that the widespread use of English actually boosts the growth of other languages. 

As English becomes a basic skill shared by all, the competitive edge it used to offer is lost, and other languages must be learned to gain an advantage. 

The English language is not guilty of killing other languages, Mandarin, Spanish and Arabic are beginning to dominate in different areas.

It is becoming more and more common for people to communicate in English.

English is spoken by hundreds of millions of people around the world, it is the preferred free language in the world: the language that people usually turn to when they do not share a language.

English it is a  global language that develops the world better in this ways :better communication, less conflicts, improved scientific research, more accurate history, cultural mixing, and more unit.

Experts say that “the entire world language system is restructuring,” and English is just  the main character.

In the other hand English language help people  understand other languages Enlgish is truly unique ,has a beautiful history that includes wars, invasions and influences from around the globe. Cultures that have helped shape modern English include Vikings,French and the Roman.

To end the language  we speak is an expression of identity and if unfortunately many languages are dying, but we can flip the coin use technology and science so that minority languages do not disappear for example with apps that help us learn small languages and save the heritage they represent.

In many parts of the world, English is still considered a passport to success since a common language would immediately improve international communication.