Alaska Trip | Teen Ink

Alaska Trip

By Sam_beattie BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Sam_beattie BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

Life is filled with transformative moments, and I have learned they come when least expected. Living in Chicago, a diverse metropolitan city, I’m always lucky to have many experiences at my fingertips. Whether walking to Wrigley Field to catch a Cubs game, going to the beach with my friends, or riding the “L” to attend my church and passing out meals to the homeless on Sundays, I’ve grown accustomed to city life. The comforts and ease of normal life from growing up in Chicago were all about to change, and I would be forced from my comfort zone. A three-week journey to America's last frontier, Alaska, made me realize how fortunate and grateful I am.

After landing in Anchorage, I met my fellow high schoolers from all over the country. I was scared but excited for what was to come—we all were.  During the four-hour drive from Anchorage to Girdwood, we could only see snow-capped mountains and crystal-blue water. It was beautiful!  The first night in the backcountry, after a group member attempted to make quesadillas, I found myself digging a hole to use the bathroom, and I wished I was home. Living in tents, sleeping on the ground, and bathing in cold mountain lakes forced us to adapt and work together.  We relied on support from each other, learned about each other's lives, and worked together to overcome the obstacles of living in the Alaskan wilderness.  We were forming a bond that would hopefully last a lifetime. 

By the 13th day, living remotely in the Denali State Park out of nowhere, I got a throbbing headache in the middle of the Chugach Mountains. I was dehydrated and suffering from altitude sickness.  Without clean water to drink, I had to wait an hour for the iodine tablets to take effect. In serious pain, I had no choice but to power through a twelve-mile-long mountain hike.  As the rain began to fall, being both miserable and exhausted, I slipped and injured my knee. I felt hopeless and wanted to give up…. but I didn’t. I continued and made it to the summit of the mountain.  I was tired, bruised, exhausted, but I felt a sense of accomplishment and was proud that I finished the hike.

Like on the hike, the feelings of self-doubt and hardship reminded me of a similar struggle at the start of high school.  During the start of my freshman year, a COVID-induced hybrid schedule caused me to lose motivation to turn in assignments, study, and be excited about school.  I soon found myself behind and overwhelmed. My grades slipped, and I became academically ineligible for lacrosse. Because I wanted to play lacrosse, I realized something needed to change.  This setback forced me to study and take classes seriously.  Once eligible, I returned to practice, only to find out I was forced to self-quarantine, causing me to miss my first-ever lacrosse game. I was sad, angry, and frustrated.  But I pushed on, and I used this learning experience to drive me to become a varsity lacrosse starter, a future defensive captain, and then earning first academic honors every quarter since the beginning of my sophomore year. Like my adventure in Alaska, these challenges almost got the best of me. Little did I know these events would be crucial in shaping who I am today.

Returning home, I gained an appreciation for being disconnected from social media, the silence of the Alaskan wilderness, and the simple life of a hiker. But now, I have set new goals for myself. My past experiences have taught me that personal growth and self-discovery often happen outside my comfort zone, and I am prepared to face the unknown with courage and resilience.  I’m prepared to keep climbing mountains.

I went on an trip to alska to hike the mountains and I wrote my college essay on it