The Vibrant Culture of Guam | Teen Ink

The Vibrant Culture of Guam MAG

By JJLG BRONZE, Artesia, California
JJLG BRONZE, Artesia, California

If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go? This is a very popular question that people get asked and there is one place in mind that you should think about traveling. The beautiful island of Guam. I personally am from this amazing island and I can tell you that this is the place for anybody. Guam is a tropical paradise among the Mariana Islands in the Pacific Ocean and is a US territory. It is known not only for its stunning views and gleaming beaches, but also for its rich and diverse culture. Chamorro culture has a variety of indigenous traditions, Spanish influences, and American influences which reflect its history. In this article, I can help you explore the various aspects of Guam’s culture, including its language, food, traditional arts, and cultural dance since I myself am Chamorro.

The Chamorro language serves as the glue of Guam and its people. It is an Austronesian language that many of Guam’s islanders still speak today. The Chamorro language is an important part of our people staying strong and preserving our culture. Although, ever since the growth of the world, English has also become widely spoken in many places, therefore becoming the official language along with Chamorro. Surprisingly, even though Guam is part of the Micronesian region, its language serves as an independent branch from Micronesian and Polynesian. I can tell you that this is one language you want to learn and can help connect you to the island. Language diversity reflects Guam’s connections of the past with Spain and the US.

The food of Guam is a delicious combination of flavors from different cultures. Some of the traditional foods include kelaguen (made up of grilled meat mixed with lemon, onions, and other spices) and red rice. These foods represent our cultural roots and where we came from but they are also delicious. More of the foods served on Guam include bbq and empanadas which are very delightful with a blast of flavors. There are many different dishes you can get on Guam which will make you start begging for seconds. Guam’s food appeals to locals and visitors which makes it easier to continue the island’s cultural diversity.

Guam’s culture also includes many different kinds of traditional arts and crafts. Artistic objects are very significant. Arts such as weaving, pottery, and carving have been passed down from generation to generation. The art of weaving is more common and more cherished by the Chamorro people. They create beautiful items using natural resources such as coconut leaves. They can make hats, baskets, fans, and more! Carving on Guam went from being used for practical reasons to becoming more of an art form. These artistic traditions benefit the island’s cultural pride as well as attracting more tourists.

There are many vibrant festivals and celebrations throughout the year. Many of which come dancers from the islands who use their talents to tell a story to the audience. The Kutturan Chamoru Foundation is a group of talented dancers of which practice different dances and songs that represent the Chamorro people. Members of my family such as my sister and mother have joined this group and are proud to be showing our culture. They go to many different places around the world to entertain others about the island of Guam. Every year, there is a big Pacific Islander festival held in San Diego in which they perform. There are many booths people set up to sell different kinds of items. The costumes they wear are full of color and correctly depict our ancestors with how the men dress too. This form of cultural dancing is a big part in preserving Chamorro culture and history. This helps to further enhance the cultural heritage of Guam.

Guam’s culture is a very captivating blend of indigenous Chamorro traditions. Guam’s islanders will always be here because of the various ways they keep their culture alive, including their language, cuisine, artwork, and dances. As this culture grows, it remains a sense of pride and serves as a bridge from the past to the future. This helps connect new generations to the island and helps to welcome visitors with open arms. Guam is the best place in the world and its culture is very captivating indeed. With my experience, there is no other place I would choose to go except Guam.

I wrote this piece because not that many people know about Guam's culture. Some don't even know what it is. I am from the Island of Guam and I would like to share my culture with the whole world. I am proud of where I come from and I wanted to express it. I try to do every little thing to help preserve our culture and this is one more thing I could do.