Navajo | Teen Ink

Navajo

January 18, 2024
By Anonymous

As my family and I got out of the car, the hot sun and arid winds of Arizona hit my face. We walked into the building where we waited for a tour guide. Inside, the walls were covered in an array of captivating pictures of the canyon. The colorful rocks against the bright sky caught my attention. Soon, our tour guide meets us and we start hiking. She introduces herself and tells us about how she came about working here and her history with the canyon. She has a deep connection with this land and she carried that pride with her throughout the tour. She spoke about how she comes from a long line of Navajos, a tribe that once lived inside the canyon. The dry and hot conditions of Arizona made treacherous living conditions for them. However, inside the canyon, the temperature was cool and provided shade and protection. We descended down into the canyon and I immediately understood what she meant. The temperature had shifted abruptly and I was surrounded by cool air. As we walked through the canyon I continued to learn more and more about her ancestors and her culture. The Navajo tribe had a deep connection with the canyon and called it, “Tse bighanilini” which means, “the place where water runs through rocks.” After the walk, she brought us a Navajo dish called fry bread. It was a dish that had been passed down for generations and was a Navajo staple. While I ate the dish, I felt connected to Navajo life. The meal felt like a celebration of culture. As we finished our meal, she took us to a hut that the Navajo would have lived in before the canyon had formed. It gave us a glimpse of what Navajo life was like and how different it was. As my family and I drove back to our Airbnb, I reflected on how much culture and heritage was embedded in the canyon. I was not only amazed by the amazing and breathtaking views, but also the history and stories that I learned through eating their native dish, and seeing what life was like.