Flirtexting, the new dating | Teen Ink

Flirtexting, the new dating

By Claire Westlie GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Claire Westlie GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

It finally happened. There is now a term for when you spend hours texting the guy you like and try to get him to be with you; Flirtexting.

Flirtexting is the new, ‘trendy’ way of letting a guy know you like them. They’re the kind of texts you type and re-type before you send to make sure you said the right thing.

What happened to the good old days? What did people do before texting and facebook chatting? Oh right, they actually talked to each other. No wonder we have trouble communicating with each other and hide behind cell phones and computer screens. Who wants to actually talk to the person they like?

Flirtexting.com is a website that gives girls tips on how to ‘catch the guy,’ through texting. They put it the best, “When it comes to communicating, our generation has shorter attention spans and greater expectations.”

Flirtexting is also a book that gives girls tips and tricks to sending ‘the perfect text.’ Authors Debra Goldstein and Olivia Baniuszewicz, make the claim that you need to know how to flirt text or you won’t get the guy.

Junior Nicole admits to texting about 2,000 times a month. The majority of those texts are sent to her boyfriend.

“We barely ever talk on the phone,” said Nicole, “but if we do, it’s not for very long.”

Texting is ok to get to know each other or to quick say ‘hi’ when you can’t talk on the phone, but if texting becomes the new dating, than what’s the new marriage?