The Signal Tower in Paris | Teen Ink

The Signal Tower in Paris

The new construction of the seventy-one story skyscraper in the business district of Paris is causing confusion and curiosity to brew in local cafés. Anointed the Signal Tower, and hoping to be completed in 2015, it will be the second tallest building in Paris after the Eiffel Tower. Divided into four cubes, including shops and restaurants, offices, a hotel and apartments, it would be an efficient way to benefit Parisians in the area. This building will help France tremendously and should be built, despite arguments that counter its relevance. The Signal Tower will play an important role in modernizing France by enhancing business, creating a globalized economy, and boosting their international reputation. This revolutionary structure will enable France to assume its position as a world leader.
In La Défense, the business district of Paris, the controversial high-rise would be an architectural analogy for President Nicolas Sarkozy’s approach to business reform in France. This community is a key workplace and known as Europe’s largest business district, with 2,500 company headquarters in addition to 20,000 residents; the Signal Tower would further solidify this neighborhood’s global reputation for business leadership. Parisians should embrace the idea of transforming France into a more efficient country. Also, it will be very useful for Parisian businessmen, and essential to extract France from its economic time warp. The Signal Tower is a change for the better, allowing French business to flourish, including the opportunity for competition in global markets.

With rapid growth and improvement in the world today, France’s position as a leader and competitor in global markets will become renown and thrive. By hiring French architect Jean Nouvel, the winner of the Pritzker Architecture Prize, the highest award in the industry, as well as British Norman Foster and the American Daniel Libeskind, chosen for the challenging project of rebuilding Ground Zero, France’s aspirations of recognition in the international arena are made explicitand will be attained. Sarkozy’s goals of benefiting society by hiring a group of very distinguished architects is an example of France’s evolution, and shows that France is well on its way to becoming a modern nation and a rising leader in world affairs.

There remains much controversy as to whether or not the Signal Tower will compete with its rival, the Eiffel Tower, the symbol of French culture and tradition. French citizens believe this crisis of modernization will be destructive to preserving traditional French culture. As a result of French citizens’ resistance to change, it will be difficult for them to embrace the decision to build the tower, adapting to new situations and adopting a modern lifestyle. However, the new skyscraper will cause the French to acquire a better reputation, which will improve the image of their country as France modernizes, using technological advancements. As a result of the strict building regulations, high-rises were forbidden to be in the central part of Paris, for interference with Parisian culture. This act of aesthetic preservation -- justified by the city’s glorious art architecture -- remains a sensitive subject for Parisians, as many are afraid that the new skyscraper will overpower the cultural aspects of Paris. Parisians ought to remember that what makes theirs a unique city is that it contains traditional and modern elements. The Signal Tower is a positive sign of the ascendance of the French economy. Once this building is constructed, the citizens as well as the businessmen will be proud of their country’s accomplishments in moving toward a brighter future.
Overall, having a positive effect on France as a whole, the Signal Tower should be built for the success and improvements that it promises to occasion. That way, the fine art and historic buildings will be preserved to signify the importance of traditional culture, but at the same time, France’s business side will truly improve through activeness in modern world affairs. The Signal Tower helps keep modernization and tradition alive in Paris, one of the most fascinating cities in the world. Thus, the French will open the doors to a new way of life and future success, and not only be known as people who sit in cafés, but emerging businessmen in the world, and a role model for others to follow.

After traveling to Paris this past March, I fell in love with the city. However, this essay is inspired by an article I read in the Financial Times about the decision to build the Signal Tower. I thank my dad for sharing the article with me as well as my French teacher, Madame Haymaker, for sharing with me her passion for French.

Aunt Kim said...
This is a very compelling and informative article, addressing both sides of the contoversy. Very mature writing. My only critique would be the reference to businessmen only and leaving out business women. I know you will be a huge contribution to this world! Can't wait to see how you choose to do it!

Bigga said...
The construction of the Signal Tower should be a defining moment in Sarkozy's term in government, erasing the disaster that has become of the SocGen/Jerome Kervier derivatives scandal.

pooveys said...
Way to go, Amanda! This is an interesting exploration into the heart of French culture.

Bamlegs said...
Very informative

Big A said...
on Sep. 2 2008 at 12:27 am
I believe this would be Sarkozy's defining moment of his political career if this project gets built, making up for the Jerome Kervier and Socgen disaster.

Ann Mott said...
Amanda: I am incredibly impressed. You write better than anyone my age (28)! Excellent article, well-documented and researched. You do a great job addressing the positive benefits the Signal Tower will bring to Paris, while also recognizing the city's historical pull towards maintaining its status quo. Do you think the controversy swirling around the Signal Tower is similar to that which swirled around IM Pei’s glass pyramid at the Louvre? With hope, the Signal Tower will become as important as Pei’s masterpiece: a signal of the city’s past future.