Maine Bound | Teen Ink

Maine Bound

Ready to head out to the beach? Need a weekend to do Christmas shopping? Wells, Maine is the place for you. From laying out on a not so crowded beach to stopping in for Prelude while your Christmas shopping, Wells can benefit anyone at any time of year.

I've been vacationing in Wells, every since I was a kid. We go up for a week every summer and stay in my grandparents condominium at East Winds. Sometimes my family and I will go up for a weekend to visit the Christmas Prelude held at Kennebunkport. Wells has become my second home.

First thing first, the beach. Wells Beach is a popular spot from New Englanders to Canadians. It's somewhat of a long stretch of beach, when the tide is at its lowest point, it seems to go far into the horizon, it produces a big open space giving room for everybody. If you want to stay close to right on the beach you have multiple options; there's East Winds, my favorite, which is literally only a minute walk away from the beach, there's Bellevue By The Sea, across the street from East Winds, Lafayette's Oceanfront Resort, right on the ocean, Ne'r Beach Motel, up the street farther away from the commotion, and multiple others to chose from. I grew up with this beach and it has always been my favorite. It would be best to visit the beach on a very hot, summer day, no wind, no sign of lowering temperature, somewhat high up around 90 degrees, so that you can enjoy the nice ice cold water the Atlantic Ocean provides.

Welcome sign to Wells Beach

Now you're probably thinking, spending sometime is December in Maine? I thought it was all about the beaches up there? Well, actually a neighboring town of Wells, Kennebunkport, holds a Christmas Prelude every year in December. Prelude is when all of Kennebunkport gathers in the center of town and lights up there town Christmas tree and holds a 'crazy hat' parade. I've been to it a few times and it is really something everyone should go and see. There are two major pieces of advice I'd like to give you, one is to bundle up, it gets pretty cold, and two get there early, parking is very limited due to the large amount of people attending. Now having Prelude in Kennebunkport and attending it gives you everything the Prelude has to offer and also gives you access to multiple stores to shop from and dine from. Whether it's Allison's for dinner or Federal Jack's, you can choose from a nice hot cup of clam chowder or a nice fried piece of Haddock to anything in between. For shops, you can find just about anything from toys and games to clothes and jewelry. There's something for everyone.

Now I bring up the perks of going to Kennebunkport, in a piece about Wells because you can stay in Wells and only have to drive 10 or 15 minutes to Kennebunkport. You can stay and relax in Wells because not many tourists will be there in the Winter. Relax in Wells and shop and dine in Kennebunkport or in the other neighboring town of Ogunquit. Or you can chose from one of the many restaurants Wells provides. You have your pick from Mike's Clam Shack to The Fisherman's Catch to Billy's Chowder House, only to name a few; or if you want to catch breakfast Congdon's Donuts is for you. If you're looking for ice cream look no further than the Scoop Deck which is located on the main road going through Wells and has at least 50 different flavors of ice cream.

The Scoop Deck Flavor Menu

I would recommend Wells to anyone, Summer or Winter, because the beach is amazing and the people are wicked nice while in the Winter not many tourists are there so there is much peace and quiet while doing your Christmas shopping either in Wells, taking a drive up to the Maine Mall or driving 15 minutes to the Kittery Outlets.