The Battle of Olimpy | Teen Ink

The Battle of Olimpy

By Apollus, Ashland, Wisconsin
Apollus, Ashland, Wisconsin

Apollus's origin story.

“Thou shalt not kill another man without valid reasoning. Thou shalt swear to walk in the ways of Sheyua and obey all His commands. Thou shalt never walk away from the Order of Sheyua’s Light in search of a greater personal desire. Thou shalt uphold these laws with undeniable righteousness and faith. Whomsoever breaks these laws must be exiled and put to death.”

-Laws of Sheyua’s Light

It was a cool night and the moon was shining on the kingdom of Olimpy. A man lay in bed with his wife. He is no ordinary man. He is a Paladin of the Sheyuan faith. A great warrior for the otherwise peaceful religion. His name is Apollus.
All Paladins are selected due to their ancestors. If a child’s ancestors can be traced back to the first Paladin, Unthas, it is their birthright to become a Paladin. At the age of six he began lessons in the Great Sheyuan Temple of Olimpy. He learned from the ancient holy book, the Leorah. All Paladins in training must memorize this holy book by the time they are eight. Apollus was able to memorize it by the time he was seven. He excelled in every area of his studies.
When he turned twelve he began training to fight like a Paladin. He quickly became an exceptional fighter. He became a steward of the great Paladin General Tyrius. He served under Tyrius until he his coronation into the Paladin Order at the age of eighteen, the youngest to ever be conducted into the Order. He now resides in Olimpy with his wife, Kara, and his one year old son, Andus.

Apollus awoke to the sound of a night-hawk cawing in his windowsill.  He calmly got out of his bed to shoo the bird away. He looked out upon the city down below. From Sheyua’s Spear he could see the farmlands miles away from the walled city of Olimpy. The town was quiet and few people besides the guards were up this early in the morning. The moon was low in the sky and shed its glow on the grasslands and houses alike. A calming sight.
Apollus walked from the window to his wardrobe, a large, oaken dresser given to him by his grandfather. He opened it and grabbed a nightshirt and casual trousers. After dressing he grabbed his weapon. Not his massive warhammer that he carried into battle, but a more common shortsword. He strapped it to his waist and secured it in its sheath.
He walked to door of the room and exited so as to not wake his wife and child. He then trotted down the winding stairs into his personal study. He locked the door, sealing the soundproof room completely. His own copy of the Leorah lay closed on his desk. He sat down and opened the ancient book.
He read from the Third Passage of Polox, a well revered bishop during the beginnings of the Sheyuan faith. He was a nomad that traveled all over Zemlya, spreading the faith of Sheyua. This passage spoke of his hardships during his travels. Shipwrecks, imprisonments, beatings, and his ultimate beheading. Apollus had the book memorized but he still found comfort within it’s pages and he gleaned new information from it every time he read the Leorah.
He heard the door open and turned to see Kara standing there with a bed sheet wrapped around her. “Good morning,” she said and smiled. Apollus smiled back, closed the Leorah, and went to greet his wife. He kissed her on the forehead and embraced her. “I didn’t want to wake you,” he said. She pulled away a little bit and looked up into her husband’s rough but caring features. “Anytime you leave my side I will know and I will come find you. You remember that, Commander.”
Immediately Apollus’s  features went from loving husband to battle-hardened warrior. He knew what was coming and what this day will hold. Three weeks ago Mares, a former Paladin, left the Order after he lost his family to a disease he could not heal. He went off in search of a greater power that could have saved his family. He found Sheyuan’s ancient enemy, Beluctan.
Beluctan promised Mares power to bring his family back if he accomplished what Beluctan could not. Defeat Sheyua and his followers. Or so the stories say. Mares now leads an army of Eastern Barbarians across Zemlya and now marches on the Fortress of Olimpy to destroy the Great Temple.
Apollus sighed with sadness. Mares had been his greatest companion during their training and Apollus felt partially responsible for his fall. Now he has to defend his home against his former brother and slay him in the process.
“I wish it did not have to be me,” Apollus said. “It couldn’t be anyone else,” Kara replied. “It must be you. The others would strike him down in rage and hatred. You will do it nobly and purely.” Deep down he knew she was right, she always was. His brothers would kill Mares only for revenge. Apollus would do it because it is his duty. No more, no less.
“I must prepare,” Apollus stated. Kara nodded and left his embrace and began the climb back upstairs. Apollus watched her for a little bit before descending to go to the armory. At the end of the curling stairs he entered a hall with two exits to the left and the right. The armory was to the left. He continued down the hall until he reached the fifth door on the right. He opened it and entered the armory.

His armor was located at the end in it’s own personal room. He and he alone had the key. He said a ritualistic prayer before opening the door. As he entered he saw, smelled, and felt every memory of his life that involved this room. Donning his armor for the first time, his first battle, his wedding day, and when he first heard the news of Mares’s fall. He exhaled deeply before disrobing. He began to don his steel armor piece by piece. First his mail undergarments, then his plated leggings, next were his plated greaves around his lower calves and feet, then came his gauntlets and bracers for his hands and arms, then the enormous, heavy plated chestpiece, he then grabbed his helmet but did not put it on.
Apollus turned and exited the room, his footsteps now sounding metallic instead the muffled noise of his casual boots. He walked back down the halls towards the staircase. When he arrived he stopped and took a deep breath, releasing the anxiety building within him. He ascended.
The long climb up would have been harder with armor for a normal soldier but the Light of Sheyua lightened the load. He arrived back at his room and opened the door. Kara was standing in a beautiful rosy red evening dress holding Andus close to her chest. Apollus stopped and he and Kara made eye contact. Her bright blue eyes showed signs of pride, sadness, and affection. Apollus’s anxiety came flooding back in an almost overwhelming rush. It took all his strength to not throw all his armor off and stay with his wife in that moment.
Instead he walked to the bed, set his helmet on it and sat down, head in hands. He felt Kara’s presence next to him even before she put her hand on his silver shoulder pads. He looked at her and she and Andus looked right into his eyes. “You know you have to do this,” she said. Apollus’s gaze shifted to Andus’s green eyes, his eyes. “I know,” he said. “But i won’t do it for the Order. I won’t do it for Olimpy. I won’t do it for all of Zemlya. I won’t even do it for you.” He paused.
“I’m doing it for our son. I’m doing it for his future.”
Kara looked into her husband's eyes and Apollus saw tears welling inside them. “I know,” she said, her voice shaking. “You just promise me you’ll be by our sides to see how it will turn out.”
Apollus looked back to his son. The feeling that rose within him cannot be described. He nodded and rose from the bed. He walked to his wardrobe and opened the door. He reached inside and pulled out his warhammer bestowed upon him by his mentor Tyrius. The hammer had a faint glow to it that signified that it was wielded by a righteous warrior of Sheyua. He looked back at his wife.
Instead of Andus in her hands, who was now lying on the bed, she held his helm. he walked over and kneeled before her as he would have before Tyrius. She placed the helm over his head and said “Rise my silver Paladin.” He did and embraced his wife. He pushed her away a little and kissed her. He stood there for what seemed like an eternity before Kara pulled away sharply. He looked into her eyes. They were wide open in shock. He followed her gaze out the window and his jaw dropped.
Mares had arrived. What Apollus saw was an army that stretched over the horizon with smoke rising behind it. They had burned the farmlands. All Apollus felt now was righteous fury and a desire to avenge the fallen. He stormed out the room and down the winding staircase. He met his second-in-command, Hujos, halfway down. He was out of breath and was clearly disheveled. “Commander!” he said in half surprise. “Mares is at the gates and is asking for you.” Apollus’s heart sank. “He knows I’m here then.” He was about to continue his way down but Hujos interrupted him.
“No sir. He just asked for whoever was in charge.” An idea immediately snuck into Apollus’s head. He started to make his descent again.
“Sir?” Hujos was clearly confused. “What should I tell Mares?”
“Let me deal with him,” Apollus replied. “I have a plan.”

He reached the end and took a right instead of a left this time. At the end of the hall was a massive door that led to the marketplace. He reached it and pushed it open. The sun that normally shone down upon the ground was now blocked by clouds. Apollus did a double-take. They weren’t clouds. It was smoke. It’s smell entered his nostrils and confirmed his thoughts.
This has to end now, Apollus thought. He continued on his way to the gates and stopped in front of them. He turned to the gatekeeper and said, “Open it.” The man looked at Hujos and back to Apollus before turning to take the barricades of the great doors. Apollus shut the visor on his helmet to conceal his face.
The gates began to open and Apollus strode out, warhammer in hand. A man he could only assume to be Mares sat upon a giant black mare. He was clad in armor similar to Apollus’s but instead of silver it was a dark red tinge. The man dismounted as Apollus approached. He didn’t see any weapons on the man or his steed but still Apollus was wary for any deception. They stopped about five yards apart from each other.
They stood there for a moment before the man removed his helmet, revealing him to be the Dark Paladin himself. “I see one of my former brothers has come to greet me,” Mares smiled. “Are you Osmes, Ulas, or even the great Tyrius himself?” Apollus smiled beneath his visor at Mares’s ignorance. “It matters not who I am but what I am,” Apollus replied, his closed helm altering his voice and concealing his identity.
Mares’s smile grew even bigger. “And what are you?” he asked.
“To some just a Paladin,” he replied. “To others a brother. To one a husband and to another a father.” He paused for a moment. “But to you I am Sheyua’s judgment incarnate. I am the one who will bring light to all your transgressions and send you to Oblivion to be punished for eternity.”
Mares’s smile turned to a laugh. “I must say I admire your devotion and bravado but I can’t let you stand in my way.” He looked past Apollus to the Great Temple of Olimpy. “I will enjoy tearing that building down piece by piece and spitting on it’s rubble after I crush your pathetic excuse for a wall,” he looked back to Apollus. “Unless you have an alternative solution.”
“I do,” Apollus replied. “You and I will settle this in a more personal way. One on one combat.”
Mares thought it over. Apollus began to sweat under his armor in his nervousness. Mares’s army would lay waste to Olimpy if he couldn’t convince him to leave it to a duel. Mares looked back at Apollus and said “Very well. I haven’t had a good fight in years. I’ll enjoy presenting your head to the rest of your pathetic Order.”
Mares turned and walked back to his mare and made a signal towards his army. A lone rider came out to respond. He stopped by Mares and turned his horse broadside towards him, revealing a giant greatsword. It was all black and the hilt had Beluctan’s face carved into it. Mares grabbed it and pulled it out of it’s sheath. He turned back to Apollus and pointed the sword at him. “You said you were Sheyua’s judgement,” he smiled again. “ I guess that makes me Beluctan’s wrath.”
He donned his helm and closed it’s visor. He began to walk towards Apollus and Apollus towards Mares. Walk turned to jog. Jog turned to run. Run turned to sprint. Apollus swung his hammer, aiming for Mares’s torso. Mares dodged to the left and swung his sword, attempting to take off his head. Apollus ducked and used the hilt of his hammer to jab Mares in the side. It didn’t do any physical harm but it made him stumble, giving Apollus time to stand.
Mares caught himself and got his balance back. He turned to face Apollus. He lunged with his sword and, at the last second, swung it upward, scratching Apollus’s visor and making him flinch. He retaliated by feinting at Mares’s legs and ramming his shoulder into the Dark Paladin’s chest, knocking him to the ground with a grunt. Apollus swung his hammer down on the defenseless warrior’s chest but Mares rolled to the left and got to his feet.
He swung downwards at Apollus. He moved to his left but Mares’s sword still caught him in the shoulder, penetrating his armor and flesh. Pain flashed across Apollus’s right arm and blood began to seep from the wound. Mares pressed his attack, sensing an advantage. He spun and brought his sword toward Apollus’s chest. Apollus was able to parry with his hammer and returned the blow, catching Mares off guard.
Mares’s chestpiece crumpled like foil as the warhammer crashed into it and he fell flat on his back in the grass, sword flying from his grip. Apollus walked toward his defeated opponent. Mares’s helmet had been flung off as well and his brown eyes stared into Apollus’s visor.
Apollus saw no evil in those eyes, only sadness and grief over his lost family. Apollus sympathized with the man. he suppose he might have done the same if Kara and Andus died and Sheyua’s power could not stop it.
Mares was breathing heavily. He smiled and said “My lungs are crushed and I will soon join my family in the afterlife. I think I deserve to know what face Sheyua’s judgement wear.”
“You deserve nothing traitor. But because we were once brothers and companions, I will grant you your final wish. For times past but not because you deserve to.”
Apollus set his warhammer on the ground and slowly removed his helm. Revealing, at last, his identity to his former brother.
Upon seeing his face Mares smiled and chuckled. “Of all the Paladins who could have finished me I am glad it was you Apollus.” Tears welled in his eyes. “I am sorry that it had to end this way. I wish I could see Andus grow up to be just like his father.” A tear slipped down Mares’s face. “Farewell, brother.”
With that last word Mares’s life faded. Apollus kneeled by his side and sent a prayer to Sheyua to forgive Mares. He closed his former brother’s eyes with a gauntleted hand and bowed his head in grief. “Farewell, brother.”
He turned and saw that Mares’s army had disappeared as if they had never been there. The smoke cleared from the sky and shone down on Olimpy. Rekindling the hopes of the city and Apollus. A great victory had been won but at great cost. For the first time since hearing of Mares’s descent into darkness, Apollus wept.