Of Naughty Horses and Unfortunate Circumstances | Teen Ink

Of Naughty Horses and Unfortunate Circumstances

By WolfGurl PLATINUM, Not A Real Place, Indiana
WolfGurl PLATINUM, Not A Real Place, Indiana

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. –Anatole France.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. –Josh Billings

Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.- George Carlin

A nation that destroys its soils destroys itself. Forests are the lungs of our land, purifying the air and giving fresh strength to our people. —Franklin D. Roosevelt

Never lose. Either win, or learn. - Me

Author's note:

This is somthing I wrote for school. I think it's pretty funny.... so I decided to post it here! 

I wrote this a while ago so the style isn't very impressive or advanced. But I think it's pretty funny! Sooooo.... I hope you enjoy it!

Heidi looked around, enjoying the warm spring day. Surrounding her was a thick, wild forest, and overhead, a canopy shaded her and her horse, Bandit, from the sun. The only sunlight that peeked through the trees into the forest lay in dapples on the ground, lighting up thick underbrush, old rotted logs, and tiny saplings. 

Heidi, short for Heidi Bertha Debra Eliza Seacat III, was a normal-looking sort of teenager. She wasn't especially tall, or for that matter especially short, and her eyes were of the dull gray-blue type. In fact, the only really unique thing about her looks were the golden locks that fell around her shoulders like a cascade of golden water. If it weren't for her hair and her name, you wouldn't look at her twice. She even wore the typical clothes of a casual rider; blue jeans and an old Tshirt. 

Her valiant steed, a random assortment of breeds, copper-colored like a penny, was named Bandit, and the name definitely fit. Usually, he tried everything he possibly could to make her fall off. Secretly, he hoped that a mountain lion or a wolf or a bear would come along and gobble her up. He had wild fantasies of the life he'd have after that; meadows of thick grass and clover, a herd of adoring mares all to himself… .

Heidi seemed unaware of her horseś malicious intentions, as always. While Bandit plotted his dramatic escape, she sat innocently on top of him, happily thinking about her amazing life. Though, in reality, Heidi's life wasn't especially great; it was actually rather normal, but she was a glass-half-full type of person. ¨Bandit, I could ride you for ever,¨ Heidi said in a gay, light-hearted tone. 

¨Not on my watch, you couldn't.” Bandit said darkly. (Though, being a horse, Heidi couldn't understand what he said.) If she'd been paying attention, though, she would have noticed Banditś laid back ears. ¨ It's time for Mission Dump The Owner,” Bandit thought to himself with grim determination.

Heidi closed her eyes blissfully, relaxed. That is, she was until she landed on hard-packed dirt with a thud that jarred her to the bones. With the pounding of four hooves, Bandit was gone, carrying Heidiś water, food, survival kit, and phone with him. Heidi was stranded.

¨Oh, no,¨ Heidi groaned. ¨Now Iḿ in for it.¨ She needed to be home by dark, or she would be grounded until she was 84. ¨Well,¨ Heidi thought to herself, ¨I guess I better start walking.¨”She attempted to stand up, but her left leg gave out, burning with what seemed like fire,  and, with a thump, she fell back to the firm forest floor. She lay on her back, eyes closed. Her palms stung. They were burned when her reins had been ripped from her hands, and now tiny, sharp stones and dirt clung to the sensitive skin. Her head ached keenly from where it´d been bashed ahgaist a rock, and her cheek was sticky to the touch with blood. Funny, the only thing that didn't hurt was her leg. But it must have been injured, because it wouldn't hold weight.

Heidi lifted an arm and groped around, catching a branch above her. She opened her eyes and pulled herself up, balancing precariously on one leg. Using the hand that wasn holding her up, she pulled her jean leg up to her knee and examined her injured leg. It wasn't bleeding anywhere, but, studying it closely and comparing it with her other leg, she came to the unfortunate conclusion that her ankle was sprained. It only hurt when she moved or tried to stand on it. ¨Ïtĺl take me a really long time to get home now, ¨ Heidi thought to herself despairingly. 

Heidi leaned down, almost falling once, and picked up a thick branch. It was smooth and barkless, and the perfect size for a cane. Holding her breath, she tried a step. The fire burned up her ankle again, but now it wasn't as bad as before. 

Heidi sat down on a nearby stone, pondering her predicament. The only way to get home was to walk, and she could barely do that as it was. The sun set in three hours, and it took her one hour to ride home, with Bandit at a fast pace. Usually, she could keep steady at a pace of about half of Banditś, or two hours. But right now, her pace was only half of that, or maybe even less! It might take her four hours to get home, and the forest was dangerous at night. In addition, Heidi didn have a way to call for help, and had no survival equipment, like her hiking knife, or blankets if she had to stay in the forest overnight. ¨Stupid Bandit,” Heidi muttered bitterly. ¨Ẅas I wrong about you!¨

Was she.

Bandit, for his part, was beginning to have second thoughts about his adventure. After all, his life wasn't all that bad. Heidi cared for him well, gave him good food, and he was always bedded down knee-deep in orchard grass hay. But walking alone through this forest, with the owls beginning to peek their heads out of their hollows, went against all of his instincts. 

However, now, in the forest, Bandit could see nothing but trees. It unnerved him, because no matter what fantasies he had, he was a pet. Not a mighty warhorse, ready for battle, or even a thick-muscled cart horse. Nor was he a quick, lithe thoroughbred, a well-trained show jumper, or a finely bred dressage ride. No, he was a spoiled pet with no true purpose. He wasn't even a stallion, but a gelding.

Not knowing the way home, he turned and began to search for Heidi, his master and protector. Perhaps she wasn't that bad after all.

Far away in the park, limping painfully even with her staff, was Heidi. She was smart, and she knew she would never make it home like this, let alone before dark. So now, what she needed to do was find a shelter near a source of water and perhaps even food, such as a berry bush (Heidi had memorized the edible plants found in her area and their poisonous cousins). A cool wind swept around her now, and she shivered. Michagan was cold in the fall, and her jacket was with Bandit. Her head grew fuzzy, and she realized dimly that she was developing a fever. An infection, too, was sure to begin in her festering wounds. ¨I've got to find shelter…¨ The thought pounded through her head. 

THE END.......

I hope you liked it. It's not my BEST work because I wrote it a loooooong time ago. But it makes me smile every time I read it because it's just kind of funny. (Hopefully you agree with that statement!!!!)

Heidi staggered through the forest, twigs and thorns snagging her clothes. The air grew steadily colder, and the sky grew darker. Heidi had found no water, and was parched. The forest grew wilder and she went on, and she was sure that she'd lost the path  -- but it didn't matter. Not much, anyway; she still had her compass. 

Suddenly, Heidi became aware of something very important. Thick black clouds had gathered in the sky, making the forest even darker than it would be normally and casting long shadows that danced with the wind. This meant that a storm was coming. Thunder rumbled; a huge lion in the sky.The revelation was greeted with mixed emotions from Heidi. A storm would be terrible to travel in, but it also meant water. Heidi wobbled precariously from where she was standing, and she reached out with a hand to steady herself. 

Heidi rubbed her eyes and forced herself to focus on her surroundings, even though her head hurt when she did so. A sleepy owl was hooting nearby; probably waking up for his nighttime hunt. Leaves rustled in the canopy with an odd echo, like whispers of the past. Heidi struggled momentarily to clear her head. This reminded her of something. ¨Oh,¨ She thought, stunned, ¨Iḿ standing on stone!¨ Heidi fell to her knees and began to dig. Sure enough, only half a foot of earth covered rough, yellow-gray limestone. ¨YES!¨ Heidi thought triumphantly. So that was what the climb had been about -- she'd been climbing the Lathrop Caverns!

The caverns were the parkś only complete form of shelter, and Heidi had stumbled right across it! Heidi almost fell over with relief. Filled with new energy, she hurried back down the hill. Once she was on level ground again, she limped around the hill, looking for the entry to the cavern. Finally, rounding a corner, she caught sight of the entry tunnel. Heidi hurried over to it, peering anxiously through the canopy at the dark storm clouds growing ever closer.

Heidi ducked into the cave, stunned by the utter silence. She´d grown used to the rustle of leaves and the deep rumble of thunder, and now there was nothing. Heidi collapsed against a naturally formed limestone pillar, suddenly fatigued. Slowly she slid down until she sat on the slightly wet stone floor. In some places, the ground was covered in dirt, and Heidi closed her eyes with a shudder. Guano -- bat feces. Thankfully, Heidi wasn't scared of bats. 

Heidi sighed. Finally, she could rest. The cave was cold and damp, but outside there would soon be rain and cold winds. But even with this knowledge, Heidi despared. How would anyone ever find her? Exhausted, Heidi fell into a restless sleep.

Heidi woke up only a few minutes later, after hearing an eerily familiar noise. Her eyelids fluttered open and she rubbed them, hardly believing her eyes. Inches from her face, Heidi could see a horse muzzle. Bandit smacked his lips nervously. He'd never seen his owner laying on the ground. He scraped a hoof against the rock floor, and Heidi smiled weakly. ¨Hey, boy…”She murmured. ¨Gonna get my some expensive farrier bills? I guess it doesn't matter now, though, as long as I get home.¨

Bandit shook out his coat, flank rippling with relief. Heidi was not dead. In fact, right now, she was stroking his muzzle. The chestnut-bay horse sighed deeply, lips fluttering. He backed off and kneeled down, hind in the air and front lowered. Heidi laughed. ¨I thought you didn't learn that trick!¨ She cried. Heidi pulled herself to her feet, muscles protesting, and stumbled over to Bandit. Wincing, she pulled herself up onto his lowered shoulders. Bandit didn't move until Heidi grabbed a hand of his wiry mane. Then he stood up, carrying Heidi to safety.

This book has 1 comment.

Anno82 GOLD said...
on Jan. 11 at 2:36 pm
Anno82 GOLD, Austin, Texas

“Peace doesn't come from finding a lake with no storms. It comes from having Jesus in the boat." -John Ortberg
"God doesn't break things so He can fix them; He fixes broken things so He can use them." -Bob Goff
"Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?" -Corrie Ten Boom

Awwww, I love it! It's super cute! :D