Lurch. | Teen Ink

Lurch.

By Jillard BRONZE, Eveleth, Minnesota
Jillard BRONZE, Eveleth, Minnesota

"There comes a time in every rightly-constructed boy's life, when he has a raging desire to go and dig for hidden treasure." -Mark Twain.

Author's note: Lamely, the obsessive use of hand sanitizer is the thing that inspired me to write about this topic. We are creating more and more super bugs, bacteria that grows immune to anti-bacterial substances. If this continues, an outbreak like the one in my novel is not too far-fetched.

“It started out as practically nothing...a few cases in some obscure town. And even when it started to spread, to all over the world and everything, I didn't really pay much attention to it; that is, until it happened to me.” -Mel Rydstrum “We can't do this.” Zeke stands rigid, his words faint beneath cigarette smoke. “You know we can't.” I clutch the handle of my suitcase and scowl at the ground. The night air is cold, especially against my back, causing me to shiver. Zeke's too tough to shiver. “Youri?” He wants me to look up, but I refuse. I hold onto the handle tighter in defiance. “Youri.” “I heard you.” His eyes are narrowed, irritated when I finally raise mine. He shakes his head and sighs. “...comes to my house at 3:00 in the morning,” he murmurs to himself, “with a suitcase.” He pauses to laugh. “A f*ing suitcase...” His porch lights shut off and we are immersed in darkness. Darkness and frustration. Zeke doesn't speak at first, but I can tell that he wants to; wants to tell me off and convince me that I'm overreacting. I'm a drama queen, he says. An emotional mess. But I open my mouth before he's able to. “You know he's going to die.” I spit. This takes him back a little, which is a hard thing to do. “Shut up.” The cigarette butt wiggles as he speaks. “Give it a couple weeks. I swear, Ze-” “I said shut it.” And I do, for a minute or two. But I'm compelled to continue. “He's sick.” Zeke doesn't argue. He knows it as much as I do, if not more. He's seen the trembling; the paleness, and the nausea. Mel is an ideal case, fitting into every niche and cliche of the Gastromesis Handbook. But Zeke sets his jaw hard despite that. “I told you not to come around here anymore.” “Because he's sick, right?” Zeke can only stare at me. “It's doesn't matter.” “Bullshit.” Zeke sighs and pinches his temples tight, clutching his eyes in frustration. Stays like that for a while before speaking. “Go home, Youri.” I hate him sometimes; I really do. The way he can remain calm, and take drags of that stupid cigarette of his. “Let me see him.” My voice quivers and I hate it. “He's asleep.” “Wake him up.” He's been living with Zeke for about three months now, kicked out of his parent's house when he started to show signs of having the bacteria. He'd been unfortunate enough be be born to scared, young, high-school kids, with no pressing concern for their son's well being. Two bleach blondes without a clue, stuck with a child who could never measure up to their football-star, popular-and-outgoing, prom-king-and-everything-else-we-want-you-to-be dreams. Now that they're older, and have been blessed with another child, they’ve suddenly transformed into the picture-perfect parents. They never want to make the same mistakes again. Zeke was Mel's go-to guy, and mine too. An adolescent outcast who grew up to be a twenty-three year old outcast; and, not to mention, a busboy at the local Pizza Hut. He was moderately violent and perpetually aggravated, but the guy had strong paternal instincts. He was a stereotypical bully in almost every physical aspect; long, lean, and a tad frightening. But emotionally, he wasn't so bad. Closed off, maybe, and a little short-tempered, but he never dunked a kid's head in a toilet for the pure pleasure of it or anything. He used to hang around the elementary school playground when he was a freshman, and took food from whoever he could intimidate that day. The most available loser, per se; and Mel and I were always the most available losers. We found out something fast though; it wasn't because he was mean, but because he was hungry. Desperate. It became a thing; we'd give him food, and he'd provide protection of sorts. Yeah, Mel and I were both cruising on rock-bottom of the Elementary school food chain, but hell, we had a ninth-grader around. We were unfortunate persons, Mel and I. And Zeke loved nothing more than to look out for his fellow unfortunates. It's a stupid plan. I might be young, and overly-dramatic, but even I can acknowledge that. Deep down, I am fully aware that it is impossible to run from; that the bacteria is everywhere, and even if it's not, will be sometime soon. But it's something. It's not sitting down and just waiting for it to happen. “So what,” I sneer, “we're just going to let him lay there and die, huh?” “Go home.” Zeke's voice is level, calm, which scares me. “Let him choke on his own vomit? Let his digestive system go to s***, and not even try to do anything?” Zeke's done with me at this point. He grabs my shoulders and pulls me in hard, close to his face. The smoke on this breath makes me gag. “I'm not going to say it again, you little s***.” I squirm, trying to break out of his grasp, but it only makes Zeke's hold tighter. “Get out of here. I'm tired, Mel's asleep...and we're not going anywhere.” I glare at him, fuming. He glares right back. “I hate you.” I hiss. “He's dying and you don't even care.” He makes an odd noise, like a whimper, from the back of his throat. Bares his teeth like a chimpanzee and winds up his fist. I don't have time to dodge. You'd think, in the eight years that I've known him, and in all the beatings I have endured in that time—playful ones or not—that I would get used to the pain. It's like a firecracker going off in your face; a spark of anger, followed by a full-out electrical fire. He's tougher than he looks, and he looks pretty damn tough already. “You're killing him!” I scream. But he's walking away. I can tell from his posture, his hunched shoulders, that he's hurt. But I can't stop screaming. “You're killing him! You're killing him you're killing him you're kill-” The door slams shut. I yell a bit more, but soon the porch lights shut off and the coldness starts to get to me. The blood pounds in my head like a drum, a mixture of frustration and possible head trauma. I walk home. But I leave the suitcase.

“It has come to our understanding that a considerable amount of Gastromesis cases have proven to be deadly...(it's a) slow and relatively painful progress.”
-Teresa Williams, Writer for 'Time Magazine'

She's still awake when I get home; clad only in a robe and drowning in the armchair. The dull glare of the television screen reflecting in her eyes.
“Where have you been,” she murmurs, but I know she doesn't really care to know.
“Zeke's.”
She doesn't respond. The news is on, and god forbid she miss any of it.
“He hit me.”

My cheek has been throbbing since I left. It's a dull pain, but escalates to a point where I feel close to fainting when touched. Black dots swirl in front of my face and from beneath closed eyelids.
If she were a normal mom, she'd be...mom-ish. Spring into action.
At least look up.
“Punched me right i-”
“It spread to every country now.” She watches the screen with unhealthy intent, causing shivers to run down my spine. “Can you believe it, Your? It's getting worse everyday...it's everywhere now...”
Her fingers protectively wrap around the remote.
“Mom-”
“No cure, Youri. No cure.” Her voice is calm, but silent sobs begin to rack her body.
Anxiety rises in my throat like bile.
“Mom, go to bed.” I try to keep the panic out of my voice, but I can't help it. It makes me sick; my stomach ache and my heart pound. She should be sleeping. “Please mom-”
“No.” She tightens her grip on the remote. “Look, there's a special announcement coming up. Look, see there? It says so...it says-”
She's crazy, and I know it; of course I do. She has been for the past few months. A tiny, rattled, worried woman. An overprotective single mother.
She can't handle a dish out of place, much less this.
“Don't catch it.” She whispers. “Promise me you won't.”
“I won't mom.”
She reaches for my hand and squeezes it. “Because you're all I got.”
“I know, mom.”
And I do know it. She pulls me to her chest and strokes my hair with trembling hands. They're thin, and cold, and I have to fight the urge to brush them off of me.
It's like hugging a skeleton.

“He's an odd kid; cries too easily. Likes to do math homework and never sleeps. Overprotected and second-guessed, with not enough to do and too damn much to think about. He gets on my nerves...but then again, I suppose everybody does. I hit him too hard last night; God, I know I did. But when he starts, starts going off like that, I can't really help it. I want to throttle him sometimes, I really do. But still. He's only a kid. I grab my jacket and a pack of cigarettes. Check the time: 7:30 in the morning, but I know he'll be up.” -Zeke Petroletti “Why didn't you put some ice on it?” Zeke grabs a handful of snow from a nearby snowbank and presses it against my face, as if it were a hunk of frozen meat. That's the type of guy he was; he would shoot you in the back, but dress your wounds in the same breath. “It wasn't hurting last night.” I lie. “Well, it looks like hell.” It's early. The day is clear, but not in a good way. It's a sharpness that waters your eyes; a cold so clean it burns your nose and scratches at your throat. The snow is bright, but it doesn't sparkle. “People are going to think your old man beats you or something.” Zeke continues. “My dad's dead.” “They don't know that.” He may be frank, but he's usually right. We walk, with no real destination in mind, stopping occasionally for Zeke to fuss over my face. He pries my eye open wide and peers inside. “Looking for blood.” He says. He lets it snap shut and continues walking. “Mel okay today?” Zeke shoots me a look, but nods. Suddenly feels the need to light a cigarette. “Can I see him?” “Nope.” He puts an arm around my shoulders and roughly forces me close. “Ask again, and I'll kick your ass.” It occurs to me then that I haven't seen Mel in over a week, and a surge of melancholia runs through me like adrenaline. I think Zeke notices. “Listen,” he starts, but already I don't want to hear what he has to say. “Youri, are you listening?” “Yes.” I mutter. “You better be, because I swear kid, if you show up at my doorstep with another half-assed scheme-” “I won't.” He raises an eyebrow. “You sure about that?” His fingernails dig into my flesh. “Because sometimes I don't think you get it. I think you're going to do whatever the hell you want, no matter what I say.” I bite my cheek and frown. “You have to stay away, Your.” Zeke stops walking. He grabs me by the shoulders and I wriggle, irritated. “F off.” I mumble. I flinch, waiting for the blow, but it doesn't come. I cautiously open an eye and see Zeke shaking his head. “It's all for you, you know...and your mom.” He throws the cigarette on the ground and snuffs it out with his sneaker. “I'm not just being an asshole...” The last time I saw Mel, he was doubled over the toilet. Arms wrapped so tightly around his midsection, I was afraid his veins would burst. His eyes clouded beneath thick glasses. What if he's dead, dead and Zeke won't tell me? He's probably afraid I'd have a mental breakdown or something...after all, I am 'just a kid'. Would I be invited to the funeral? Would he at least give me that? “He's still alive though.” I need to hear it, for sanity's sake. I need the words to block out the uncertainty. “Right, Zeke?” I try to imagine Mel, in a tux and with his hair combed nice. I bet he would be shy with all of those people looking at him like that. “Of course.” Zeke rubs at his nose, glaring at the dirty snow beneath his feet. “Don't be an idiot.” The way he says it makes it seem preposterous; like I should be ashamed for even asking such a thing. And momentarily, I feel okay.

Take Care

“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds...”
-United States Postal Service Creed
“..unless Zeke tells them not to.”
-Addition courtesy of Youri Lovick

We were like the Three Musketeers, you know? Except worse; minus the swords and the matching uniforms. Take out the heroic bit too, and the popularity factor while you're at it. Add some snide insults from fellow students and declining self-esteem, and there you have it; Zeke, Mel, and I. Three losers.
Three failures.
Zero girlfriends.

And then Zeke graduated, and it was only the two of us—and, unfortunately, there's no clever simile for that. We used to eat lunch in the science wing because the amount of people in the lunch room made Mel nervous; I'd have to wait with him until the halls cleared between classes, because god knows the boy would never push his way through a crowd. And when he got nominated for Homecoming prince during his junior year as a joke, it was me that had to sit with him as he trembled in the first-floor bathroom during the pep rally. It was funny to some; a scrawny freshman, taking care of his 6',5'' friend as if he were his seeing-eye dog.
You can laugh if you want; hell, maybe it is funny.
But I can't see it.

“Where are your friends?”
She's looking at me, which startles me a little, considering she hasn't looked up from the television screen for a couple hours now. I've been sitting next to her all day, occupying my swirling thoughts by pretending to be a real family. Which, I know, sounds exceedingly melodramatic and chock-full of self despair, but hey—that is my specialty, after all.
“I don't know.” I answer numbly.
“You know, that...that dark-haired one. And that other one...with the glasses.” She has a delusional frown plastered onto her face, musing over faces and lost names.
“I don't know, mom.”
This seems to trouble her a little. Her frown deepens, the creases around her eyes doing to same. Should I tell her? Humor her with information she will no doubt forget?
But soon the music changes; the commercials are over, and her attention is focused elsewhere.

Mel would always return the favor. With every awkward moment I helped him avoid, you can be sure that multiple of my notorious emotional meltdowns were deflected. Every social situation averted was matched with a yoga-breathing technique; every snicker compatible with a cognitive behavioral exercise.

In short, it took a lot to be our friends.
“Invite them over one day.” she looks at me and smiles cavernously.“You seem lonely.”

Jillard BRONZE said...
Jillard BRONZE, Eveleth, Minnesota

Mess-up :/ Sorry!

UmmmmTypo? said...
Chapter one and three aren't paragraph form. Was this style, swag, or just a mess-up??????