Doctor | Teen Ink

Doctor

November 8, 2018
By bumgoat, San Jose, California
More by this author
bumgoat, San Jose, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

Inspired by F. Scott Fitzgerald's book, The Great Gatsby.

The drive over to the valley of ashes surprised me. Ten years later and that same pair of eyes that belonged to Doctor T.J. Eckleburg are still there, watching and frowning over us. The billboard seemed to be untouched by the dust since I’ve last seen it. The vibrant color of his glasses and eyes were the first thing to be seen when driving to The Valley of Ashes.

“When do you think that billboard will be taken down?” I turned and asked Jordan.

“I’m not sure.” she said confused, “Where do you think this guy went?”

“Maybe he lost business and just up and left one day.”

“Perhaps.”

“Well, why don’t we go ask Mr. Wilson, maybe he knows something about this guy?”

I drove a bit further until we reached Mr.Wilson’s garage and then pulled in. He seemed more alive than ever, since the death of his wife, Myrtle, he has received some business and has been going out partying with some beautiful women.

“Mr. Wilson, do you happen to know anything about this oculist, Doctor T.J. Eckleburg?” I asked.

“Yes, I do know a bit about Doctor Eckleburg. What would you like to know about him?” asked Mr. Wilson. Just then I saw a man walk in and seemed to be waiting to speak with Mr. Wilson, I tried to hurry the conversation so he can talk with Mr. Wilson.

“Well, where is he? Why did he leave, and why is his billboard still up?” I asked him hurriedly.

“Doctor Eckleburg is said to be dead, but who knows for sure. The man used this business as a front for money laundering, he wasn’t even a doctor!”

“Woah, so he must’ve left in a hurry. That explains the billboard,  huh?” I was shocked to hear this because all this time I had believed that he was a Doctor who went out of business.

Just then Jordan grabbed me by the arm and said, “What a shame, these people here could really use some glasses, given that the whole city is filled with clouds of dust!”

“Yes, well you ought to ask someone in the money laundering business about the man.” I thought about who to ask for a moment, then it came to me: Gatsby. I remembered the time at the Plaza Hotel with Tom, Daisy, Gatsby, and Jordan. Tom had confronted Gatsby about his business with a chain of drug stores which contributed to his fortune. He must know something about this man, Doctor T.J. Eckleburg, even if it’s something as small as his first name. We said our farewells and took off in a rush to Gatsby’s house. Jordan was filled with excitement and that bright smile of hers shone through. Her smile resembled the sun and was probably the only glimpse people who lived here could get of the sun through the dust.

“Hello, old sport! I heard that you were looking for a man named Doctor T.J. Eckleburg, yes?”

I was in complete shock. How could Gatsby possibly know I was looking for him? Who told him I had asked about Doctor Eckleburg?

“Hello Gatsby, why yes I was asking about him because it seems peculiar to just up and leave from The Valley of Ashes and to leave a great, big billboard with those eyes on it!”

He paced around a bit and then told us to come into his house. He shut the door behind us and offered a cigarette.

“Look here old sport, I will tell you about my days as Doctor T.J. Eckleburg, but not a word of this is said to anyone...🝔

 

Credit: A work of fan fiction inspired by Doctor T.J. Eckleburg in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.