(FNAF fan-fiction) An alternative origin of the animatronics | Teen Ink

(FNAF fan-fiction) An alternative origin of the animatronics

By doe69482, Orient, Ohio
doe69482, Orient, Ohio

INTRODUCTION:
This story is a Sci-Fi style writing involving vintage electronics, and AI (of course). Please note that this is a FNAF fan-fiction, it will be in the first-person perspective of discovering historic documentation. Any real model of equipment, standard, or umbrella name for a technology will start with a "[", and end with a "]"; an example of this is [Atari 800XL]. Any authors notes will start with a "(", and end with a ")"; an example of this would be (the [Atari 800XL] home computer was part of the Atari 8 bit series of home computers).

SPECIAL THANKS:
The author of this story would, at first would like to thank you for reading this. Special thanks goes to my English teacher (who will not have their name released), Scott Cawthon, the authors of the word processor; "The Last Word", and the designers of the Atari 8 bit series. And to anyone who contributes or contributed to open source software or open source anything, thank you for all of your contributions, no matter how big or small.

Fairly recently, you were informed that one of your family members has died. Also you had just read the will of the family member, and it stated that, "Everything on my property should be preserved to the best of the recipient's ability". You found it to be quite strange for that to be in the will. With this death of the family member, you were not shaken that much due to the fact that you did not know him at all. And sadly enough, this was the only house that you could afford to rent.

In the house you saw nothing out of the ordinary, but the house seemed to be quite old. This house seemed to have a kitchen that seemed to be from the 1950's-1960's. It was an almost fully equipped kitchen with a toaster, an oven with an integrated stove, and a radio. The only odd thing was that the kitchen did not have a microwave.
Due to your recent graduation from High School, this was the only place that your family would let you rent. You ended up working at McDonald's as a "temporary" job while you ended up doing online school to have the required education for your dream job. You also eventually managed to buy the house at at relatively low coast, and managed to live on your own.
The living room was in a similar theme to the kitchen, but it was a room that ended up enjoying the most. In this room was one of those new [4K] televisions, and it was hooked up to an old sound system, but it sounded very good. Along with a couch, this room had a small study area. You used this small study area to your school work. Plus you would use the sound system to listen to music to make your work much more tolerable.
When you moved in, one of the first things that you did was replace some of the furniture in the master bedroom. You naturally got a new bed. The bed that you got was surprisingly comfortable, considering how cheap it was. You moved all of stuff that you replaced into the guest room, or what was in improvised "guest room".
In the master bedroom there was a dresser that you also used as a bedside table, and that was the place where you put your alarm clock. You also used this spot to charge your phone. There was also a table that was in front of the bed, and on the table there was a television. The television was a fat [CRT TV] with a 13 (measured diagonally) inch rectangular screen. Surprisingly it produced a half-decent picture. The picture was bright, sharp, and had realistic vibrant colors. You would watch this television when you could not fall asleep, and you would have childhood nostalgia by watching TV shows that you watched as a kid.

CHAPTER 2:
After work one day, curiosity got the better of you. So you decided to explore the place, wondering if there were interesting secrets the place hid.
At first you decided to explore the attic, as that was the easiest place to get to. In the attic, you found some dust bunnies, and almost nothing. But something was quite strange about the attic, it had a floor board, this allowed you to have a lot of mobility. The only thing of interest you found was a sealed box that had a plaque on it that read, "Experiments with machines that emulate humans, documentation, and footage from the years of 1961 - 1985". Due to this label, you picked this box up, and put this box on the kitchen table.
When you opened the box there were a lot of [VHS] tapes. You did not disturb the content of this box, due to your inability to pay these tapes, mostly due to the fact that you did not have a machine to play those tapes back. When these tapes were taken to a local archivist, it seemed to peak their interest. -- You knew this archivist to be the a family member of one of your High School friends. -- This archivist said to you in a tone that seemed to indicate that you had something that was twice the value of its weight in gold, "These recordings are one of a kind. It's not the medium itself that's valuable, its what is recorded onto them. I, myself worked on that project, and this holds some personal value to me. I would be more than willing to buy these off of you". And you sold these tapes because you wanted the money to buy a brand new computer to make school work a little easier to do, mostly due your old one being miserably out of date.
With the money you got, you bought a computer with two of the highest-end video gaming monitors, and the best hardware that could be bought at the time. This machine ran incredibly fast. It really could do about anything that you threw at it well.
In a few weeks time, that archivist called to tell you that they were done archiving all of the old tapes, and films. During this call, the archivist informed you that they would give you the archived versions of the recordings. When you came to the archivist "shop", it was a room that was full of what you assumed to be old video machinery, they handed you a small device. This device had the standard sockets that would connect to an [RCA composite] video cable, and an [HDMI] connector. The archivist said that video archived from the videotapes were best viewed on an old [CRT TV], and that videos archived from film should be viewed on the [4K] television over [HDMI].

The person who achieved what was in the box gave your a short lecture about the different mediums. The archivist stated that they only wanted you to know about the different formats in more detail, so that you would understand what each format was for. They talked to you about about the different formats used which were [standard-8 film], [Sony CV-2000], and [Betamax]. (The last two were tape based.) The archivist also told you that the people at the project rarely took pictures, and that the archivist had those, but did not put those on the device. The archivist stated that the pictures contained confidential information. They also stated that the tape based formats were best viewed on the [CRT] in your room, and the film was best viewed on the [4K] monitor. But the archivist also stated that the films were digitized to such a resolution that the [4K] TV couldn't display it in full detail. You thought nothing about the statement that something could have such high detail. They also told you that it was a good idea to view the films first. They also put on the device a playlist of sorts that had everything in chronological order.

When you went home, you plugged the curiosity into the [4K] TV. The device booted up almost instantly, so fast that the main menu was open as soon as the TV displayed the signal. It only had two entries, one for the [4K] TV, and another one for the [CRT]. You selected the one to be viewed in [4K].
Most of the films were cheesy advertisements at the time. These were used internally to get the staff excited about was new at the time technology called [integrated circuits]. There were notes before each recording that you could view. But then these cheesy advertisements just seemed to get quite strange. Most of these advertisement were from the late 1950's and the early 1960's.
The advertisements that were strange were filmed and edited at New Years eve, 1959. These strange advertisements were mixed in with the normal advertising, these advertisements pushed the theory that it was possible with [integrated circus] to emulate the [human brain]. (TO BE NOTED: there are as of 2019 neuromorphic processors that act similarity to a [brain], now back to fiction.) In the notes, the archivist wrote that these advertisements got the developing team together to make what was in the advisement a reality.
In the year of 1961, films were starting to be made for project documentation. You knew this, mostly due to it being stated in the notes.
In this series of films they managed to make a new [brain] for a [bear]. This was chosen due to the level of intellect reported with these animals. It was unfortunate that this [bear] was [brain dead], it may also be referred to as [brain death]. It seemed as if they might be able to create an artificial brain for the [bear]. Off camera they replaced the [brain] with the new artificial one.
The [bear] on film ended up becoming as smart as the others of its species, but soon started to outsmart [humans]. In two months, from studying other [bear] behavior, it learned all of the necessary survival skills. But once the artificial brain was six months old, it was outsmarting [bears], and [humans] alike. Buy this intellect, the [bear] outsmarted all of the [humans] trying to harass the [bear]. At the end of this series, the documentation stopped with the [bear], and moved onto something else.
In 1962, this group started to study all of the parts of the [human brain] that give [humans] [rational thinking], and [logical thinking]. The researchers had the knowledge for primitive logic, and for complex [psychology]. Once they were done with their research, they managed to get an [integrated circuit] designed that would emulate the [human brain]. But they ended up making the design have a strange twist, it could be smarter than anticipated. The group knew this, and they were not afraid of its capabilities. But this time instead of being a normal [integrated circuit], they gave it the ability to grow in complexity, even if that meant that the chip by itself would grow.
It was soon realized that there also was a group that worked on making [artificial lifeforms]. All that group needed was a brain.
In 1963, these groups merged to make a machine with parts of it strewn on the top of a desk. The notes indicated that this machine did not use electric. It had a [stomach], [lungs], and a [vocal tract] that emulated one from a [human male]. This machine had to be fed by hand, due to its inability to move. They gave this machine a connection the company [mainframe computer]. Also this machine could only hear, and not see or feel the outside world. There were films that were status updates to see how it was functioning. Buy about six months it learned how to remotely maintain the [mainframe computer], and advocate for itself using words. It at first communicated by making different sounds for different wants, and needs. But it had a data bank connected to its artificial brain, not in its artificial brain, with files on how to communicate with humans by text, and how to interface with the [mainframe computer] to get maintenance tasks done. This device basically told the machine what to do, and how it get those tasks done. The documents stated that the machine did its job incredibly well. The machine only needed humans to intervene with hardware problems, and other tasks that required physical access.
In April of 1965, the project got a small for the time TV camera, and a [Sony CV-2000] to record the video from the camera. When this new format of documentation was being accessed, the device stated that you had watched all of the documents on film. So you hooked the device to your [CRT TV] over [composite video]. This time you got to see the device boot up. There was on the TV a loading screen. The screen had what you judged to be in the center text the said, "Loading....". This screen only lasted for 1/60th of a second, and was vertically shifted up. When it got to the menu, the picture was settled into position, the menu ended up being perfectly centered on the screen. The option for the video tape footage was automatically selected. So out of instinct, you pressed play.
The first recording was of the costume that was to be used with one of the machines. The costume itself was an artificial life form that could self regenerate. Also you noticed that the recordings on the [Sony CV-2000] were all black and white, the films used to be in color. What you then noticed was the this costume looked startlingly similar to a [human] wearing a costume. This costume was fairly similar to the character "Freddy" from "FNAF". The costume had teeth in a startlingly similar layout to teeth in a [human mouth]. Plus this costume had special [vidicon] tubes that could of course regenerate. A vidicon tube is a device was used to sense light that a [camera] was exposed to be converted into a video signal. The eyes were very human-like, these eyes had an eye color, and what looked like to be pupils. These pupils would change in size as the camera's [iris] changed exposure settings. There were a total of four tubes per eye, one to sense black and white, and three to sense [RGB color].
The machine was given this costume for its "birthday". When the machine got this costume, it got the pronoun "he", most due to it [human male] like [vocal tract]. "He" still had a sense of hearing that far surpassed the [human ear]. "He" could hear up to 48KHz, while the [human ear] can hear up to 20KHz. "He" quickly learned how to walk, and eventually learned how to have conversations with [humans]. When "he" could walk "he" ended up exploring the building. But what the humans, and "he" did not realize was that "he" was starting to develop a sense of smell.
One of the funniest tapes was when "he" discovered how to smell. One day there was a food delivery for a staff lunch. Of course there were some unhealthy foods with stupid amount of sugar in them, these sugary food items were [cupcakes]. When the smell drifted into the computer room, there was a computer room due [mainframes] taking up a lot of space, on tape "he" said with a puzzled expression:"I think I smell something......sweet...yes, that's the word, sweet!". The [human] in the room said:"When you do that, you look like a dog sniffing something! Even your nose twitches!". The machine and the [human] were the only sentient things in the room. The [human] said something to the effect that they were running out of tape, and the recording turned into just static.
The next recording was of the machine eating a small amount of food at the company lunch. "He" only had a small 1/8 portion of a [cupcake], and some meat. "He" stated that these food items met beyond his dietary requirements. At this point almost all of the staff were giving him these looks of complete confusion as "he" preceded to eat "his" food. The funniest part was how everyone that was not part of the projects of [integrated circuit] brain equivalents, and [artificial lifeforms] all said in overlapping unison different phrases stating confusion.

ALL FOR NOW:
I'm sorry to leave you hanging like this, but this is about all I can write in a reasonable time frame. This is about a week's work. I really thought I could write much faster, but here we are.
The reason for doing this is to submit this to Teen Ink in time for a project. As usual for me, I waited until the last week in this case. I will hopefully upload a "part two" as soon as possible.

SOFTWARE USED:
-LibreOffice
-Linux
-Chromium (open source Chrome)
-The Last Word

HARDWARE USED:
-A standard PC
-An Atari 800XL (to run "The Last Word")