Becoming Whole | Teen Ink

Becoming Whole

December 28, 2022
By BarnesandLaufeyson BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
More by this author
BarnesandLaufeyson BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Before we start. Here is some information about the characters:


Azriel Rogers, 19, born Oct 30, 2002, twin brother Elijah, Genderfluid, Bisexual, Adopted, Isabella and Klaus adopted parents, Steve Rogers James Barnes and Natasha Romanoff, Biological parents.They/Them/Theirs/She/Her/hers/He/Him/His


Elijah Rogers, 19, Born Oct 30, 2002, Twin sibling Azriel, Transgender, Aromantic and Asexual, Adopted, Isabella and Klaus adopted parents, Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff Biological parents.He/Him/His


Steve Rogers, 39, born July 4, 1983, Twin kids Azriel and Elijah, Bisexual, Orphan, Natasha Romanoff and James Buchanan Barnes Wife and Husband.He/Him/His


Natasha Romanoff, 38, born Mar 24, 1984, Twin kids Azriel and Elijah, Pansexual, Steve Rogers, and James Buchanan Barnes husbands.She/Her/Hers


James Barnes, 40, born Mar 10, 1982, Twin kids Azriel and Elijah, Bisexual, Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff husband and wife, Pronouns He/Him/His


Kate Bishop, 20, born May 7, 2002, an only child, Bisexual, Archer, Azriel’s  Ex-Girlfriend, She/Her/Hers


Liam Osborn, 19, Dec 17, 2002, youngest child, Bisexual, Genderfluid, Azriel’s potential love interest, He/Him/His/They/Them/Theirs


Takes place in New York, Compound, First House


(Trigger warning: Transphobia, Violence, Abuse (mental, verbal).

Azriel came home to things quieter than usual, “Mom, Dad?” They called out getting no response. They take off their backpack and head upstairs, once they reach the top step they know something is wrong. They run to their room and find it trashed with their mom sitting on the bed with something in her hand. When they realize what it is, they try to snatch it from her, and she moves away.

“What is this? Why do you have this?” Their mother (Isabella) asks, holding up their journal. “My therapist gave it to me. He said to write what I’m feeling in it.” Azriel replies. “Why are you writing such things? You know what I do to keep you here. You are not a boy, you are a girl. You don’t wear suits, you wear dresses and skirts and makeup.” Isabella says as she rips up the journal. Azriel sits there holding in their tears as Isabella walks out of the room. Once they hear the front door shut, Azriel lets out a gut-wrenching scream and feels an outburst of energy. They pass out on the floor crying.

Azriel wakes up to their brother's worried face in front of them. “I was so scared. Are you ok? I came home and you were on the floor and mom and dad were gone.” Azriel sits up and hugs Elijah, “She destroyed my journal”. She said that I wasn’t genderfluid, why doesn’t she understand?” They cry into Elijah's shoulder. Elijah, unknown to Azriel, has the plan to put an end to their parents' abuse. “Hey, don’t worry, you won’t have to feel this way for much longer.” Elijah says getting a confused look from Azriel. “Ok, I guess I believe you.” Azriel says as they lay their head on Elijah's chest. Almost immediately they fall asleep. Elijah kisses their forehead before leaving the room.

Azriel wakes up for school the next morning with a new burst of energy. They get ready for school and head downstairs where their parents and brother sit at the dining table. Azriel walks over to their parents and gives each of them a kiss on the cheek. They walk over to Elijah and kiss him too. Elijah gives them a hug and whispers, “That energy will make sense soon, when you figure it out come to me, and I’ll tell you everything.” Azriel pulled away but brushed it off. As Azriel and Elijah walk out of the house, they see some people fighting someone. Azriel begins to feel drawn towards the fight and finds themself running to the fight, out of instinct, Azriel throws their hand out in front of them and a blast of fire comes out of it hitting the aliens. 

Once the aliens are gone, Azriel runs around frantically looking for Elijah calling his name, they find him under a pile of rubble and without even thinking about it, lift the rubble off of him, “Elijah, are you ok?” They ask when they see a puddle of blood getting larger underneath him, “NO, Elijah you can’t leave me! I need you.” They cry out as Elijah cups their face in his hands, “ I’m sorry, I have to. I want you to go to the compound and ask for Steve Rogers, tell him that you are his kid, tell him ‘I’m with you till the end of the line.’ He’ll know what it means. I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you when you needed me, you were with me throughout my whole transition and I couldn’t even be here for you. I am so sorry.” He trails off as he takes his last breath. Azriel lets out a scream and the avengers run over to where they are looking worried.

Azriel lays next to Elijah’s body and cries until the avengers drag them away from him. 

“Steve, which one of you is Steve?” Azriel says wanting to honor their brother's wishes. Captain America raises his hand and Azriel hugs him, “H-h-he t-told me to t-t-tell you “I-I-I’m with you till the end of the line.” As soon as they tell him that, Steve hugs them back, “Oh, kid, is it you?” Steve asks on the verge of tears, he starts crying when Azriel nods their head. Black widow walks over to them and starts crying as soon as she sees Azriels’ face, “Azzy, is that you?” She asks and Azriel starts crying more as they remember the old nickname she had for them, “ Мама?” Nat hugs them and starts crying harder. They go back to the compound, Steve and Nat not wanting to let Azriel go. 

“Папа?” Azriel says when they see Bucky. Bucky runs up to them and hugs them tight. 

Once everyone has calmed down, Nat, Steve, and Bucky explain who Azriel is.

 

Azriel explained to everyone what their pronouns were and everyone quickly understood. All of the team agree and Tony has Kate show them around. 

When Kate shows them their room, Azriel pushes her against the wall, “So, when are you going to stop pretending you don’t know me дорогой

?” Kate blushes, “What did you want me to say? Hey Super soldiers and Russian spy I’ve been seeing your kid? You know good and god damn well why I didn’t tell them  I knew you.” Azriel looks at her for a second before peppering her with kisses.

 They kiss for a few minutes before Steve comes upstairs to tell them the food is ready. As soon as he walks in they stop kissing and Steve walks out of the room giggling. “Sh*t.” Azriel says as they run downstairs to stop Steve from telling everyone, as they run down they hear, “Hey, Clint, guess what I just saw. Our kids were just making out.” As he finishes his sentence, Azriel runs down at lightning speed and tackles him, “Really, dad? You haven’t even been around me for a few hours and you’re already snitching.” Steve starts to struggle under them so they get off him and stand up, on their way out they kick Thor's hammer and cry out, “Thor I swear to the gods, if you don’t get your stupid f*cking hammer off of the floor I will throw it at you.” They say as they pick it up and hand it to him. Everyone looks at them in shock. “What, do I have something on my face?”

Azriel asks before sitting on the couch, “I wanna have a movie night. So sit your *sses down and watch a movie.” Everyone sits down on the couch around Azriel and starts the movie. 

Halfway through the movie, Azriel ends up falling asleep on Bucky’s lap. Steve and Nat silently cry to themselves at the realization of their child are finally home with them.

Azriel wakes up with arms around their waist. They jump with a start and fall out of bed. As they turn around, they see Kate laying in the bed rubbing her eyes, “Baby? What’s wrong?” Kate asks as Azriel gets back into bed, “Nothing, I just got a little scared.” They say as they smell bacon and eggs in the air. They jump out of the bed and run towards the smell, as they get to the kitchen, they see someone they haven’t seen before. “W-who are you?” They ask as they back away scared, the person starts to slowly walk towards them until their back hits the cold wall. “That is none of your concern, young one.” The mystery person says as they go back to cooking, “But, since you seem so scared. I will tell you. My name is Liam Osborn. I am Thor's sibling.” Azriel looks at them confused before sitting down, “I hope that isn’t all for you. That’s a lot of food.” they say as Liam plates the food. Liam chuckles and shakes their head, “no, that would be rude of me. I wanted to make breakfast for everyone.” Azriel nods and takes a plate of food down to the training room. “If you need anything, I’ll be in the training room.” They say as they walk off.


While in the training room, Azriel thinks about Elijah and how he must have felt when he lay there dying. Azriel slowly starts punching the punching bag harder as she thinks about Elijah and how he could have saved him. Unknown to Azriel, Him being too caught up in getting his anger out, Steve was calling out to him worried. Azriel starts to feel blood on his hands, the thick warm liquid trickling down his fingers but he doesn't stop, Azriel starts to feel the sand inside of the punching bag as he punches it off of the hook, sending sand everywhere. Azriel lets out a scream that causes Steve to be launched back. Azriel turned around and saw Steve on the floor. “Dad, I am so sorry, I didn’t mean to.” Azriel says running over to him, “It’s ok, kid, what were you thinking about?” Azriel put her head down before answering, “I was thinking about Elijah, we went through a lot together and now he’s gone.” She says as a stray tear makes its way down her face. Before Steve could reply, Azriel's phone started to ring, “Is it ok if I take this?” They ask and Steve nods his head.

Azriel walks out of the room and answers the phone.

{Phone call:

(Azriel is A, Isabella is I)

A: hello?

I: WHERE ARE YOU?

A: Mom, please calm down-

I: CALM DOWN?
I: YOU AND YOUR IDIOT OF A BROTHER SKIPPED SCHOOL YESTERDAY AND YOU WANT ME TO CALM DOWN!!!

A: Mama, I get that you are angry but I need you to listen to me.

I: NO, YOU AND YOUR BROTHER NEED TO GET HOME RIGHT NOW!!
A: Ok mom, I’ll see you in a bit.

End of phone call}

As Azriel walks out of the room, they wipe their tears and walk downstairs to the others. 

“Azzy, are you ok?” Steve asks, seeing something wrong. “Um, Isabella just called me, she wants me and Elijah to come home. I didn’t know how to tell her so now I have to leave.” Azriel says as she drops to her knees. Everyone rushes toward him and Liam gets to him first.

Liam sees that he is having a panic attack and takes him into another room, “Hey, love, I need you to breathe for me. I need you to count five things you hear” Liam says as they pull him into their chest, “Your heartbeat, the rain hitting the window, my mom’s voice, my dad’s heartbeat, Papa’s voice.” Liam looks at them confused as to how she could hear that but continued, “ok, good, now four things you can feel.” Azriel thinks before answering, “Your shirt, your breath on my neck, the cold floor, and my nails digging into my hand.”  Liam looks at them and uncurls their fingers carefully. Liam kisses them to take their mind off of everything, When they pull away, Liam continues smiling, “Now, three things you can taste.”

Once Azriel had calmed down all the way, Liam started talking again, “the reason I kissed you was that I read somewhere that when you hold your breath it could stop a panic attack, so when I kissed you, you held your breath.” They explain, Azriel nods her head and sits back, “I would say that it was wrong of you to kiss me because I have a girlfriend but she cheated on me.” Azriel turns toward Liam and starts crying again. “Hey, it’s ok. You’re gonna be fine. It’s not your fault.” Azriel nods his head before speaking again, “It’s not even that, she told me she loved me and I knew she was cheating on me but I didn’t say anything.”  Liam comforts them.

Azriel walks back into the main room to find Kate sitting with the same person she cheated on him with, Peter. Azriel walks over to them and tries to kiss Kate but she swerves, leaving Azriel annoyed. Azriel tries to kiss her again and again; she swerves, causing Azriel's blood to almost boil. Azriel stands up and leaves the common room to calm down. Azriel hears a knock on the front door and goes to check it. Azriel is met with an angry Isabella in front of them. "Mom, what are you doing here?" Azriel asks as Isabella storms past them. "Find my phone. What are you doing here? Where is your brother?" As Isabella walked into the common room everyone got into a defensive stance, "Woah, everyone put the weapons down, Papa did you pull that gun out of your *ss? Sit down." Azriel says. Isabella looks at everyone suspiciously, "Who are all of you, and why are you all hanging around my daughter?" Tony looked at Azriel with confusion written across his face. "Azzy, who is this woman? Why is she in my house?" He asks and everyone looks at Azriel for an explanation, reluctantly, Azriel explains to everyone who Isabella is and why she is there. "Now, where is my son? And why are you hanging out with a bunch of adults? I should have you all arrested for kidnapping." This time, Steve speaks up and corrects Isabella, spite written all over his face. "They are not your children Azriel is my child, they are my kids, and if anything I could have you arrested for kidnapping. You kidnapped my children, took them to hydra, experimented on them, and made me, my husband, and my wife think that they were dead. We trusted you to watch them while we were at work and you stole them from their cribs while we were gone. Yes, I recognize you, I recognized you as soon as you walked through the door. I have every right to kill you right now." Everyone looked at Steve in shock while Azriel had tears in his eyes, "is that true? Did you kidnap me and Elijah?" They ask, rage bubbling up inside of them, the anger from the interaction with Kate also rising to the surface as their eyes and hands start to glow purple and green. Liam runs over to them and takes his face in their hands, "hey, love. Focus on me, don't worry about her. Feel my hands on your skin, my breath on your nose, my eyes on yours, feel the way your heart beats faster with the butterflies in your stomach. Focus on this." They say as they kiss her. Azriel slowly calms down and kisses them back. After a while, they back away from each other and turn to the others. "You need to leave, now." Azriel says to Isabella as he glares daggers at her. Isabella slowly backs out of the common room before dashing out of the compound.

Everyone looks at Azriel and Liam in shock before Kate erupts in fury, "Why the f*ck did you just kiss my girlfriend? What is wrong with you?" Azriel stares at her before turning to Peter and almost laughs at his face, red with anger, "You didn't know we were dating did you?" He asks Peter to which he shakes his head. Azriel erupts in laughter, a shaking

Damn use feeling in their chest, and then goes straight-faced. "How long have you two been dating?" Azriel asks him. "Three years. How long have you been dating?" Azriel answers very straightforwardly, "seven months. I'm sorry she's been lying to you. Anyway, Kate, we're over. I should have known something was up when you didn't want to tell people we were dating." Azriel says as he walks out of the room with Liam.

Azriel sits on their bed with Liam and starts crying. Liam tries his best to comfort her but it doesn't work. Azriel asks Liam if he would be their boyfriend and they said yes. Azriel asked him what movie he wanted to watch but before Liam could say anything, they heard a crash come from outside. They both run outside with the others and see someone standing in the front yard with fire behind them. Azriel is the first to realize who it is and falls to their knees in the warm grass. Liam, worried about him, asks if he is ok. Azriel shakes her head and whispers in his ear, "It's Elijah. I thought he was dead." 

Liam looks from Azriel to Elijah and immediately runs over to steve. "It's Elijah. He's not gonna be able to fight him. We need to get them out of here." Liam says running back to Azriel picking her up and kissing her. "You've got this love. Don't think about it, just talk to him." Azriel gets up and walks over to Elijah, feeling their heart drop lower into their stomach as they inch closer to him. When they finally reach him, Elijah looks almost lost as he stares at her. “Hey Elijah, what’s going on? I thought you were dead.” Elijah's facial expression changes from confused to angry, “That was the only thing I could do to get you out of my way. All you have ever done is act like you were the only person who existed. I always wanted to come to you with my problems but whenever I did, it became a therapy session for you. You didn’t even think to ask me how I felt while I was transitioning. I was in pain, hating my body, and the one time you did listen was great sure. But you never even checked in on me to see how I was doing. You were always too busy.”

Azriel stares at him before getting angry, “You think I didn’t listen to you? Who was it that bought you the testosterone in the first place? Who sat with you and made you feel better about yourself when you were dealing with body dysmorphia? Who paid for your surgery? Who sat with you in that hospital bed when you almost killed yourself wearing the very unsafe binder for too long? Who fought for you when people at school treated you differently? Who taught you how to shave, drive, or do any of the sh*t you do now? ME!! I did it all, I didn’t ask you for anything because I am your older sibling, I’m supposed to look after you. I didn’t ask you to listen to me.” Azriel gets angrier, their powers flaring up as they stare at Elijah with burning eyes. 


Azriel and Elijah fight for a while before Azriel wins, leaving Elijah bloodied and bruised. “All I ever wanted was for you to be yourself. I guess everything that you told me was a lie. Azriel limps away as tears threaten to force their way out of his eyes. Liam walks them into the compound and heals them up. “You did great out there. I’m sorry you had to go through that.” Azriel just nods their head before laying it on Liam's chest. “I wish I didn't have to fight him. I wish everything could go back to how it was.”


Azriel wakes up in their bed the next morning and heads downstairs where they see everyone and Nick fury sitting. “Good morning sleepy head. Did you have a nice dream?” Tony says as he sits back. Azriel nods their head before walking over to the coffee pot and getting a cup. “F*ck you all until I have caffeine in my system.” Azriel says as they walk back upstairs, “I probably should have warned you that she would say that. He doesn’t like to be talked to before he has caffeine.” Liam says just as Azriel comes running down the stairs at full speed fully dressed in a suit and a bun at the base of his neck. “ I have an interview in about an hour so I need to get going.v I hope you all have an amazing day.” They say as she kisses Liam before hugging Steve, Natasha, and Bucky and leaving for the garage. They get into Tony’s yellow Cadillac and drive to the interview.


They finally have everything they could ever need, a stable relationship, parents and friends who care about them, and a stable job. They are complete.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.