The Criminal's Unexpected Return | Teen Ink

The Criminal's Unexpected Return

December 8, 2019
By tli, Metairie, Louisiana
More by this author
tli, Metairie, Louisiana
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I was running very, very late for my job interview. I was suppose to be at the interview five minutes ago, but I had overslept, as usual. Getting ready as fast as I could, I ran out the door still putting on my shoes and with a cup of coffee. I was running through the streets like a lunatic with hair flying all over my face and sticking to my lipstick. All of a sudden, I stumbled backwards and splashed my coffee all over my white dress. I looked up to see a woman who appeared about in her forties sitting on the ground with a hand on her forehead. “Oh, I’m so sorry ma’am! Are you alright?” I exclaimed. I quickly helped her up, but she threw my hands away and fussed “Watch where you’re going next time, young lady!” She smoothed her hair and hurried past me, as if she was in as much of a rush as I am. When I realized that her wallet was on the ground, she was long gone in the distance. I reminded myself to bring it to the police station after my interview. Speaking of my interview, I was now almost fifteen minutes late and my white dress was stained! “Can this day get any worse?” I cried out. I arrived at my interview a few minutes later and tried to walk in confidently despite being late and wearing a stained dress. Two hours later, I walked out with a big smile on my face. The interviewer said I did very well with my interview, and so I was accepted to work as an investigator right away. So much excitement and happiness flooded inside me, that I had almost forgotten about the rude lady’s wallet. As I was walking to the police station, I checked the wallet to see that it belonged to Nicole Jackson. My feet suddenly stopped. “Why does this name sound so familiar?” I wondered. Memories of news reporting the disappearance of a lady on TV from a decade ago appeared in my mind. I quickly got to the police office and gave the wallet to them, after that I rushed home to do some research about my suspicion. At first, it seemed as if the internet was preventing me from finding any information about Nicole Jackson, but after hours of researching I finally dug up some information from ten years ago. It said that Nicole Jackson was convicted of two murders and was on the run for a few months before she disappeared entirely, leaving no traces behind. Police spent two years trying to track her down but had no luck. Soon, people started saying that she might have snuck on a boat and went off to another country, so there would be no use trying to find her. After that, the case was closed and Nicole Jackson was never seen again, until today. I was sure that the lady I had bumped into was Nicole Jackson, but why would she reappear again? I thought, “Surely it isn’t to commit another crime, is it?” The next morning I went to the police station again, this time not to turn in a wallet, but to report what had happened to me yesterday. The officers agreed with me that it is suspicious that Jackson had appeared again. They told me they will do their best to track her down, but I stopped them before they could say anymore. I said, “Did you guys really investigated this case in detail, what if there was another person that was just as much of a suspect as Nicole Jackson?” “We found Jackson in the midst of both crime scenes and all of the evidence led to her.” they said in return. “But if you want, you can investigate more of this on your own” That night when I got home, I did some more research, but just as the officers said, all of the evidence led to Nicole Jackson. Just two days after my visit to the police office, “Ring, ring!” I picked up the phone and a guy with a very deep voice said, “Hello, this is Officer Andrew and I wanted to inform you that we have captured Nicole Jackson. You can come take a look at her if you want.” When I got there, they showed me to the room where Nicole was currently being held in. As I got near the room, I could hear a lady yelling “It wasn’t me, it wasn’t me!” I entered the room and there she was, the same lady that I had knocked down on the streets. Her eyes widened when she saw me. “I did not commit the crimes! I have been wronged!” I asked, “Will you tell us who the real criminal is then?” “Yes! I will! I came because I wanted to prove my innocence!” she sobbed, “In fact, the real murderer is in this room!”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.