The Diary of Daisy the Droplet | Teen Ink

The Diary of Daisy the Droplet

By KOTLCfan, Wyndmere, North Dakota
KOTLCfan, Wyndmere, North Dakota

"I'm sneaky like that!"
-Keefe Sencen KotLC Lodestar-

Author's note:

In sixth grade, I was assigned a water cycle project so I wrote a story, and my sixth grade teacher who shall remain anonymous encouraged me to keep it as a childrens' book.

This short story is hallarious- in my opinion- and I actually like it.

Thursday, July 17, 2010

Today, I fell from the sky. It was so awesome. I love the feeling of my stomach dropping on the ground. Well, technically my stomach, along with the rest of me, did fall to the ground- or at least on a petal. I was so high up, and then I just got too heavy and the next thing I knew, I was flying through the air like a bird. After flying through the air for a few seconds, I felt a plop, and then my body expanded, then went back to a blob.

Ahhh, there I was, sitting on a pretty pink flower, just above a raging river, gazing at the bright lights in the sky. Well, until the dark storm clouds covered my view. “Hey,” I yelled at the clouds. “Get out of the way! You’re blocking my view!” The clouds responded with a clap of thunder and a flash of lightning as if they were laughing at me. Yes! Thunderstorms were my favorite especially because I get to see more of my fellow droplets. “Hey! Over here!” I yelled. *Sigh.* Too bad they couldn’t control the way they fell.

“Hello fellow droplets. Nice of you to drop in on me- whoa! Careful guys! You’re going to make us all tip over,” I told them. I didn’t recognize any of their faces, or voices until I heard, “Daisy? How did you get here?” Oh no! Daphine Droplet, my worst enemy, just had to land on my flower petal too huh. I cleared my throat, and responded, “Um, the same way you did. Obviously.” “It’s called precipitation, even you should know that.” I didn’t get to respond because the petal that I was on got too heavy and we tipped into the raging river.

“Woohooo!” I shouted. The wind was blowing in my face as I plunged down the river. “Thank you fellow droplets!” I cried out, happy that Daphine was shrieking in the back. All of a sudden, I felt myself plunge into a calmer body of water. I assumed it was a lake with other rain droplets squished together. “Hey!” a grumpy old voice called. “There’s enough of us in here. No need to get us more crowded.” “Sorry,” I replied, and floated away. Ahhh, this should be a good place to rest. “Until tomorrow,” I whispered into the night.

Saturday, July 26, 2010

Ahhh, the lake was so comfortable today! I’ve met a few new droplets, and I’ve seen many of my fellow droplets. Delilah and Dandelion, two new droplets that I met, have become the closest I have ever had to a friend. While we were resting, a gust of wind picked us up and swoosh! We were flying through the air. We had so much fun surfing on other droplets until the sun came out.

“Oh come on!” Delilah grumbled. “I’m going to get fried and my beautiful liquid skin is going to shrivel up!” “Whoa!” Dandelion exclaimed from behind us. We turned to see her rising from the water. “Hey come back!” Delilah shouted, but it wasn't heard because Dandelion’s cries for help were drowning out every noise we made. “Hey! Kids! Were trying to sleep over here,” a grumpy old man grumbled. “Sorry,” I apologized. “Dandelion,” I called more quietly. “Listen to me.” She stopped screaming to listen to my instructions. “Just don’t look down! You’re doing great! Have fun!” I called out to her. Her shrill cries still echoed for a few seconds.

“What happened to her?” Delilah asked, horrified. “She evaporated. It’s part of our life cycle,” I told her. After a few seconds, I heard Delilah giggling. “He he! That tickles,” she said. “Oh no. You're starting to evaporate too. Um, don’t freak out. When you get into the air remember-” “Ahhhhhhhhh!” She shrieked. She was starting to float away when I called out to her. “Remember! Don’t. Look. Down!” I shouted out of breath. Then she was gone. Poof! Into the sky.

*Sigh* There wasn’t anything to do after my friends left. I traveled for a while in the lake when my fellow droplets started moving fast. Then that’s when I saw it. “A waterfall!” I shrieked happily. But my happiness didn’t last long. Not long after we came closer to what I thought was a waterfall, I realized that it was actually another rapid river. “Awww,” I whined. I was really looking forward to falling down a really steep waterfall. Oh well, I would still feel like I’m on an awesome roller coaster.

“Woohooo!” I shouted as I charged down the hill. “Oof!” I groaned as I landed on a firm surface. I felt my body expand and slowly come back to the normal blob. “Come on!” I shouted to the trees nearby. “I didn’t even get to finish my ride. Seriously!” I was fuming and I was so angry that I got really tired. *Sigh* I guess that meant I had to rest there tonight. *Yawn* “Good night world,” I whispered before I fell asleep.

Tuesday, July 29, 2010

Today, I woke up, so excited to see the beautiful sunrise, but when I opened my eyes, all I saw was soil. “Oh man. How could I infiltrate without waking up?” I asked, disgusted with myself. *Sigh* Today was going to be a long day. But wait! Was I imagining it or was I moving down. Nope. Not imagining it. I became groundwater before my eyes, and now I’m going to become something else. “Yippee!” As I traveled through the soil, I was so concentrated that I didn’t even notice the soil get colder than before until I felt my liquid skin start to harden. “Oh no. I have to get out of here,” I told myself, panicked to become a piece of frozen water.

Then I felt it. Warm droplets of water surrounding me. Where was I? Hmm. This place looks familiar. “It’s the Pacific Ocean!” I shrieked. “Hey guys,” I called out to my fellow droplets. “We’re in the Pacific Ocean.” “How could you possibly know that,” a snooty voice called out to me. “Because, Daphine, I simply do. I’ve been in this same place before,” I told Daphine Droplet as she made her way towards me. “Whatever. I’ve got better things to do than fight with you,” she said before swimming towards the surface of the water.

I decided to go to the surface of the Pacific Ocean, and watch the birds fly in the sky. When I got there, there were no birds. The sun wasn’t shining either. Dark gloomy clouds covered the sight of the beautiful sky. Then, I felt a plop beside me. Then another and another. Yay! My fellow droplets were dropping in on me! “Hey guys!” I shouted out to them. “How’s it going?” Their responses came out something like, “Ahhh! Helpeme!” Awesome! It seemed like they were having as much fun as I do when I fall.

Wednesday, July 30, 2010

This morning I swam in the Pacific Ocean, wondering what to do, when I felt a wiggle underneath me. “Oh man! Hey guys, there’s a fish underneath me,” I yelled to my fellow droplets. “Cool,” I breathed. “COme here little fella. Whoa, careful buddy, no need to flash those scary teeth of yours at me,” I said to the fish with big sharp teeth. “Hey, no biting. My mom always told me that if I bite someone, my teeth will get pulled out. It didn’t end up so well. Now if you want to keep those sharp yellow teeth of yours, then I suggest that you keep ‘em to yourself. That’s a good fishy. Hmm, what should I name you? Greyfish? NO. You don’t like that do you,” I said as the fish glared at me. “How about Goldfish? Yeah? Okay, Goldfish it is.”

I was just getting used to telling all of my secrets with Goldfish when I felt myself shift. I ignored it at first, but then something was tickling me. “Yes! I’m evaporating!” I shrieked, hoping I didn’t scare Goldfish. “Aww, I know you wanna come with me but- wait! You can come with me. Here,” I held out my hand, “Hold on. We’ll go together.” Goldfish didn’t seem to get the message. I sighed, and said something I thought was fish language. “You. Grab hold. Hand. Come with.” He still didn’t understand, and I didn’t have much time left. I felt myself start to float and I couldn’t do anything. As I got higher into the air, I called out to Goldfish, “So long, Goldfish. May you live in peace without getting your teeth pulled. Be a good fishy and wait for me.” I started to get really tired, and I ended up falling asleep halfway through my flight.

Thursday, July 31, 2010

I woke up to see myself crowded in a puffy greyish cloud, and when I looked down, I was part of the greyish cloud. “Whoa! I condensed overnight! That’s pretty. . . fantastic!” I exclaimed. Normally, I would be awake for this kinda stuff, but I must’ve dozed off during it. I looked around for my fellow droplets, but I didn’t see any of them. I only saw pairs of floating eyes and mouths probably because we were all whitish-grey. “Hello guys. Did you feel me come up?” I asked them. When nobody responded, I felt alone.

After a few minutes of sulking, I decided that there was so much more to life than this horrible cloud. I started to wiggle and jiggle and finally, I dropped from the cloud prison. “Yahooo!” It was nice to be precipitation again, though I never liked the label, and as I was flying through the air, I hoped that I landed on the same pretty pink flower again.