The Haunting of Holt High | Teen Ink

The Haunting of Holt High

By BryttLegit, Wentzville, Missouri
BryttLegit, Wentzville, Missouri

Author's note:

This piece is one of my favorites i have ever written. even though it is not finished it will always be my favorite

It's a bit past noon. It's a sunny Kentucky day, sunlight is peaking through the windows except when driving under the overpasses on the highway. 

Angle changes and aims at the back seat from the front of the car now showing a young woman driving TAPPING HER FINGERS on the steering wheel to the beat music and another sitting at the back of the van looking at multiple tabs with odd locations and websites from a large computer screen while sipping water from a BLACK WATER BOTTLE. -BUMP- The car jumps around knocking the water bottle off the counter with a bang, the woman driving stifles a laugh.

MARIE LONE

(Irritably)

What the hell Jinx! You said you’d avoid the bumps!

ANGEL (JINX) LAVEAU

(Hysterical laughter falls to a teasing smile)

Okay, I’m sorry! You were just so quiet I wanted to make sure you weren’t dead! 

(Smile slowly fades) 

Hey listen, you’ve been scarily quiet since Kansas’s “Haunted Diner”, and I just wanna be sure you're okay. Y’know it's okay-

MARIE LONE

I know! You've said it a million times since, I know it's okay and that mistakes happen but I just wanna move on from it. 

(Mumbling now)

I didn’t realize it was a stupid tourist-y haunted diner thing… I thought it was a real haunted location.

Angel sighs quietly and rubs the back of her neck, her head slightly dropping. Then, a soft smile slowly grows on her face as she peaks into the back seat. She whips her hand toward the back seat perfectly landing on Marie’s head where she begins to aggressively run her hand through her hair. Her short hair was now nothing more than a disheveled mess.

ANGEL (JINX) LAVEAU

(Laughing)

C’mere Dork, sit up here with me.

As Marie crawls to the front, her annoyed expression is swiftly replaced by an excited smile, the sound of a CELL PHONE RINGING now filling the van.

MARIE LONE

(tumbling into the passenger seat hurriedly)

SHHHHHH ANGEL, TURN THE MUSIC DOWN!!

ANGEL (JINX) LAVEAU

(sighing dramatically)

Oh my LORD! Okay, okay just chill OUT.

MARIE LONE

(takes in a deep breath and pick phone up)

Hello, This is Marie and Jinx. uh-huh… Oh my god, yeah! That sounds awesome!

ANGEL (JINX) LAVEAU

(whispering desperately)

DUDE, WHAT ARE THEY SAYING!?!?

MARIE LONE

(continues, ignoring Angel’s whispers and gestures)

Of course, and the address? Okay one second.

(snapping her fingers at Angel, Marie motions for a pen) 

Angel hurriedly scrounges around the center console to no avail. She begins looking in her door and finds a Sharpie, Marie snatches it from her hands and mouths a quick “Thank you”. Angel does a small sarcastic bow in return and then pats Marie’s head.

MARIE LONE

(shakes head while keeping her best customer service voice)

Okay I’m ready for it. 600… Mhm, Wentzville… 63385… awesome! Thank you so much, mhm! Yes we’ll be sure to call you if we need anything or have any other questions. Yup, have a good one!

Marie hangs up and begins waving her hands excitedly, she then whips her head around, happily looking at Angel 

OH MY GOD, JINX, I HAVE OUR NEXT LOCATION! ITS THREE FLOORS AND THERE ARE DOCUMENTED SIGHTING OF APPARITIONS.

ANGEL (JINX) LAVEAU

(Excitedly)

REALLY, WHERE IS IT? WHERE ARE WE GOING??

MARIE LONE

(smiling sheepishly)

Well… it's only an 8 hour drive…

ANGEL (JINX) LAVEAU

(Excitement turns to suspicion)

Where are we going Mar…?

MARIE LONE

(looking at GPS, while rubbing the back of her head)

Wentzville Missouri’s very own “HOLT HIGH SCHOOL”…?

ANGEL (JINX) LAVEAU

(Excitement turns to suspicion)

Mar… you know I-

MARIE LONE 

(turning to Angel)

Yes I know, you have a bad past there but it's LEGIT! Plus I know quite some time has passed since you were last there. I mean hear me out Jinx, we’re 27 now, it's been about 10 years since you were last there and the building shut down TWO WEEKS after you left. It's bound to have stirred up spirits after everything that happened and all the time it's been sitting. Listen, let's just go and feel it out. If you don’t feel comfortable after we get there then we can leave, I PROMISE!

ANGEL (JINX) LAVEAU
(taking deep breath, hands tightening around the steering wheel)

Okay.

MARIE LONE

REALLY??? WE CAN GO??
ANGEL (JINX) LAVEAU

Yes, we can really go, BUT if I read the energy and I end up getting the slightest discomfort or bad feelings being there then we’re leaving with absolutely NO QUESTIONS ASKED! Do we have a deal?

MARIE LONE
YES BET, IT'S A DEAL!

ANGEL (JINX) LAVEAU

Yeah… so hey, do ya think you could do me a giant favor and find us a hotel to stay in for the night? It's getting kinda dark and I haven’t slept in about 20 hours.

MARIE LONE
OH SHHII- Uhmmm yeah turn off the highway in like 2 miles.

INT. OLD HOTEL- NIGHT

They arrive at the hotel, bringing in only the necessities. 

Angel immediately heads towards the bed and flops down completely exhausted from their long drive, as Angel lays in bed, she can’t help but notice the room’s smell. 

ANGEL (JINX) LAVEAU

(mumbling in a tired voice)
Marie, doesn’t this room smell kinda like a gaggle of grandmas wearing cheap perfume decided to get white-girl wasted on coffee made with the mustiest century-old coffee beans?

It definitely wasn’t the nicest room they’ve stayed in but their last investigation didn’t exactly pay as well as they had anticipated so the room would have to do. Marie didn’t seem to mind however, a quiet laugh escaped her lips as she picked a laptop off of the desk and turned around to look at Angel.

MARIE LONE

(Smiling)

Y’know, your out-of-pocket descriptions of weird ass things never fails to entertain me. But as much as I would love to be able to deny it, your lovely description of our gorgeous 1.3 star hotel room was painfully accurate.

Marie walked to the bed, carefully sitting next to Angel. She began clicking away on her laptop, looking for more information on their next location. Angel shifted, now facing her, and scooched her head to rest on Marie’s lap. She then watched as Marie scrolled through massive forums Holt’s history.

ANGEL (JINX) MARIE

(yawning)

How do you not want to die while reading through all of this…

MARIE LONE

LOTS of practice and a passion for my job, now shush dingus.

Marie placed her hand on Angel’s head and gently began brushing the hair from her eyes. As Angel lay watching the cursor float around the endless words, she was slowly becoming hypnotized, her vision began fading and her body relaxing until eventually, she fell into a deep sleep.

Its not completed but i will try to finish it up when i get the time :)

In 500 feet, your destination will be on the right.

Angel had avoided this moment, stopping at every gas station, eating in fast food restaurants. She did everything possible to delay this moment. They had arrived in the one location that never stopped haunting her. The surrounding buildings were falling apart, the shattered windows were boarded up in an attempt to prevent people from entering but the rotted wood was breaking off effortlessly. The whole area was completely abandoned, it was completely shocking to see how quickly it all collapsed. All it took was one tragedy, one horrific moment and the entirety of the town became a ghost town.
MARIE LONE

(a weak smile painted over a deep concern)

Hey, you okay Jinx? You look horrified… 

ANGEL (JINX) MARIE 

(flinching, startled by the sudden voice)

Oh uh yeah, just thinking… no need to worry kid.

She pats Marie’s head now turning into the old school’s parking lot. Her stomach turns as she pulls into a parking spot near the back of the building.

MARIE LONE

(hopping out of the car anxiously)

Eugh this place feels suuuuper off… What's the move boss?

ANGEL (JINX) MARIE 

(cautiously opening car door)

Yeah… this is… weird. Just- just start unpacking the camera and the basics. I'm gonna try to feel this place out.

MARIE LONE

(putting a hand on Angel’s shoulder)

Okay, let me know how you feel, okay? We don’t have to stay.

Angel nods and closes her eyes. As she begins to take a deep breath, a sharp pain pierces her lungs and an overwhelming sense of fear engulfs her. She begins to see shapes forming behind her eyelids, a tall shadow reaches out toward her and as its hand draws nearer she begins to feel light headed. It's almost like her breath is being sucked out of her lungs. Deep misery, dread, pain, sadness, all washing over her. 

ANGEL (JINX) LAVEAU

(thinking to herself)

I NEED to escape… there's no way I can escape… but would it be so bad to stay…? 

She begins to sway, stumbling while trying to stay standing. She notices that her thoughts are becoming increasingly fuzzy.

MARIE LONE

(Concerned)

Hey hon, you doing okay? Come here for a bit, let's take a break and sit down for a minute. What happened over there, what’d you feel?

Marie holds Angel up by her shoulder while she grabs a water bottle from an ice box. Angel, still in a trance, tries to stand up, pushing Marie's hand. Desperately trying to keep her from standing and hurting herself, Marie places her hand back on Angel’s shoulders, shushing her. 

MARIE LONE

Hey you’re done for now, take a breather. Do you wanna try to drink some water for me?