A Glimpse of Paradise | Teen Ink

A Glimpse of Paradise

By DawnCarmin BRONZE, Minerva, Ohio
DawnCarmin BRONZE, Minerva, Ohio

A poor man's wealth is honor and a rich man's debt is shame. What do I have to offer when the world calls my name?

Author's note: In my life, my brother had died. We were close in friendship and brotherhood.

I loved creating what grew in my mind...

A gallant ship, glorious in the dazzling sun’s beauty, with its sides of white and striped with gold, it appeared as if it held royalty in its cabins. It was the largest ship I had ever seen, its glimmering innards were precious, and its appearance was magnificent. I had the privilege of living inside, and enjoyed every day, going up on its broad, wooded deck, and feeling the fresh breeze, growing warmer every mile. Its salty winds yanked lightheartedly at my white dress, and made my hair dance along it are rippling current, as I watched the waves splashed against the esteemed sides of the brilliant vessel far from land. The skies were almost always clear; the only clouds you saw were the wispy cirrus, with their crystal tails flashing upward towards blue eternity. It was almost perfect. It was a cheerful place, where I would never be lonely. There were many people of various kinds, but the most important to me were my family and my friends. It was also common to see people that were familiar wandering about the hallways, (including various kids from school, and a few of Sophia’s neighbors) enjoying this hint of Paradise. All our hearts were as blissful as the ship glided steadily across its path of water.
One day, I sat below deck in one of the ship’s more modest rooms. It was dim, except for the sunlight that echoed through a small window. I sat in a soft, comfortable sofa, and was resting my eyes until-
“Oh, Celeste!” squealed a teasing voice. My mother burst through the door holding a white, small sheet of paper between two delicate fingers. Mother’s curls gleamed with a ruddy hint from a burgundy sunset, and her tanned face stared at me with mockery. She flailed the paper about the room.
“You will not believe what I found!” said Mother with a spark of mischievousness in her brown eyes. The smell of newness found its way about her amusing tone.
“What?” I said, not very interested. I gripped an elegant fan, and waved it to cool and soothe my warm face.
“I found a note for you! It’s from a secret admirer!” she shrieked like a little girl. Now I was interested.
“Give it to me!” I ordered, holding out a fragile hand. My grandma ambled in the room, hearing the conversation from outside the door. Her round cheeks were burnt from the sun, and her tight curls were wispy with a pallid color at the edges.

“Your loveliness is unlike any…”
Love,
Your secret admirer,”

“Oh, my,” I said, my eyes widening. I felt flattered. I blushed in embarrassment that my mother had to find the note before I did. I was truly dumbfounded. Who could this secret admirer be?

“How about him?” said Grandma, pointing out the door, there stood, in small distance away from the entrance, a teenage boy that was all-to familiar. He was tall, but slightly shorter than Andrew, his dark hair was trimmed close to the head, and he was engaging in a conversation with two girls in the dim hallway. His muddy brown eyes with a speck of green, lit up as he burst into laughter at something his friends had said.

I closed my eyes in annoyance. “Please no, not James!” I spat loudly. James was the conceited, sarcastic type, one of the populars from school. I’ll admit, he was quite humorous, but definitely vane. Mother shrugged.

“You never know!” she said, giving a bantering glance. I winced. Maybe this place was a little less than perfect.

Grandma thought deeply for a moment, recollecting something. She rubbed a hefty finger across her reddened chin. I leaned back against my chair in thought.

“Aw,” she said, her eyes flashing, she snapped her fingers, trying to recollect something.

“Celeste’s boyfriend!”
I stared at her blankly.

“Mark?” asked mother simply.

I overstressed rolling my eyes in my deep irritation, and dropped my fan clumsily on my lap.

“How many times do I have to tell you? He is not my boyfriend!” I said, firmly, trying to not blush.

“Oh, I didn’t mean it that way!” said Grandma apologetically, “I meant a friend that is a boy,”
I shrugged. Mother laughed. I knew this kid was capable of a lot of things, but-I don’t think he’d have enough guts to do this.

Embarrassed, I abruptly left the room, and traveled down the hallways. I could feel the ship go up and down, steadily dancing across the waves.

“Celeste? Is that you?” I heard a soft woman’s voice say. Suddenly, I felt being pulled into an embrace; the scent of honeydew perfumed the air.

“Yes,” I looked ahead with deep expectancy and there was Mrs. Carl. She was one of the teacher’s from school, and absolutely adored me. I loved how in class, she treated everyone with a deep concern for each of their well-beings. With extra tutoring a few years ago, and a patient heart, I grew to love her very much too. She treated me amiably, like she did her own kids. She ran her fingers through my hair lovingly, and spoke in a gentle manner. My ‘boyfriend’, or Mark was her son. In some ways, I could see a little of Mrs. Carl in him.

“You enjoying yourself?” she asked sweetly.

“Yes,” I answered. She looked down at me, and studied me with her eyes of the ocean waves, blue and green as the thrashed waters.

“Are you going to Mark’s party?” she asked. Her hands felt warm as she pressed them lightly against my shoulders.

“I guess. I didn’t know about it,” I looked about the narrow passageway.

“Have you seen Mark? I need to ask him something,” I asked.
Mrs. Carl released me and pointed down the dark hallway. My intention was to get the some information about a ‘certain note’. I didn’t think he wrote it, but I thought he knew something about it. I hoped that he wrote it, nonetheless.
Mark knew a lot about strange things, that’s why I fancied him. He was charming and very good-looking. That I must mention, even though this story isn’t quite about him. Mark was also well known in school. A lot of kids from my school boarded the ship, most of which were popular because they could afford such things. The only one who embarked that was not so admired or trendy was Christopher. He was the eldest ‘drip’ from school, though I will credit him with a pleasantly polite and sweet personality. He was not as attractive as Mark, however. Would I be so fortunate as to have a moneyed, young man send me a love note?
I traveled down the hallway that was carpeted by a dingy crimson lined with gold. I slid my fingers across its cool wooden walls, and pulled my hand back to skip over the doors. I finally found Mark. He was leaning against the wall, doing nothing in particular, which made me curious. I startled him, and I went straight to the point.

“Do you know anything about this note?” I waved it in his face, and he immediately snatched it from me. He flexed his eyebrows upward, curiously, and his pale face gave a twisted expression. He smiled when he read the note.

“If you’re asking if that was me. Oh yeah, that was totally me,” his words were marinated in sarcasm. He was not good at much, but when it came to acting, he was first-class. He gave an indistinguishing look, which always made him impossible to figure out.

“Do you know who wrote it?” I asked. He gave a shrug that irritated me, but I could tell he absolutely loved that he was, once again, getting my goat. I could feel his intense enjoyment, so I turned to march away.

“But, I do know something about it,” he rushed, noticing that I lost interest.

“Yes?” I asked, stepping forward, remembering to snatch the note back. I swiped it before he could do his normal prancing about the room, holding the object high above his head so I couldn’t reach it.

“It was put into your room this morning,” he said, making his voice sound rather mysterious. He tilted his head to the floor, but his roguish, blue eyes looked up at me.
I stared at him.

“And?” I said slowly, trying to get the whole story.

“And I have to go! See ya!” he called, disappearing into a dark corridor.

“Just lovely,” I sighed. I turned back to go my original room. The hall rocked to the rhythm of the waves, as I traveled through the murky place, my feet rubbing against its rough carpet.

I made it back to my room. When I opened its door, no one was inside. I sat down on the small, cushy sofa, and laid back. Everything was silent, except for the waves sloshing against the ship’s magnificent sides. I flipped my hand back to the top of the couch and sighed. I felt something papery. It slipped off the velvety material, and floated onto my lap. I picked it up.

“Another note,” I said. I eagerly opened its folded corners and read it aloud.

“Even amongst the most beautiful, you stand out.”

Affectionately,

Your Secret Admirer”

“These notes are going to drive me mad!” I raged passionately. I was born with a curious heart.

“Who is this secret admirer?” I wondered orally.

“Celeste?” said a quiet voice. My little brother peaked in through the opening. I motioned with my hand for him to come in. He came forward, sheepishly. His small form was friendly, and his eyes were such a vivid green. They were of the purest spring leaf, barely a suggestion of brown, but no hint of blue. His once bright blonde head had deadened into a dirty flaxen, like the sand underneath the waters being twirled about.

“Yes?” I said, gently. He pursed his lips together.

“Celeste, could you draw a picture of me?” he asked. I immediately got down on my knees and searched under the coach for my sketchpad. I gripped it, and slowly slipped it out from underneath. I clutched its cold, spiraled binder then placed myself back on the coach, and nodded at him.

“Justice, I will, I promise,” I said, remembering Mark’s party.

“But, right now I have to get ready for a party of some sort. You can come with me, if you want,” I suggested. His sheepish face turned to that of disappointment.

“If you really want it done right away, why don’t you ask Analise?” I supposed.

“Because your better than our little sister! And I want it to be a surprise for Analise! Don’t you dare say go to our older brother, because Andrew is always busy and he draws like a chicken!”

“You mean his penmanship and drawing skills are like chicken scratch?” I corrected.

“Ya,” he sighed.
I felt bad for the boy. I patted the seat beside me, signaling him to sit down. He came forward. Of my three siblings, Justice was closest to me in age and in my heart. We usually got along, but sometimes I was ‘too busy’ with my friends. But right then, I had an overwhelming feeling that I hadn’t seen him in some time, and to be extra careful in what I said to him, in case I might regret something.

“I wanted you to draw it, so I could give the picture to Analise. I wanted to make a picture, but I’m not good at drawing. You’re way better than me,” he said sadly. His pitiful, yet thoughtful gesture tugged at my heart. I was deeply moved by his kindness, and thinking of Analise.

“I will draw a picture, but I think Analise would like it if you drew one. You’re not bad at drawing! It shows that it came from the heart, and it’ll be more special,” I proposed. I rubbed a hand up and down his back, smoothing out the wrinkles in his shirt, feeling the lumps of his spine.

“Celeste! The party is going to start!” yelled an unknown voice from outside the door. I shot up, and dropped the sketchpad. It clanked against the floor. There, Justice sat, staring at the direction of the window, looking out into the distant setting sun. It glared past the windowpanes and cast an orangey light across the wall, and across his hopeful face.

“Remember, I will draw it, a little later, okay?” I said. He smiled, his crooked, and spaced teeth peeked out at me, and I returned the grin. I traveled away from the room, and all through the dark, but elegant hallways, and climbed up the wooded stairs to an upper layer.

In such an graceful ship, there was a luxurious dining room, with huge pallid doors that led to it. I strode through, and the room was filled with a buzz and murmur of people. The space was long and broad, and its ceiling was tall, echoing the chatter, clanging off the grand, golden chandelier that swung with the rhythm of the ship. The ladies were dressed in simple, modest dresses, of various colors, matching the men in their self-effacing clothing. It was full of familiar, yet unfamiliar faces. Mrs. Carl immediately spotted me, amongst the women in the large, pleasurable swarm. Her face was cheerful, and I could tell this party was going well. I saw Mark in the far corner, absorbed in his gift. He was not speaking, which is extremely abnormal, and his expression was not mischievous, he looked like he had met the love of his life, for in his arms was, of all things---a dog. He absolutely adored the fat, drolly, pet! But, I felt happy for him. Everything was a whirr of laughter, and satisfaction. This crowd never seemed to take notice of me, but I didn’t mind. Mrs. Carl was the host, and she loved me, so that’s what mattered. I scouted the room for my friend, Sophia, but I couldn’t seem to find her. She must have been enjoying the coolness of the breeze above deck than suffocating in the warm, babbling crowds.
I saw Christopher in the hubbub, which surprised me. I didn’t think a geek would be invited, but he certainly was enjoying the refreshments and chatter of the party. He embraced the commotion with a wild grin on his face. James was making other girls laugh by spouting jokes and making crazy expressions. How Mark was missing it all! He was completely absorbed in cuddling with his puppy. I loved animals so I admired his love for his dog, though it did seem slightly blown out of proportion! Mark caught me staring, so he winked one blue eye. I could feel my mouth run dry and my face grow red.
Smiles grew on people’s faces like flowers matured in the spring. This seemed to be the most successful and happy party I had ever been to. Giggles of enjoyment burst forth into song. The happiness seemed unending on the magnificent ship until-

CRACK! Words cannot express how loud the noise was; the whole room shook violently back and forth, as the vessel flipped slightly upward. Everyone was thrown to the ground. I was violently flung into a tall form. He thunked against the wall, my body against him. Various appendages resounded an ached from the avoidable jerk, much like the crack echoed from my ringing ears to the depths of the sea. Fear soared through my veins as I looked up. I felt my heart grow cold, and skip one too many beats. I scrambled to my feet, only to see James grabbing hold of my arm.

“Are you alright?” he asked, his thin form shaking with fear.
“No,” I answered, glancing about. Above the screams of those around the room was the sound of rushing water. The thrashing noise came from not too far below.

“We’re sinking!” came the unharmonious wails. The cries and groans of the ship echoed resoundingly through my spirit. The nightmare of nightmares was beginning.

The chandelier swung violently, threatening to snap its wire. The lights flashed on and off in elegant space, flickering in the gathering’s faces. People were rushing all over. James, gripping my arm fiercely, made a dash out of the room, dragging me alongside. Mark followed. The two populars, wearing identical baggy, white shirts also coordinated in their terrified expressions. We flew up the steps that led to the deck, and flung the door open. Huge rocks bulged out of the waves, its hardness dripping with beads of water, with pieces of white and gold wood clinging to its sides, sat several yards away. I guessed that once the collision occurred, the ship resounded backwards in agony. But, we were sinking…ever so slowly. Terror and the filth of fearful sweat were so intense you could smell it and the noise…hell was calling our name from the depths of the sea. The ship groaned in pain, as the water swallowed it. James ran to the edge of the railing that wrapped tightly around the tilted ship. I followed. We looked down the side, and we watched in horror as the vessel sunk deeper into the waves. Mark looked the other direction, and saw a miracle in the distance---another ship! Not only that, it already was heading towards us. We rushed down the firm, wooden steps to bring the good news to those below. Many shrieked with joy as we dashed through the hallways. The effect of our call was a rush of people. They dashed and trampled through the thin passageways like a stampede of buffalos. They greedily crowded the hallways and made forth towards hope. I didn’t see my family, and I needed them. I could never leave them. I rather die than live without them near me. Sophia skidded to a stop when her vision caught my shivering form.
“Celeste! Come on!” I couldn’t speak, so I mouthed no, and shook my head when I found myself heading back into the hopeless wreckage. I could tell that Sophia was about to follow me, but Mrs. Carl grabbed her pale arms. Sophia struggled, but Mrs. Carl hushed each complaint, and rushed her to safety. I rushed the opposite direction of the swarm. I headed downward, at a fast pace. Suddenly, someone shoved me out of the way. Their force was powerful, and before I could put my hands in front of my face, my head hit the stilted wall. I slid in a clump on the floor. My vision blurred, but I forced myself to try to stand, but only to find that I couldn’t move an inch. I looked up towards the deck and saw a blurred version of Mrs. Carl and Mark trying to help people on board the rescue craft, before the water had overcome. The screams and shouts became quiet murmuring whispers, and before everything went black, I heard Mark say,

“Where are Celeste and Andrew? Mother, we can’t leave them!” he yelled overtop the crowd. Mrs. Carl called back assuredly,

“I’m certain they’re already on board!”

Darkness had enveloped me, as I yieldingly gave up trying to move.

I felt someone shaking me back and forth, with a tight grip on my shoulders. I opened my eyes to see I was still in the ship. The vessel still groaned in anguish. The hall was drearily lit, and quiet as I peered at the one who woke me.

“Christopher?” I groaned. He still had a tight grip on my shoulders, as his rounded triangular nose pointed upward in the darkness. I must have blacked out only a few minutes.

“Christopher are you crazy?! You got to get to safety before its too late!” I almost screamed. He bit his lip in regret, and his brows furrowed out of hopelessness as he shook his head. His small body quivered as he sighed.

“I was on the ship safe and sound, then I realized you and Andrew weren’t on it, so I turned back, and went looking for you. I found you, but…they…they…they’re gone,” he turned away, and continued on quietly, “The ship and everyone had already left,”

I swallowed hard, and I couldn’t find the words to say. His eyes were wide, but he tried with great effort to show bravery in the small hallway of the dying vessel. I didn’t want to believe what he was trying to tell me…we were sinking closer and closer towards death’s door.

:)

My heart started racing a mile a minute. I grabbed hold of Christopher’s hand out of fear. He pulled me up off the dry carpet floor, soon to be soaking in water for the rest of its existence. His grip was firm, and comforting. I saw not to far off, in the darkness of the hallway, the quivering forms of Justice and Analise heading our direction.

“No!” I gasped, quietly. They couldn’t suffer the same fate as mine! They just couldn’t. Justice held sobbing Analise to his chest, and led her towards us. The boat creaked again. Justice froze.

“Celeste,” his lips formed the words, and the rest I could barely hear over the rushing waters.

“I’m scared,” his chin trembled ever so slightly, but he wouldn’t let his little sister see that he was truly terrified. He held my notepad in his hands, and I remembered my promise to him. Perhaps I could hurry and draw the picture before we met our deaths. I hurriedly grabbed the sketchpad and started outlining the hugging forms of Justice and Analise. Christopher kept a hand on my shoulder all the while, but I never looked away from the paper; I was going to finish it. My pencil flew up and down across the sheet with swift skill…for we didn’t have much time. My eyes darted up towards them, then back towards the paper, as I strained to see in the dingy light.

“Celeste!” screamed a voice from down the hallway. I didn’t look up, though I heard it perfectly clearly. I continued my sketch.

“What?” I yelled back, not bothering to stop what I was doing.

“Stop drawing and help me find some food! Andrew found life boats!” Called my mother’s frantic voice. I still didn’t stop. The direction of the voice came from the left of me, and it was urgent, but I continued on.

“Celeste!” yelled my mother, so fiercely. I never stopped.

“Stop it! Stop your useless drawing! We’re going to die if you don’t find something to eat! Stop being so stupid, Celeste!” she screamed. I could feel her presence right beside me. I finally turned my head, to see a desperate figure, clutching a small bag of food. It didn’t take me long to realize my whole family was in the sinking vessel.

“Mother, we are going to die! Would you want your last words to be telling your daughter how stupid she was?” I spat.
I turned back to my drawing but, the boat flipped slightly more upward, and threw me against the wall, and with water rushing into the current hallways, I knew death was coming. Everyone picked themselves up. I clutched my notepad to myself, and started weeping as I saw fatality approaching. Darkness and doom rang trough my ears, coming ever so much closer. Christopher grabbed my hand and rushed towards the deck, followed by Analise, Mother, and Justice. The rays of sun barely reached over the crushed front of the boat. We all hurried crossed the deck and towards the railing, and threw ourselves into the water below. The water swallowed my body as I rushed away from the liner. I tried to avoid getting suck down. The bow of the ship flipped totally erect, and plunged quickly, who knows how many feet below. I felt the wavy water twist my hair and about my arms. I stared in horror, and consumed with fear as the beautiful ship continued sinking towards the bottom. It screeched and groaned up at me, making chills fly up and down my arms. My heart raced with regret and mourned for the elegant ship. My face was submerged undersea, and I didn’t even realize, till Christopher grabbed my shoulders and yanked me out of the water and flung me into a lifeboat. I coughed up water, and leaned back against the small boat’s hardness. When I looked about, there were three lifeboats, all containing family members (Except for Christopher). Andrew was on one, with a dry, but devastated face. Mother, Analise, and Justice were huddled together with mournful expressions, and Christopher and I sat alone, dripping with water. Everyone was deathly still; you could no longer hear the echoing sound of the ship’s desperate groans, too far away to reach our ears. The sun was sinking behind the distance like our hearts drooping with hopelessness, and like the ship descending far beneath the waves that lapped against our small, floating crafts.
You may think we were safe, but it just prolonged our lives for only a few days, I knew that full well. I had no idea where mother had but her bag packed with food, and by the time help would reach us, it would be too late, with lack of water and needed supplies. I understood that, no matter what, we were going to die. Not only I, but everyone bobbing up and down around me with the pattern of the waves knew our fate was sealed.
The next morning, with my stomach groaning, and my throat aching with dryness, I decided to finish my sketch. I sat at the edge of the boat, staring out at my family huddled together. Mother held Analise in her tightly in her arms, and then hugged Justice close to her chest. I just needed to finish the outline of their faces, since I already captured the hugging forms. With Christopher peeping over my shoulder, I began to finish the best drawing I had ever made. Its shadings were so real and authentic it appeared to be an actual photograph. Perhaps the thought of the end drawing near urged my innermost talent to make the best of the best. Justice had never looked so proud when I handed him the drawing. He beamed and laughed joyfully even amongst our saddened faces. It sparked a hope, but was snuffed quickly with reality. He gave me a look that almost brought tears to my eyes. He never once looked so proud of his big sister. I knew I loved him, but something inside me said that I loved him more than I ever thought possible. He gently handled my masterpiece then, happily handed it over to Analise’s hands that quivered with gratefulness. When the picture was done, another full day had past, and I already felt weaker and longed for a better life, a better tomorrow, if that was to come. My head hurt from the blaring sun, and the continuous rocking of the water. The lapping of cool undrinkable water would relieve the sweat that beaded on my body in the day, but the nighttime chills couldn’t be comforted. I began to ponder what life really was all about and how I spent it. Every minute now was precious, with death just around the corner.
With the closing of another day, Justice decided to climb into our boat. It was a struggle, since we all were so weak with hunger and thirst. I kept thinking of Sophie and her hands folded sweetly at the dinner table, and my impatience. I was so hungry and tired. The images of mashed potatoes and gravy and Mother’s miraculous food billowed through my mind. Justice sat close to me, and suddenly grasped my hand with urgency. His hand was warm, and life filled his hold. Everything was dead still and completely silent, except for the waves that lapped against the sides of the small boat. Justice looked compliant and eager for something. His pale face glowed with enthusiasm and his cheeks reddened with joyfulness.
“Look into the water!” he whispered, hoarsely. He and I leaned over the edge. I clutched the side of the craft tightly and peered into the blueness of the water, tinted with the redness of the evening sun. I saw nothing but ripples that swirled about, at first. Then, my vision began to blur and the waves looked black. It tersely, to my horror, became a struggle to breathe. I gasped inward, only to find I couldn’t do it again. Fear consumed me; I never had this difficulty before. I could no longer inhale the freshness of the salty air, and the comfortable breeze that gloated about evening time. I then realized that I was dying. Darkness and fear consumed my utmost being. I was even more scared than I was on the ship. Experiencing death was different than anything I had ever imagined, or ever will again. Suddenly, my vision began to brighten; I saw clear sea green waves that lashed about me. I found I was no longer gazing at the water, but in the water. They were cool, but as we lurched forward, they began to warm. Justice, in spite of everything, held my hand. In death, I thought I’d feel a deep sense of loneliness, but I didn’t. I was scared, but the thought of Justice clutching my hand gave me the strength that is indescribable, and the courage that was impossible to explain. Justice’s grip was warm, but mine had gone cold with the tightness of our hold on each other’s destiny. I found Justice was yanking me-yanking me towards a distant island. The current pulled at me, but my feet abruptly struck sand that buried my toes. I leaned forward, all the while, scared to death, because I never took a breath in a full minute. My lungs felt like they were going to burst.
“Don’t be afraid!” Justice called. I was scared, but I wasn’t terrified, because I knew Justice wouldn’t let me go. He was facing the same fate, and I wasn’t abandoned. He seemed so sure of himself, and certain that whatever happened, wherever we were taken-we were going to be all right, because we were together. He strode ahead, dragging me along. All I could see was his blonde hair, and pure, white shirt dazzling in the sun, with his pale feet kicking towards paradise. The island we were rushing towards was unlike any I had ever seen, with its golden shores, and colorful plants more vivid and real than I had ever envisioned. My heart longed for oxygen, but couldn’t get it. Burning, cold sensations stung my fingers with lack of air. I gazed at Justice’s once sandy blonde head turning into a burning flaxen, glowing in glory’s sun. We rushed on tiredly through the current commanding us to go back. Justice still clutched my right hand, and something gripped my left. I believed it to be God, Himself encouraging me to go forward towards my only hope. If it was God, his hand was young and strong and carried the comfort of the world. Paradise, only a few feet away, with sturdy trees that would never die, even as I tell this story years later, the beauty still sways in the forever-warm breeze. My hands and lungs tingled with tiredness as I realized what death was really like-the most difficult thing you will ever experience. Oh, but Heaven! The place where no tears were to be shed ever again, lay right before my eyes. It was my goal, and I had to reach it! Its skies of the purest blue, and its air of the purest scent were at our fingertips. The sound of rushing waters mixed in with the faint, melodious music making our hearts yearn for heaven even more than before. I felt a connection with my dear brother that I had never felt in a long while. I loved him more than ever before. I sensed that our hearts and yearnings and dreams were connected, and that we’d find our destiny in what lied ahead. We were semi-close in life, but we clutched each other in the end. The end, coming nearer and nearer; so close, and yet so far; so wonderfully perfect and there was no way fear was going to let me turnaround and return to time drenched with hunger. We were almost at its shore, Justice a step ahead of me, struck the golden sand, then-
SNAP! His grip was gone; he let me go without hesitation. I couldn’t go on with out him pulling, I had no strength. The thoughts of being blown and tossed by the ways for eternity entered my mind. A huge, wave sucked me away from him. I tried my hardest to keep my head above the water, but it sloped up to block my view of Justice with its rainbow sea foam glowing with iridescence. The salt stung my nose with sea filth and burned my eyes. I couldn’t see Paradise! I was sucked underwater, it’s once clear, glimmering waves turned to a murky black, when-
“Celeste!” screamed a voice. I felt myself being lugged out of the water, then thrown onto something hard. I gasped. I could breathe! I slid my hand across the lifeboat’s wooden side, and opened my eyes.
“Christopher?” I groaned, a familiar groan. He leaned over me; water beaded his hair, making it look like a dark black. His face was tired, and very concerned. I was exhausted; I choked on mortal sea waves. But, I abruptly sat up; realizing Justice wasn’t in the boat. I looked about me, everyone was solemn, their lips were sealed like someone had just slipped away unexpectedly.
“Christopher! Justice had gone to Heaven before me! I got a glimpse of Paradise!” I tersely stopped yelling, and leaned back, in exhaustion. I heaved in gulps of air, relaxing my aching lungs. Christopher just stared at me.
Yes, Justice made it first, he made it before me, but he was waiting for me. I stared up at the sky, and began to think of Heaven differently. The pureness of the clouds made my thoughts deepen, as they trailed off into the cerulean of the seemingly unending universe. Heaven is real; I saw it with my own eyes! And one day soon, I was going to be there, since there’s not much potency to continue the laborious journey. I was hungry, I was tired, but why was I still there? Why did God let me see a glimpse, only to snatch it back, taking my brother with Him? And death is almost intolerable! Only to think to suffer through it once, only to be revived to suffer again, later!
You may believe, with the loss of Justice, that I would be consumed with grief. I was not. I only felt a little sad, but it was tucked away by a strong sense of ecstasy that he had made it! I saw with my own eyes the place where he would forever dwell, and I knew it was a happy place. Though he was absent, I knew I was going to see him so soon, before long. And he was standing on the shore of Paradise waiting for me.
As I gazed into the blue abyss, my eyes seemed to have played tricks on me. That, or I inhaled too much seawater. With the salt settling on top my thirsty tongue, and the sun coming to rest in the wavy deep, I believed to see a flash of Paradise soar across the sky, but only momentarily. It’s beggaring description, intensity and beauty with Justice in the center of it all; gazing at me with his emerald eyes, and his hand stretched out longingly.
I slumped over into a deep sleep. When I woke up, it was dark outside, but the murky blue blanket sparkled with stars, and the moon was full and huge, making everything glow a pale, bright cobalt. I turned over only to see Christopher lying beside me. His body, and nose stared directly at the moon, and his eyes never blinked. A bright spark shone in his dark pupils, like a diamond in a shadowy cave. I sat up startled, thinking that he had died sometime during the night, for I heard no noise from him, only noise of a breathless sleeper. I ached with weariness, so I lay on my side, and stared at him.
“Christopher?” I whispered. He didn’t budge, only his lips moved slightly.
“The Savior has been born,” he managed. I thought he was losing his mind.
“What do you mean by that?” I asked, propping up my head, with the help of my arm.
“It’s Christmas. Doesn’t seem like it, since it’s so balmy and gorgeous, but back at our home it’s snowing,” he began, “Well, I should say, ‘it’s almost Christmas’, tomorrow is Christ’s birth,” he said. He finally crooked his head to look at me.
“Well, Merry Christmas,” I said, weakly. We were quiet for a long while. Then I asked him the question I had been pondering, since my early adventure.
“Christopher, why do you think God sent me back, only to die a few days later?” I began, “I mean, I almost felt, since I could sense him holding my hand, that he was encouraging me to move towards Paradise.”
Christopher turned back towards the moon. He looked hesitant to enlighten me.
“I needed someone to tell my mother something, and I didn’t want anyone, but you to tell her,” he kept staring, suddenly starting to gasp, as it had became a burden to breathe.
“Tell her I’m sorry, she’ll know what for,” Tears started coming into his eyes and streaming down his face. I couldn’t help, but also shed a few tears for his pitiful state.
“Christopher, we are all going to die, not just you,” I pleaded, as if that fact would somehow make him feel better. He shook his head, like he was refusing to tell me something.
“If I could have another sister, out of every girl in the whole world, I would want you,” he stated, matter of factly, like nothing would ever change his stubborn mind.
I sighed.
“Christopher, your death bed is talking,” I smirked. He smiled, and stopped his crying. Unexpectedly, I began to suffer shortness of breath, but I tried my best not to show it. It was funny-I was trying to be brave for his sake. The poor dear. He was always a good friend to me…I was the wild one of the bunch. He was calm and intelligent…and quiet. I wished I knew him better. To think that this boy, almost a man came back for me. I regretted all the times I didn’t talk to him. I would have never guessed in all my days that I would die by his side. I couldn’t choose a better person to hear my last words.
Christopher started his helpless laughing, recollecting something. His breathlessness, lightening, somewhat.
“I know who left you those love notes,” he said simply, with a mysterious look written across his forehead.
“Who? Was it you?” I asked, eagerly.
“No,” he shook his head with a fit of laughter.
“Then who?”
“It was Mark,” he said. I furrowed my brow and shook my head, then started to giggle weakly along with Christopher.
“That crazy kid! He is so unpredictable!” I said, hoarsely.
Moonbeams spewed across Christopher’s smiling face. Amongst the tragedy and the constant bobbing of the boat, I sensed hope grow inside my heart. It started as a seed, then grew into a flower. Hope shows up at strange times, and the most doubtful moments. Suddenly, I felt an urge to say something.
“I love you, Christopher,” I said, before I could think about it. He laughed harder than before, and blushed. I covered my mouth, not believing that I had just said that.
“Celeste, your death bed is talking,” he replied. I nodded in absolute agreement.
“Ok, since you look like a fool, I’ll say it to, ‘I love you like a sister’,” he chuckled. I could tell he felt better. My stupid, random sentences made him laugh. I certainly felt better, and happier. I flipped over, and joined his staring at the blue moon.
“Wait, Christopher, you didn’t answer my question. Why do you think God sent me back, only to die a few days later?” I said, sincerely. He looked down, guiltily and sighed. I furrowed my brow, pondering why he was acting this way.
“I saw Paradise, but it was too far away. I somehow knew, I had to turn back,” his chin quivered, and tears glistened in his eyes, once more.
“I didn’t want to die alone,” he managed, breathlessly. I could barely hold my head up with my overwhelming fatigue.
“But that doesn’t explain how I was pulled back,” I said, with fought inhalations. He was quiet for a long time. I turned my face towards him, and weakly put a hand on his shoulder. He closed his eyes, letting a last, bitter tear escape his tired eyes. His breathing was shallow, and slow, but so was mine. He smiled, feebly.
“I was holding your hand,”
I patted my hand that was placed on his shoulder, comfortingly.
“If you were frightened at the thought of dying alone, then don’t let go,” I whispered. So, he rested his hand on top of mine.
I fell asleep, never releasing his shoulder. During the night I felt someone tightly squeezing my hand, but then the stiffness subsided. My slumber was deep, and wonderful. It was blackness, and more blackness till and unexpected-

Thump! I flipped out of the boat and onto-sand! Our crafts had struck an island! I rubbed my legs against its warm sandiness, and screamed with unending joy. I looked about me, there was large palm trees, and healthy green leaves and bushes. People started peeping out at us, and I recognized some of them. I beamed and cried tears of joy. My Mother hugged Analise to herself with the bright sun blazing down on their genuine grins. Andrew pulled the boats ashore, his face flushed from the two days without water.
My family all began rushing away to meet those familiar faces that were overcome with joyfulness when they saw we were still alive! There were many hugs and tears of delight, with the happiness of reunion.
But amongst all the happiness, I sat there- realizing that we were forgetting something. I listened to the laughter and chatter that chided about me, but I had to ponder something. Something, something that needed to be wondered about. I stared at my boat that was rudely flipped over. It was empty-in other words, someone was missing. Where was Christopher? I sat up and blankly stared at the toppled craft, with the ocean behind it stretching every which direction. Without anyone telling me, I knew what happened. I knew exactly what happened. I recognized that sometime, during the promising thoughts of hopefulness, despair, love, laughter, and silence, that Paradise came. With Christopher’s shallow breath, I knew that he must have slipped away during the night. Death had come, and grasped his hand, but he clasped my hand to find the confidence and the courage to push himself forward. With that comforting thought, he wasn’t scared. I gazed at the rising sun, letting no tears of pain come to my eyes. Only tears of laughter that he was free, and he was with my Justice. He was far away, somewhere that was not imaginary, it was real. I put a hand on the craft’s rough wood, and smiled at the rushing waves.
“Celeste! Come on!” came a laughing voice. I beamed with happiness as I raced across the small beach and through the forest of palm trees the tilted over with age. There, some ways from the shore, many people gathered around a huge table covered with steaming food, surrounded by drolly faces.
“Merry Christmas!” Everyone cheered in harmony. I laughed.
“Christ’s birth!” I yelled with delight, remembering what Christopher had said to me. Everyone was overwhelmingly joyful, and not a quarrel came from anyone’s lips. I could never say again that it was almost Paradise, because I now knew what Paradise looks like. I knew what beauty was, but even though it was not Heaven, I was never so happy in my life. I saw a face, a familiar face darting this way and that in search of one who was no more. The only partial smile among the throng of delightful grins. This was the real moment; this is what I lived for. The only reason I was here was to say the words Christopher spoke. And I must say them…to his mother. I approached her, feeling sturdy ground between my sandy toes. I studied her eyes with crystals of tears in a dark cave. Her head
After the meal, I steadily walked to a small clearing. I was cheerful, but hardly ever spoke. My heart swelled with mixtures of feeling. I was thoughtful, more so than I had ever been in a long time. A lot had happened within the past few days that made me appreciate life more. I truly learned to count my blessings.
There was grass in this clearing that I walked through barefoot. In the middle of the clearing was a tree branch that dangled swings. Mark was on one, with his dog at his feet. Mark sat there, quietly, looking up. The temperature was moderate, and balmy in contrast the England our homeland-and quite different than the sensations of Paradise.
I silently headed towards Mark. The dog saw me, and hurried towards my ankles, sensing I needed a friend. I sat on the ground close to Mark, and his dog seated himself beside me. I laid myself down against the dog’s fur, and rubbed it lovingly. Its short fur tickled my skin.
“Sophia has never been so crushed when she heard that you had gone down with the ship,” he said, looking up towards the sky, much like Christopher did the night before.
I smiled.
“I hope she’s happy now,” I said, burying my fingers in the dog’s soft coat. He gave a small smirk.
“I’m happy now,” Mark said simply, looking at me.
“We are all happy,” I added. I stood up, and stepped a few feet away, and between two thin trees, I gazed out at the shimmering water, past the roughness, and soared into the sky, where images of two figures rejoiced in my vision of Heaven.
“What are you looking at?” he asked. He came towards me, but I didn’t look at him. I just stared at the color of the waves being thrashed about the scenic view. I stood in awe of the beauty of the sky, enjoying one more day on this earth.
“Christopher was right,” I began, “We weren’t all meant for Paradise this minute. I have work here, but I don’t know what it is,” I sighed. There was a small silence. I rubbed my hands against the tree’s rough bark, which softly scraped my hands.
“Ya know, it sounds awful to think that you were going to live just a few short days on those ‘so called’ lifeboats, just to die. I mean, like…I would be terrified,” He said quietly, in a questioning sort of way.
I stared at how the blue-green waves met the distance, touching the dimming blueness of the sky. I thought of how the strong waves swallowed the Ship Magnificent whole, and threatening to take me with it. I thought of its elegant innards and it’s beautiful appearance. I thought of how I rushed through the waters holding Justice’s hand, believing that he would never let me go. He did anyway when he reached the shore of Paradise. Then I thought of Christopher grasping my hand out of fear. He held my hand at his death. That tight squeeze of a warm, affectionate grasp was Christopher’s hold, assuring me that he was all right. He was telling me that he was almost there, and for me to go on with life, not frightened of death. Sad? I was now feeling some grief, but it was overcome with never-ending joy that they were at Paradise. And both Christopher and Justice were standing on the shore, waiting for me. Waiting for that moment when I arrive………….And I one-day will.
“Mark,” I began, turning to him. He stared at me with curiosity, but was soon replaced with a wide grin. I held out my hand, and he curiously reached to grasp it.
I smiled back, “If you’re scared of death, then let me take your hand, and I’ll tell you about a glimpse of Paradise,”
THE END