All That You Have is Your Soul | Teen Ink

All That You Have is Your Soul

By AlexTheGreat PLATINUM, Morganfield, Kentucky
AlexTheGreat PLATINUM, Morganfield, Kentucky

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it…"

- Roald Dahl

Summary:

As I head toward the park, a brown paper bag in my right hand, I see him. He’s standing by a tree, on the sidewalk on the other side of the road. Just a boy, probably my age, or a bit younger or older. Nothing special about him at all, I swear.
And then I start walking, not towards the park but across the road; across the stretch of pavement that holds great, metal behemoths called cars that race to wherever they’re going. And, I swear, I don’t even look.
  I try to stop my arm from moving, but I wave to him like he’s an old friend. He looks up, not really even surprised. In fact, he starts walking toward me, and I smile for some reason. We meet, a few yards from each other, under the shade of a great oak, and I can see confused people pass by us out of the corner of my eye. He gives me a little wave now, too, kind of sheepish, and I know something really special must be happening right now. So I ask:

“Do you want an apple?”

Alex G.

All That You Have is Your Soul