Into the Mind of the Average | Teen Ink

Into the Mind of the Average

By TonyToronto, Carpentersville, Illinois
TonyToronto, Carpentersville, Illinois

Author's note:

I was inspired to write this by another book and my own life experiences and I turned them into a piece of writing for my english class.

I was walking to English the other day when I saw her. Her name is Lex, Short for Alexus. Some people call her Lexus, you know, like the car? Anyways, I had just gotten out of class when I saw her and her friends walking in my direction. Lex smiled at me, and let me just say, she has a beautiful smile. I blushed and smiled back. I must have looked like a complete dork because her friends all laughed when I smiled.
Anyway, My name is Cory, but some people call me Cor, kind of stupid to me,  considering all they did was take one syllable, but hey it sounds cool. I guess you can say I’m a gearhead. I was raised working on cars and have always loved cars. So much that my room is filled with posters of cars, model cars, and tires from my Lexus. I have a 1995 Lexus LS400. I guess you can say I’m attracted to Lexus’, or would it be Lexie? F**k it. I don’t really care for grammar.
To continue what I was saying before I got sidetracked, every guy in school wants to race me or wants me to work on their car. I guess I’m a car guru at my school.
Now what I was saying about Lex. She’s a light skinned half Hispanic girl that lives around the corner from me. We used to be good friends when we were younger. Over time, she got popular, and she didn’t feel like being seen with a loser like me. But she’s been acting different since she saw me working on my car last month.
It was a warm summer day and I was under my Lexus taking out a bent tie rod when she walked up and asked if I could help her get her car started. So I, being the gentleman I am, walked with her to her house asking what seemed to be the issue other than it not starting.
We got to her house and I had her pop the hood. Her car’s decent, she has a 2012 Nissan Maxima with some Enkei rims her previous boyfriend had gave her. They broke up because he’s a prick but that’s another story for a different day.
As I was checking all the wires and was taking a seeing if her battery was dead, I noticed she was staring. Hard. She had a slight smirk and was biting her nail looking me up and down. I didn’t mind the attention.
I asked her to start the car and to my surprise she jumped as if startled after having gawked at me for at least five minutes straight. She started the car and it ignited to life with the slightest of ease. She asked what I had done and I told her simply that the wires were a little loose leading to her ECU. She didn’t understand what I had meant but that’s okay. She’s beautiful enough that it didn’t much make a difference.
Fast forward to current day, She smiled at me as I walked to English. She had the typical girl walking past her crush look. The smile, the look back and forth at the ground and at her crush, the whole nine. So me being the weird guy I am, waited for her after class, “accidently” bumping into her.
As she walked out I bumped her with my elbow and said “ Oh hey Lex, my bad.”
“Dude it’s fine, anyway How’s your Lex?” she asked as she winked at me referring to my car.
“She’s doing well, just picked up a turbo and another set of wheels” I replied.
And this is where my day became tragically interupted. Her Ex-boyfriend, Dalton, walks in between us. He asks her “What the f*** are you doing with this kid?” As he gives me a dirty glare.
Dalton McClure. One of the star athletes in our school, and a high ranked athlete in the state. He’s got that typical “jock” attitude and the typical ‘I’ll f*ck you up if you mess with me’ ego to him. Yet he gets all defensive when something happens to him acting as if he’s innocent.
As I’m waiting for Lex to respond to his question, I find myself in a predicament. I look to my left and there’s a crowd starting, chattering about what’s about to happen. I look to my right, and Dalton’s minions on that side. Grinning.
Dalton turns to me as he pushes Lex away for his two friends to hold against her will.
I feel his meaty hands on my chest ready to push me into the lockers behind me. But before he can put his force into the assumed push, I reverse and end up behind him. He then turns around throwing a punch. Although I anticipated this and duck low and rise up after he had missed and use all my strength to pick him up and throw him on the ground.
This is where I run for my life, because I now have three of the biggest kids in school chasing my a$$ through the hall. Luckily it was the last hour of the day, so I can run straight to the Lexus.
I get to my car in time to get in and leave before they were able to catch up. I guess you can say being 5’6” is beneficial to running through a crowd.
I made it home and began the turbo installation I had planned, laying under the car removing the return line from the the turbo I currently had on the car to than put it on the new, much bigger turbo I had just bough, thinking about what I had just done at school. That’s when I heard a knock on the hood.
I looked up ready to fight. And to my surprise. It was Lex. I went back to installing the Garrett Turbo.
“What Are you doing here Lex?” I asked angrily.
“I’m Sorry Cory.” She Replied.
I was angry. I felt setup. I felt as if she was acting nice and asking me for help with things to get my attention. Only to then lead me to the trap called Dalton.