Until The Bitter End | Teen Ink

Until The Bitter End

By n8alberda, Kenmore, Washington
n8alberda, Kenmore, Washington

Author's note:

I am a writer from the Seattle area. I love to write and have a hard time stopping. Once I get going, it is very hard to stop.

(In front of an office building labeled LorpCorp. Standing there is NELSON looking anxious while he glances at his wristwatch from time to time.  SHAWN runs on stage).

SHAWN

Sorry boss. I came here as fast as I could.

NELSON

Why were you late, boy?

SHAWN

I had to come straight from work. I rushed here as fast as I could, but I still wasn’t able to come in time.

NELSON

It’s not a big deal. We will still be able to pull off the plan. We will just need to do it a bit quicker. Did you bring it?

SHAWN

Of course. I had a hard time hiding it at work so that people wouldn’t notice, but I found a place in my car that hid it well.

NELSON

Good.

(NELSON pulls out a map).

NELSON

According to my wife’s map, we should be able to get in at the main entrance. We will just need to get past the receptionist.

SHAWN

Is the door locked?

NELSON

She doesn’t have it written on here. All she says is that there is an entrance that we can get in through the front. I just can’t believe how fast she was able to draw up this map of the building.

SHAWN

Why is that?

NELSON

She left a note saying that they stole her research and she quickly drew a map. She had just finished it when they decided that she needed to be killed. She was barely able to write a note and somehow the company overlooked it.

SHAWN

I’m so sorry boss. I didn’t know that she died that quickly.

NELSON

That’s why I planned this whole operation. I want to avenge her and get the research that she rightfully owns. It was stolen from her. She didn’t have a chance to react. When she knew she was going to die, she made a mark by the company safe. I should be able to break the lock. You do have the bomb, don’t you?

SHAWN

Of course. Do you ever listen to me?

NELSON

(Slightly angrily) Don’t test me right now, boy. We need to focus our efforts on breaking in. That way we can get this operation over and done with and take what was rightfully my wife’s.

SHAWN

So that’s what this is about. You never told me the context of your plan before. All you said was that you needed a bomb. That was the whole reason I took my job in the first place. To get a bomb for this operation.

NELSON

Knowing what you know, do you still want to accompany me on the mission? You can just hand me the bomb and I will do it all by myself. They won’t know who how I got the bomb and you will most likely be granted innocent.

SHAWN

No. I am sticking with you, boss. I will be with you until the bitter end.

NELSON

Thank you, boy. You can call me by my actual name. Through all of this turmoil, it seems that I have gained a friend…Shawn.

SHAWN

As have I, Nelson.

NELSON

Alright. Let’s start the operation. We better make our way to the entrance.

(NELSON and SHAWN make their way to the entrance and hide in the bushes so they are not seen.)

NELSON

(Whispering) We just need to hide and sneak in when someone comes. I do have a gun with me, but I will only use it if I absolutely need to.

(NELSON and SHAWN wait for 30 minutes until PERSON 1 walks through the door without having to use a key).

SHAWN

Oops. Should’ve just tried the door, I guess.

NELSON

Oh well. Let’s go inside.

(NELSON and SHAWN run around many halls looking for the safe. No one is in the building. It is eerily quiet).

NELSON

Where is everyone?

SHAWN

I wonder if they have a gathering of some sort.

(Ding-dong).

SPEAKER

Message to all employees: if you are not at the meeting in the basement right now, please head there immediately.

SHAWN

Well that explains it.

NELSON

Let’s keep moving while everyone is occupied.

(NELSON and SHAWN hurry down a few more halls).

NELSON

Well this is where she marked her map.

SHAWN

This may not be a great time to ask, but how did you get that map?

NELSON

One of her coworkers brought it to me after her death. The killers didn’t notice it. She found it and knew it was for me and she made sure that it got to me.

SHAWN

Won’t we kill her with the bomb?

NELSON

No. I told her to call in sick today, so that she wouldn’t be killed.

SHAWN

Oh good. I was worried you were going to kill her along with all the other people.

NELSON

I’m not that much of a monster. Help me look around. There must be something that unlocks the area to the safe.

(NELSON and SHAWN feel around the wall until they come across a switch. One of the wall panels moves and reveals the safe).

NELSON

Good going, Shawn. Now all I have to do is try and unlock the safe. (Makes hand motions like turning a safe dial and moving things around). Let’s see, you turn this here, move that, and voila. The safe is open.

SHAWN

Let’s get what we needed and get out of here.

NELSON

Agreed. Start setting the bomb while I get the contents out of here.

SHAWN

How long should I set it for?

NELSON

Let’s give it five minutes. I am not sure how to get to the entrance, so it may take us a while just by looking at the map.

SHAWN

Alright, I will do just that.

(The timer is set for five minutes. NELSON grabs the contents of the safe).

NELSON

Let’s get out of here. Quickly now!

(NELSON and SHAWN run through the halls of the building. PERSON 1 and PERSON 2 start coming out of the elevators to see them running).

PERSON 1

What is going on?

PERSON 2

Do those people even work here?

PERSON 1

Why are they running?

PERSON 2

The receptionist must have forgotten to lock the door again before the meeting. Let’s just let them go. We have bigger fish to fry.

(NELSON and SHAWN find their way to the entrance. They run out of the building just before they hear an explosion. The duo turns around).

NELSON

We did it, Shawn.

SHAWN

We did. I can’t believe we were able to pull it off.

NELSON

All it takes is a little determination. If you set your mind to it, you can do anything. And now that I have this, I can finally be at peace.

(NELSON and SHAWN watch the building crumble from a safe distance until it is a pile of rubble).

SHAWN

No sign of the people.

NELSON

They must be covered by the rubble. There is no way they were able to figure out what our plan was in that short of time. They were just coming out. There is no way they survived.

SHAWN

That sounds likely. A blast that size would have killed them anyway. We are lucky not to be hurt.

NELSON

And now I can finally be at peace. There is just one thing left to do that I had forgotten about.

SHAWN

What is it boss?

(NELSON gets out his gun and points it at SHAWN).

SHAWN

(Fearfully) Boss…I mean Nelson…what are you doing?!

NELSON

I am doing something I should have done a long time ago. Do not worry. It won’t hurt a bit.

(SHAWN closes his eyes. There is a bang. When he opens his eyes after not feeling a thing, he sees his boss lying on the ground).

SHAWN

(Yells) NELSON!

(SHAWN runs over to NELSON and gets on his knees next to him).

SHAWN

Why?! Why Nelson, why?!

NELSON

I had always planned on doing this, Shawn. I knew that I would finally have the guts to reunite with my wife if I had finally recovered her research back. I had planned this from the start. I wasn’t going to use the gun on other people. It was for myself.

SHAWN

Boss…

NELSON

Don’t worry about me, Shawn. I will be fine. I want you to take my wife’s research and hide it somewhere safe. I want you to leave before…before…

SHAWN

(Yells) NELSON!

(NELSON collapses and dies. SHAWN starts crying).

SHAWN

Boss…all I wanted was for you to be happy. I helped you in hopes for you to finally be happy. If this is what you intended to do, then so be it. I will do as you say.

(SHAWN takes off and runs off stage).

Fin